Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2021, 04:26 AM

332 posts, read 219,915 times

Advertisements

Anyone provide any clues as to how you get this beautiful mental tactic to just snap into place. I feel it is absolutely crucial given the age we live in. Take all that mental garbage and lock it in the basement. Now, I need this on command, at the snap of a finger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 01:09 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Picture an old Library card catalog or say, a Safety Deposit box array in a bank vault. They get labelled and you keep filing the associated input into those areas. The room technique is another as you describe. Picture a house with various rooms and begin associated / grouping the item / topics / issues into respective rooms.

Examples:
Annoying neighbors - the outside garbage can
Abuse - in the garbage disposal unit.
Health Concerns you can't control - picture it as the tools / steps to help mitigate

Another technique (depending on what you are seeking to accomplish) is to first recognize the nature of the external input(s) for the systems (spheres) within which they function and in turn re-prioritize them or sublimate them.

For example, if it is constant bad news / sky is falling / earth is coming to an end news media, shut it off, or limit it to things that are more relevant. For example, the news media is driven by ratings and ratings are gained by being as sensational and attention grabbing as possible. Also, once you start viewing the flow of inputs as what someone (program director/ corporate entity) wants to you to see, hear, etc... it makes it easier to say, OK, I am going to file that or limit it altogether and pursue other systems for news and information that have less of an emphasis on making me into a manipulable instrument of consumption and fear.

If it is say, family / friends making stupid comments limit the contact points and the atmosphere within which you do have contact. Become knowledgeable on how these systems work to reorient some of their "white noise" internally and introspectively to realize the same, that many of the external stimuli to them are for someone else's idea of what they want or how they want you to react. I.E. It's called programming for a reason. It is what someone else deems worthy of covering.

If there is a co-worker person you see you are overly attracted to sexually and you shouldn't be based on your status or relation to them in said environment. Picture them as some status to remove the allure. For example, if you're male and the female in office makes you get all hot and bothered, start imagining her as your sister or your mother at that age and how you would react and behave.

If it is something that tends to make you get overly emotional, say a political issue, picture the topic first as a container and that only when you are in the room with that container can you emote. If you can't get into the location mentally you can't be bothered by it. An example of this would be when you observe people who are easily triggered by flashpoint issues. Don't become one of them. Picture the flashpoint issue (trigger) as being someplace else so you do not over react to it.

Another would be personal insults or degrading comments (depending on the situation and environment) picture the comments as water and yourself as say a duck and the comments roll off of you like water on a ducks back.

It won't happen overnight, I think each individual depending on how they were raised / acculturated to the society and environment in which they live, may already do so to various degrees. You will need to hone the skill for whatever you feel is mentally sapping you or depressing you or impacting you to the degree you need to put it all in a location to control it better.

Hope this helps, YMMV... not a psychologist but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once

Old 02-22-2021, 10:54 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Probably A. practice (including being very strict with yourself: "I will not think about this. No, I said I will NOT" coupled with learning good distraction techniques-- whether that's calling a friend to chat, watching TV, doing a hobby, etc.) and B. keeping out of the situations as much as possible (if reading the news/reading Facebook/talking to Aunt Sheila upsets you, don't read the news/go on Facebook/call Aunt Sheila, etc.)

Old 02-26-2021, 05:09 AM

720 posts, read 427,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithfullizhe View Post
Anyone provide any clues as to how you get this beautiful mental tactic to just snap into place. I feel it is absolutely crucial given the age we live in. Take all that mental garbage and lock it in the basement. Now, I need this on command, at the snap of a finger.
This is what learning to meditate did to me - the easiest way is to sit down and just take a breath in for like 5-6 seconds and then let it out again around the same duration.

Thoughts will inevitably start rising up from 'this is stupid, it won't work' to 'I shouldn't have told Peter that mean thing'.
At the point you REALIZE you are not doing the exercise any more - you stop your thinking process and just go back to deep breaths.
Remember - thinking that you failed the exercise is still thinking.

No need to judge, no need to get upset or criticize - just meditate.

Whatever you do, however small it seems, it is fine. Even if you only try it once and it isn't for you, thats still fine, you'll find some way.
After I got the hang of it, when I notice myself getting irritated over something, or thinking more than I would like, I just pause and take a couple of deep breaths and it helps me reset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology