Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 01:08 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,306,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
What IS promiscuous? Anyone other than the man you marry? Is it some arbitrary number fixed in your mind...like "well, let's see...I've slept with 12 women in my life so far, so SHE should have less than that".
I define promiscuity as intentionally seeking sex from men you are not looking for an emotional attachment with.

Quote:
Regarding whether being promiscuous is a way of reclaiming their sexuality after sexual assault...sure, maybe for some women that's what it is...maybe a way of reclaiming THEIR choice in the matter. But isn't it just a part of the over all idea that we get to own our sexuality, and what it means to us?
Fair point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2021, 01:16 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,306,051 times
Quote:
Well, thankfully, more people are aware now that circumcision is a choice for the parents to make, and not necessarily a health issue. My dad was circumcised when he was in his 20's. The Airforce made him do it.
This still seems like government over reach to me.

Quote:
My stepdad was circumcised at the age of 17. I don't exactly remember why.

Yes, thankfully female genital mutilation is banned in the US. But it's happened in the US. Immigrants bring some of their traditions with them after all. Actually, over 500,000 women have been circumcised, in the US.
I didn't know that. I knew it was happening overseas, but I assumed we were much more successful stomping that out here. That is wrong.

Old 05-06-2021, 01:28 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
This still seems like government over reach to me.

I didn't know that. I knew it was happening overseas, but I assumed we were much more successful stomping that out here. That is wrong.

And the reason for it is so these women won't feel sexual pleasure, and thus won't be tempted to cheat, and guarantees sexual purity.

Old 05-06-2021, 01:29 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelato View Post
In the Real Slim Shady, Eminen has this line where he says "Well Will Smith doesn't need to cuss to sell records, well I do" and then he drops an F bomb. With Cardi B, I think her motivation is pretty much the same Eminem's, she wants to sell records and controversy sells records.

But what is more interesting to me is that other people are saying that her actions reflect her sexual empowerment and I am trying to understand why these people drew that conclusion. Other people's reaction to Cardi B is far more interesting to me than Cardi B herself.
I guess I don't understand the big deal. It's just a dirty song. Women have done dirty songs before, just like men have. I think it just comes along with the culture we have right now of celebrating things for odd reasons that aren't really clear, then people make money and/or progress politically with these messages.

Women have been sexually empowered since the late sixties. Anyone remember hippie chicks and free love? They didn't need to jump around and scream and twerk and cake on makeup, they just felt free to enjoy sex without making a big production.

I don't see why WAP is really even on the radar as anything other than another explicit song or how it would be empowering to anyone. It's got us convinced it is something unique because it was marketed to us that way to make a buzz and get some people rich.

Old 05-07-2021, 11:56 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I guess I don't understand the big deal. It's just a dirty song. Women have done dirty songs before, just like men have. I think it just comes along with the culture we have right now of celebrating things for odd reasons that aren't really clear, then people make money and/or progress politically with these messages.

Women have been sexually empowered since the late sixties. Anyone remember hippie chicks and free love? They didn't need to jump around and scream and twerk and cake on makeup, they just felt free to enjoy sex without making a big production.

I don't see why WAP is really even on the radar as anything other than another explicit song or how it would be empowering to anyone. It's got us convinced it is something unique because it was marketed to us that way to make a buzz and get some people rich.
Well, what also cracks me up about whether WAP is all that special, is that um... Hello, Genitorturers? Lords of Acid?? There have been women singing gratuitously sexual lyrics and doing shocking things on stage, for a long while...they just, I guess, were not that popular or mainstream? I don't recall any particular pearl clutching about them.

Like maybe we just knew with certain forms of shock rock and whatever that the more attention they were given by the media and the moralizing conservative types, the more they'd appeal to the actual fanbase and demographics they were trying to sell to? And female singers in Cardi B's genre have long been radio pop divas and maybe expected to be sanitized enough for teenage girls to listen to, without their parents fussing?

But maybe that wasn't a true thing, either. I'm certainly no expert on the genre, but I'd bet that WAP is not really as groundbreaking as all that.

Either way though, I think it's really the protest by those who don't like something like this, that makes it truly famous, proving that saying, "No press is bad press."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology