Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2021, 11:10 AM

1 posts, read 3,076 times

Advertisements

At 27 years old, i am closed home with my family unable to go out because i have no money, i am not from a poor family but my parents don't trust me, so my mother is able to give me money so i give this money to someone else who is homeless when me myself i have nothing.

I have studied psychology, but have stopped because of a professor who did not like my intervention, i don't live in US but in african country where professors do not talk english or french, so if you do research with a foreign language he will not like this, even if in our native language we have not much ressources ,

This problem led me to stop the university, and i am completely lost, trying to write letters to authorities so i can go back th the university, but the problem is that i don't want to follow the same path, all students on my country, and all african countries are so limited, that means that a phd here equals a first year student in the united states, or less, professors don't give a new thing to students i need to go much faster, because i have no problem on working with foreign researchers

So the fact is that i am completely destroyed after many failings, and bad thinking of my family and friends about me, wich is making it worst, and i dont know how to comback to life and not to think about suicide

any adivce will be welcomed

Old 04-13-2021, 03:46 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Are there any suicide hotlines in your country that you could call?

Here is two lists of hotlines all over the world: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...e_crisis_lines

https://findahelpline.com/i/iasp

Old 04-14-2021, 04:42 PM

4,939 posts, read 3,315,369 times
Try posting your question here www.thestudentroom.co.uk/ there is a international students section. Someone there might have some practical advice.

There is www.open.edu/openlearn/free-courses/

See https://talk.collegeconfidential.com sometimes foreign students ask questions there.

Keep faith in yourself. Try to find someone to talk to. Maybe a local student help line.

Old 04-15-2021, 01:50 AM

588 posts, read 321,995 times
You are still very young. Do not get discouraged on your educational path and the many questions you have. It is a step by step process and normal to adjust your course. Try not to put excessive pressure on yourself. Is there anyone you can talk to- school counselor, friends you trust, clergy. Please do not hurt yourself. You need more support. Please seek out others, and post here too.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:39 AM

928 posts, read 499,632 times
Many of us go through a crisis around your age looking for direction. I sure did. The fact you don't have the opportunities where you live means you should look at attending a university in another country. Probably easier than ever before to apply to a university in the U.S., which would really change your life. Or you could try to go to a European country. I've been removed from that world for so long, I wouldn't know where to start, but I'm sure there's plenty of online resources to get you started. Don't give up yet. At least wait until you're in your 50's if life hasn't worked out. But 27 is too young to give up.

Old 04-16-2021, 08:33 AM

720 posts, read 428,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heureux_prince View Post
At 27 years old, i am closed home with my family unable to go out because i have no money, i am not from a poor family but my parents don't trust me, so my mother is able to give me money so i give this money to someone else who is homeless when me myself i have nothing.

I have studied psychology, but have stopped because of a professor who did not like my intervention, i don't live in US but in african country where professors do not talk english or french, so if you do research with a foreign language he will not like this, even if in our native language we have not much ressources ,

This problem led me to stop the university, and i am completely lost, trying to write letters to authorities so i can go back th the university, but the problem is that i don't want to follow the same path, all students on my country, and all african countries are so limited, that means that a phd here equals a first year student in the united states, or less, professors don't give a new thing to students i need to go much faster, because i have no problem on working with foreign researchers

So the fact is that i am completely destroyed after many failings, and bad thinking of my family and friends about me, wich is making it worst, and i dont know how to comback to life and not to think about suicide

any adivce will be welcomed
The truth is that you're gonna think about suicide for some time, but what you can do is change the way you think about it. As you say you are currently lost, not really knowing what to do. This is a difficult situation to be in - I feel for you - but it is not the end of the world. Remember that there have been good times in your life, and you can slowly start building towards a goal that will make you happy. Maybe you can slowly start looking at options outside of your country. I would recommend Europe, since I come from Greece and am currently living in Germany. It will be hard at first, but having a goal can be great motivation and you can start having positive thoughts about the future.

If you think about suicide too much, remember that you can always get help from a psychologist or from suicide hotlines. It's not something to be embarassed about. Depression is a real thing. It can make you unable to think rationally, some days even rob you of your energy to get out of the bed.

Accept your current emotional situation, but don't give up on yourself. If someone else came to you and told you the same things that you wrote us, what would you tell them? I'm pretty sure you'd sympathize and encourage them to focus on getting better. So do yourself a favor and treat yourself how you like to treat others. Kindly.

Hope is a powerful thing, and I can tell you from personal experience that it is possible to get back on track. Don't rush it. Don't criticize yourself and don't let criticism bring you down.
But also try to do the things that you want. I'm sure you want to be healthy, so take care of yourself.
Live life how you want it. Good luck, have patience and i wish you happiness my friend - you can do it.

Old 04-18-2021, 10:37 AM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Unfortunately, OP has not been back. I hope it's not for a bad reason.

Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-18-2021 at 11:36 AM..

Old 04-18-2021, 11:40 AM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times
This thread is now closed; inappropriate posts have been deleted.

OP, City-Data cannot serve as a substitute for professional therapy. Please seek professional help as soon as possible. Some members have posted helpful advice and provided links to sources which you may find helpful in your search to improve your life and outlook. We wish you the best and hope you will have a bright future. Keep hope alive.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology