Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 08:26 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
Maybe they don't know maybe they haven't thought about it.
lol. The point is to think about it at the time. I'm thinking people who can't or won't do that might have some problems at work, interviews, etc. It's laziness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2021, 09:52 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I know someone who answers most questions with ¨I don´t know¨ and it seems to me to be some kind of cop-out for just not engaging in conversation. Usually if people don´t know, they will throw out some ideas or speculations just to keep the conversation going.

This appears to me to be a ¨not interested¨ shut-down of sorts. Often I will then say ¨I KNOW you don´t KNOW for sure, but do you have any ideas?¨

I really like this person, but it unless they initiate a topic, it´s an ¨I don´t know´ situation. On their own topics, they will go on and on and on, happily.

I am just discussing general topics, nothing hot-button. Movies, space travel, farming, neighbors, animals, weather, whatever.

What do you think?

I can't imagine this type of person is much fun to be around. They might as well be a bump on a log. However, this type of person is PERFECT for (self-centered) yakkers out there who like to run their mouth & just talk to anyone who'll listen & never let anyone get a word in edgewise.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:19 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
lol. The point is to think about it at the time. I'm thinking people who can't or won't do that might have some problems at work, interviews, etc. It's laziness.
yes, laziness of mind! ~ and/or lackluster personality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post

That’s not positive reinforcement, that’s taking a shot at him.

Your examples throughout this thread strike me as things you’re interested in that others aren’t
, or they are but don’t care to discuss in the same great detail. Everyone is wired differently.
I think the example about watching the film 'The Danish Girl' is an excellent example used by the OP.

Most people who have intellectual curiosity would be interested in the architecture of Copenhagen in the film....or would have some comments on the ambience of Copenhagen along with the aesthetics and architecture of the city, especially a person who has been to Copenhagen like the OP's husband has.

And many people would be interested in the performance of the actor in the film or react to the character portrayed or maybe express some type of emotion about what occurred with the character/actor in the film...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology