Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 03:55 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times

Advertisements

So WHY are you here? What do you WANT?

Sooner or later people will stop needlessly arguing/replying with someone who has an answer (or at least a negating reply) for everything.

I second the notion that you are dealing with depression, but only you (and a professional) can determine if that's true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 04:04 PM

84 posts, read 54,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This.

GO to the Tower of London. GO to Westminster Abbey. GO to the moors, the ruined castles and abbeys of GB, the seaside towns, etc. GO to Paris. GO to Versailles. GO to the Louvre. GET ON the subways there, or the double decker red buses in London, and EXPERIENCE these things first hand. Walk through St. James' park on a sunny day. Grab a blanket and a bottle of wine and lay in the dappled sunlight in the park. FEEL the grass, TASTE the wine, SMELL the roses, LOOK at the plants, LISTEN to the people softly laughing or birds singing in the trees.

DO these things. Don't look at these places online. No wonder you sound depressed. Talk about one dimensional living.
You do make it sound interesting on some level!

The thing is — I’m 36 with 365 days a year to occupy. Perhaps decades to go. The occasional trip to far away places I really have to interest in learning more about is perhaps a once every 3 or 4 month thing realistically. Living life on the internet has adapted me to having things NOW...to being interested in or arguing about something for nearly every second I’m online. The idea of just going slow and winding down to the point of laying on the grass in some far away place sounds almost crazy to me.

Old 05-05-2021, 04:06 PM

720 posts, read 428,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleasedontreuse View Post
I’m 36.

Luck made it where I never had to work a job.

Never had anything approaching a real friend. Never really communicated with family other than two girlfriends I had for 3-4 years each.

I did attempt working a job for about 9 months once...because I felt like a career was something you’re supposed to do to make parents proud...and wanted to meet girls.

I stopped making an effort in school and doing homework around 10th grade.

Since about the age of 13 I have probably averaged 9-10 hours per day living online just reading, arguing and learning about random stuff that interested me.

It feels like I’ve spent more time online than anyone in history.

And now I’m at the point where I feel there is nothing left to learn about or think about.

On one hand I feel that I can follow my Christian religion and have everything have meaning.

On the other hand eternity is long a time and if I don’t follow my religion I feel that anything done in this life is essentially irrelevant.

We will all be forgotten. Some of us may invent great things or have great ideas that live on...but none of that is who we are as people.

For example, do any of us really know Aristotle the person?

Will anyone in a million years know him? Know any of us? Does it even matter if we are known if we aren’t here?

I feel compelled to further embrace Jesus.
Today I tried skating for the second time. I was with a friend - I know how difficult skating is and I was scared that I'd fall down, but she held me and somehow i managed to roll like 10 centimeters without her help. The rush!

I know all the theory about balance and how you have to position your body.
I've read it countless times online, I've applied it countless times with a bike, standing on one foot at Tae Kwon Do.

Thing is, it's different every single time.

You learn again, cause it's the first time you're doing what you are doing now. There's always something new to learn - sometimes about yourself too.
Except for theory there is also practice. That's also something you learn.

As far as Aristotle and the reason to exist goes. What do you mean if we 'really' know him?
He was a human being. We don't really know him, but in a way we really know that regardless of his genius, he ate and pooped like every one of us. Well maybe not exactly like us :P

I don't think you HAVE to leave something memorable behind - I think you just enjoy life as best as you can.

Old 05-05-2021, 04:17 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
You do make it sound interesting on some level!

The thing is — I’m 36 with 365 days a year to occupy. Perhaps decades to go. The occasional trip to far away places I really have to interest in learning more about is perhaps a once every 3 or 4 month thing realistically. Living life on the internet has adapted me to having things NOW...to being interested in or arguing about something for nearly every second I’m online. The idea of just going slow and winding down to the point of laying on the grass in some far away place sounds almost crazy to me.
So do it. Trust me, it's not crazy. What's crazy is your internet addiction.

I know I could "tour" the Tower of London online, but I'd much rather walk through it, stand in the spot where Anne Boleyn lost her head or where she stepped out of the boat and into prison, and I'd rather stand right where they found the bones of Thomas More under the chapel floor. In fact I've already done all that and plan to do it again as soon as quarantines are lifted in Europe.

Old 05-05-2021, 04:27 PM

884 posts, read 357,042 times
You say that you feel there is nothing left to learn. What about things to experience?

It is one thing to read about a mountain. It is another to climb it in real life.

That may give you purpose and something to strive for.

Old 05-05-2021, 05:26 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Ya lost me. Keep doing you.

Ditto.

Old 05-05-2021, 07:05 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
Luck made it where I never had to work a job.
How do you support yourself? Where does your money come from? Have you never had the satisfaction of earning something through your own labor?

Quote:
Never had anything approaching a real friend. Never really communicated with family other than two girlfriends I had for 3-4 years each.
How did you find these girls? How did you sustain a relationship with each of them for 3-4 years?

Quote:
I did attempt working a job for about 9 months once...because I felt like a career was something you’re supposed to do to make parents proud...and wanted to meet girls.
Mastering a career can be the source of intense satisfaction. Not to mention, it'll give you something to do all day.

Quote:
On one hand I feel that I can follow my Christian religion and have everything have meaning.

I feel compelled to further embrace Jesus.
As a fellow Christian, I would highly encourage this. Have you ever read through the entire Bible? You should. Yes, all of it, including the "This guy begat that guy" chapters -- which, let's face it, aren't exactly page turners. But God says that ALL (emphasis mine) of Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, etc. If you want to truly know Jesus, that is the place to start.

Quote:
GO to the Tower of London. GO to Westminster Abbey. GO to the moors, the ruined castles and abbeys of GB, the seaside towns, etc. GO to Paris. GO to Versailles. GO to the Louvre. GET ON the subways there, or the double decker red buses in London, and EXPERIENCE these things first hand. Walk through St. James' park on a sunny day. Grab a blanket and a bottle of wine and lay in the dappled sunlight in the park. FEEL the grass, TASTE the wine, SMELL the roses, LOOK at the plants, LISTEN to the people softly laughing or birds singing in the trees.

DO these things. Don't look at these places online. No wonder you sound depressed. Talk about one dimensional living.
This, this, a thousand times THIS!!

OP, have you ever been to Notre Dame cathedral in Paris? I don't mean seen pictures of it; I mean been inside it; gazed upon its stained glass windows; heard its thunderous pipe organ. I have. I was there just shy of 40 years ago. At the time, I was an agnostic. But as I soaked in the sublime magnificence, I found myself thinking that maybe God might be real after all, because how could mere men build something so indescribably awe-inspiring without being guided and inspired by a Higher Power? This kind of transcendent experience is not something you're going to find online.

Quote:
arguing about something for nearly every second I’m online.
Check out the Politics and Other Controversies forum on this very website!

Old 05-05-2021, 07:06 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:
This.

I meant to rep you for this post, Kathryn, but I accidently clicked on one of your other ones. But hey, that one was good too!

Old 05-05-2021, 07:37 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
Travel.

Old 05-05-2021, 08:18 PM

335 posts, read 227,571 times
OP seems like your experiencing depression, pretty bad too.
See a doctor first

Travel but not tourist stuff like Paris. London, Spain. Las Vegas etc. You may not connect with anyone you are comfortable with. Maybe a travel group but those probably wont be what you need either.
I would look into international travel with big expat populations. A lot of loners and introverts in these communities, maybe more like minded.
Better opportunities to meet women too.

You got bucks. Lack of money is one of the big problems others have. You can use your money to help people, kids, the communities. Self satisfaction and appreciation will increase your interests and confidence levels.

And faith is very important. Never loose it.

Get your vaccines if you have not yet and start planning and researching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology