Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2021, 07:37 AM

9,906 posts, read 14,766,740 times

Advertisements

As I understand it, an EEG test measures electrical activities in the brain with several nodes placed on different part of the scalp and registering the findings over a certain period of time, usually one or two hours. I also know that certain patterns typical of people that suffered psychological and emotional abuse becomes apparent, such as abused people show less activity in the left hemisphere of the brain unlike people that haven't been abused.

What isn't clear to me are the following:

Does it recognize abuse that took place in the past?

Does it recognize abuse that is taking place?

Does it recognize the type of abuse by the electrical impulses in the brain?

Any other input or questions are also welcomed here. Hopefully someone will answer them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2021, 07:51 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,299,302 times
This is akin to asking how a callous began. Was it from hard work? Was it a bad shoe? Was it because of inherent structural difficulties? A brain scan looks at essential 'wear patterns' of neurological activity. It won't show why, only show what's there. The greater question is can the brain/human adjust in a compensatory fashion to what is show as a liability or deficit (the answer to this latter issue is yes; finding that is worth the search). Additionally, when you have compensated as a person (healing), the brain may show the same pattern but not indicate how well the person has done afterwards or what they find as a strength.

Talking with a person answers many questions. Please don't split the brain from the human who uses it. You will be blown away by health in light of deficiencies, losses, and 'what shouldn't be.' We really live out miracles every day. I hope you find them in your quest for answers.

Old 04-25-2021, 03:25 AM

716 posts, read 423,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
This is akin to asking how a callous began. Was it from hard work? Was it a bad shoe? Was it because of inherent structural difficulties? A brain scan looks at essential 'wear patterns' of neurological activity. It won't show why, only show what's there. The greater question is can the brain/human adjust in a compensatory fashion to what is show as a liability or deficit (the answer to this latter issue is yes; finding that is worth the search). Additionally, when you have compensated as a person (healing), the brain may show the same pattern but not indicate how well the person has done afterwards or what they find as a strength.

Talking with a person answers many questions. Please don't split the brain from the human who uses it. You will be blown away by health in light of deficiencies, losses, and 'what shouldn't be.' We really live out miracles every day. I hope you find them in your quest for answers.
I think OP was mostly interested in finding out if you can singlehandledly use that EEG thing to determine physical or psychological abuse, but you raise an important point about not splitting the brain from the person, as well as the past and the present.

I read a bit on it on wikipedia but didnt find anything about abuse.
Mainly about trauma on the cortex and that it is mostly surface level and cant successfully reach deeper parts of the brain. Do you have any relevant links op? sounds interesting to me.

Old 05-03-2021, 06:51 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,234,150 times
no...no....and no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology