Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where Do You Put Yourself on a Feminine/Masculine Scale?
Super Masculine 24 17.91%
Super Feminine 19 14.18%
Medium Masculine 34 25.37%
Medium Feminine 27 20.15%
A Little Masculine 13 9.70%
A Little Feminine 11 8.21%
Other: Please explain in comments 6 4.48%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 12:19 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times

Advertisements

This should be in the Psych forum....your options are incomplete.

Many years ago (in the '70s?, ha) some theories came about with the idea that people don't just have to be feminine OR masculine...that you can be a bit or a lot of both. If you happen to be a fair amount of both fem and masc. you would be "androgynous". Also, you can be "neither":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bem_Sex-Role_Inventory
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2021, 12:35 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,582 times
I am probably somewhere squarely in the middle.

I like jewelry and enjoy dance & other artistic pursuits.

I also like working on cars, solving logic problems and my idea of well put together is jeans and a clean t-shirt.

Old 04-10-2021, 01:42 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Where? Nowhere. Don't care and it doesn't matter.

Old 04-10-2021, 07:47 PM

84 posts, read 55,044 times
If I compare myself to other women (in general), I'm very masculine. So much of what is considered "feminine" feels utterly alien to me. I don't relate very well to most women, and don't have many female friends (and the ones I do are oddballs like me).

But if I compare myself to men (in general), I'm not particularly masculine. I do, however, have an easier time relating to and socializing with men (and usually skilled blue-collar types, not educated professionals or Sensitive New Age Guys), so that's who most of my friends tend to be.

So given that, and that "a little masculine" feels closest to my own experience (though it's actually somewhere in between "a little" and "medium"), there you have it.

Old 04-11-2021, 02:46 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,349,573 times
Without knowing the parameters, I put Medium Feminine because I think I am fairly average in the respect.

I am heterosexual, and I like "chick flicks" (although I dislike Harlequin-romance-type novels), and I likesome "traditionally feminine" hobbies like baking, and when I was younger, I liked dressing up (and I still like longer hair on me than most old ladies wear), but I also love to go tent camping and "roughing it", and I like some dramatic action thrillers that are long on drama but short on gore and violence.

However, I am much more objective and analytical than I am emotional. (I very rarely cry.) But, OTOH, I confess that I do enjoy YouTube videos of kittens, puppies and babies.

Old 04-11-2021, 09:33 AM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,989 times
Definitely a man's man, which seems to be a rarity among my fellow soy drinking millennials.

The media's hatred for testosterone and masculinity has really made an impact, and I don't think it's been for the better.

Old 04-11-2021, 10:14 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Interesting. Hmmm. Well, there is absolutely no doubt that I am a man. In appearance and action. My physical side I suppose falls in the super masculine section. Emotionally I'm not so tough. I can be hurt quite easily and my heart has been known to be a bit to open and giving. I'm sentimental, and I'm not so hard bitten in areas involving my heart. And that's cost me big...........
Couldn't put it better at describing myself.

Thanks for doing the heavy lifting.

Old 04-11-2021, 11:29 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
I think it's a rather strange question and poll but I voted anyway, I voted for Other. I'd say I'm equally feminine and masculine. Not super or medium or a little bit of either trait (those choices don't make sense, how can I possibly choose one without also choosing all the others?), I'm just an individual with an equal combination of both feminine and masculine traits.

Old 04-11-2021, 01:01 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,574,171 times
I’m super feminine & I would say my fiancé is super masculine....tho it is a weird poll.

AND...wouldn’t “medium feminine” be the same thing as “medium masculine”...or just neutral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
As for me, I say I'm super masculine, but first I'll check with my wife what my choice should be, lol.

Lol...

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
The categories are very clunky.

Ita. IMO feeling feminine or masculine is feeling comfortable with your body & identifying with your gender....so can you do that a “little” or “medium”?

Last edited by TashaPosh; 04-11-2021 at 01:23 PM..

Old 04-11-2021, 03:16 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I’m super feminine & I would say my fiancé is super masculine....tho it is a weird poll.

AND...wouldn’t “medium feminine” be the same thing as “medium masculine”...or just neutral.

Lol...

edit:

Ita. IMO feeling feminine or masculine is feeling comfortable with your body & identifying with your gender....so can you do that a “little” or “medium”?
Comfortable "with your body"? As in your sex organs or secondary sexual characteristics or both? Many people don't like their bodies but that is not usually related to femininity or masculinity.

Stick thin women who are "straight up and down" with no boobs or butt, e.g. - if they like their bodies are they more feminine? Or are they less feminine because they like their "boyish" body?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology