Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What makes you happy?
My Career 4 4.30%
My Family / Friends 38 40.86%
My Relationship With Life 29 31.18%
My Relationship With Religion 11 11.83%
Other 31 33.33%
Nothing - I Am Searching Too 18 19.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 07:20 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,217,168 times

Advertisements

I love playing both my acoustic and my electric guitar. Building furniture can be challenging, but very rewarding. I also love taking long walks with my wife and picking up trash as we go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 08:26 AM

1,299 posts, read 822,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Spring chickens make a nice fantasy but rarely work out in the real world unless you are a spring chicken too. If you start out in love and stay in love, growing old together is a plus.

Yep. (been married 27 years myself). I love my husband very much, and having a partner in crime all these years has been a great joy.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:05 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I never felt poorer in my life than when I lived in LA, waiting for a bus in my early 20's. It seemed the people having a great time driving past me in their luxury cars were mocking me. Many LA people were quite superficial, poor and rich alike. The poor were just existing, and the rich were living in some sort of fantasy. I couldn't get a decent job there so I relocated to my birthplace of Brooklyn NY and made a life for myself. I never felt poor riding a subway or bus in NY. If anything people in NY were brutally honest and alert. Becoming street smart quickly was necessary for survival, whether in the subway or street or at your job. Bums and millionaires alike rode the subway. At some point in my mid to late 40's I stopped striving for more and learned to appreciate what I had. Some people never do and are never satisfied no matter what they achieve. The light bulb went off and I realized I was exactly where I was supposed to be. I wasn't ever going to be comfortable anywhere else, doing anything else. I know it's a cliché, but you really can look at the glass as half full or half empty. Now at close to 75 I can honestly say I did it my way.
Yes, your post reflects wisdom that comes from experience and honest self-examination.

Buddha says that reaching Niravana is "the end of desire." In our Western style of capitalism, we're marketed to to always want "more." And that owning the next, shiny new thing will make us happy Hah! It's never-ending.

A wonderful Chinese neighbor I had once told me, "If you constantly compare yourself with those who have more, you will always be dis-satisfied.

But, if you compare yourself with those who have less (than you do), you will be satisfied."

Every time, envy or desire for shiny new things rears its head, I repeat her words to myself. Works for me. I have so much compared to so many. Not rich by any means but all my basic needs are met and I have love and friendship.

These things make me happy. Simple pleasures. A good book. Being in nature. Growing flowers. Laughter. Riding my bike.

Old 04-22-2021, 12:45 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
What's "a relationship with life"?

Old 04-22-2021, 01:35 PM

728 posts, read 302,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

It's like your role as a character in a movie. All of us know our respective parts in life. Most of us don't like how we are cast. For example, you are Dopey in "Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs". You are not happy because you would rather be the Prince.

Then, if you are me, you have doubts about life itself as not what it is made out to be. You would be curious about your relationship with this movie set of a life.

Old 04-22-2021, 01:43 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Interesting. Yes, I've often wondered about this "movie set of a life" and our respective roles in it.

Old 04-22-2021, 06:40 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,992,392 times
I am in the homestretch to full retirement and I have dramatically cut done my work hours. However I like to feel productive and that usually means finding a new task to complete. I have quite a few, enough to last over a year at least. After that I really don't know.

I am always there for my family and friends. It is a great support system for all of us and a great comfort as well.

I have a great wife also.

But day to day happiness, just having a cup of coffee in the morning and going online and reading. Walking around. Watching everything come into bloom now in spring. Good music.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:16 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
I wanted to add, my relationship with the Lord brings me a lasting joy. Happiness depends more on external circumstances.

Old 04-23-2021, 03:59 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
its the ALL in for accepting life in all its trials and tribulations.

I've met folks that "were not in the moment", ergo having a disconnect with life experiences.

Old 04-23-2021, 05:53 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
I have a life that centers around my friends, pets, hobbies and job. I deal with anxiety, depression, ADHD and C-PTSD. But overall, my life is pretty happy. I bounce out of bed most days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology