Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 04:14 PM

585 posts, read 495,621 times

Advertisements

Like for my physical. My heart races my blood pressure through the roof. My stomach a mess. Dizzy, headache. I can’t calm down. I have a few more test and appts coming up and I dread it because I calm down. I used to drink sleepy time and camomile tea and that seemed to help but now nothing does. The drs just dismiss my anxiety and order test and meds. When I get stressed about something I just can’t function.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 04:18 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,055,664 times
My wife is the same way, I always tell her that "It's like taking the dog to the vet". She just doesn't like going to doctors. I suspect there are a lot more people like you and my wife.

Old 03-11-2021, 04:35 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
Like for my physical. My heart races my blood pressure through the roof. My stomach a mess. Dizzy, headache. I can’t calm down. I have a few more test and appts coming up and I dread it because I calm down. I used to drink sleepy time and camomile tea and that seemed to help but now nothing does. The drs just dismiss my anxiety and order test and meds. When I get stressed about something I just can’t function.
Have you considered talking with a psychiatrist?

I had a 90 minute video visit with one last year. He diagnosed me with generalized anxiety disorder and prescribed medications.

You might want to try a video visit. You don't have to leave home for it.

Old 03-11-2021, 04:40 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,055,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Have you considered talking with a psychiatrist?

I had a 90 minute video visit with one last year. He diagnosed me with generalized anxiety disorder and prescribed medications.

You might want to try a video visit. You don't have to leave home for it.

THIS is a great idea !

Old 03-11-2021, 09:43 PM

6,868 posts, read 4,870,251 times
It's called white coat syndrome.

Old 03-11-2021, 10:07 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I just had my first video dr visit. It was great. I also have white coat syndrome. My blood pressure is high when I go to the doctor, but would be fine when I'd go give blood. Dr. wanted to put me on meds for high blood pressure, but I showed her my donor card where they record my blood pressure. She suggested I also take it at home and at home and show her a record for my file.

What's helped me is cognitive behavior therapy, which helps with changing how I think, and I am into meditation now, too, and Buddhism. That's helped a lot, too. Learning how to relax and calm my mind.

You can learn how to control your anxiety and reactions. Takes time, but it can be done.

Old 03-12-2021, 04:14 AM

585 posts, read 495,621 times
The cardiologist told me most people have high blood pressure and not white coat syndrome.

Old 03-12-2021, 06:12 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
I use to be that way.

My Father, with all his complaining about gatekeeper medicine when I was a teen, put a terrific fear of doctors in me. Oh, the ways parents unknowingly condition their children. I ended up avoiding, dodging them as much as possible. Using mind over matter to define my world into what was acceptable to me.

Life eventually catches up with you, one way or another. While I am terrified that this or that doctor is going to tell me something terrible now that I have lost my Mount Olympus card (once, we were Gods), I also know I have power in stepping up to the bat.

Part of the change does come in these Covid times. I had cataracts, I was going blind, was I going to be able to get my operations? I did get them but I learned not to delay my medical appointments for they are very hard to get.

On a side point, I found out I was getting cataracts because I learned that it was a law that one needed their eye exam once a year, because of driving I guess, and it was during that yearly exam, they were found. Laws, interesting things for behavior modification.

Finally, the other day I had an eye appointment with my retina doctor where he is giving me steroid shots into each eye ball with a hypodermic needle. He numbs each eye, has me look in the opposite direction. There is no pain but I do feel the pressure and I have been clenching which I should not do......but who wouldn't?

Well, this time, I went "rag doll", where right before the shot, I "cut the strings" to my arms, let my feet slip off the step of the chair, (and entered an imaginary world, too, for a second) and just let everything hang.........and the shots went better, hardly any clenching at all.

Old 03-12-2021, 10:05 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I am that way. I have a rare thyroid condition where a cement-like substance was growing off my thyroid and invading my trachea. I knew I had nodules on my thyroid, but my neck swelled up and felt like a rock. Not until I was gasping for air when I spoke did I go see the doctor.

I've fled the World Trade Center terrorist attacks twice, survived an abusive marriage, dealt with losing everything in a house fire...but the thought of going to a doctor makes me so ill that I avoid it as much as possible. It is irrational, and I know it, but that doesn't make that intense anxiety go away.

I do go to the endocrinologist regularly ever since the thyroid thing happened back in 2013 and I get all my bloodwork done, but I haven't had any of the other normal tests and whatnot or a regular physical in years. As soon as I make an appointment, I will go into an intense state of anxiety, and I just can't stand it.

I'm OK with the dentist and the eye doctor, and I'm scheduled for my vaccine. Shots don't bother me.

Old 03-12-2021, 11:36 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
Try this, before the visit close your eyes and imagine you are walking from your car to the front door. Feeling anxious, start over. Be sure to use as much detail as possible so you are deconditioning yourself. So, you get to the front desk to check in and again you start to feel anxious so start from the beginning again with detail. Keep repeating this imaginary visit until you are no longer feeling anxious, just remember to stop and start over again each time you get nervous. This works well also for surgery or any stressful situation you know about in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology