Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 09:30 PM

237 posts, read 124,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I think some of us had no idea what you were talking about until you posted this. I didn't know you had started another post and that this one was a continuation of it. I was trying to figure it out through all these posts so it might have been a good idea to state this at the beginning to give us some context.

Thanks. That's a very fair criticism, and I accept it completely. I definitely should have included that at the beginning of the post, as CD is very large, and there are many who may not have come across my previous thread. Good observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I am an atheist and don't care about this pastor nor live in his state.

But guys tend to be visual and women tend to be emotional.

So for a happy marriage women should try to stay in shape and look attractive and men should give the love and emotional support women need. I see a lot of couples doing the opposite. Often leads to divorces.

Really a no brainer.

General tendencies, perhaps, yes, but there are always exceptions.

I pointed out in this thread and the last that I place a high value on attractiveness also. My husband and I both try to look good for each other.

I also have Asperger Syndrome (clinically diagnosed) so I'm hyper-logical and tend to lack cognitive empathy, a key emotional facet most women (and even many neurotypical men) tend to have. I like constructive criticism, as shown in my above reply to a person who had some good criticism for something I missed. If someone has a great point, I don't take it emotionally and like the logical correction. But if someone is going through something emotionally I can't relate to, I can't emotionally put myself in their shoes. I can have affective empathy and have sympathy and compassion if the situation calls for it, but I cannot put myself in their perspective emotionally. I can't read minds or mentalize other people's states like women and even many neurotypical males can. So I'm emotionally quite crippled, especially for a woman.

Good link on differences in AS on the cognitive vs affective empathy scale: https://www.researchgate.net/publica...erger_Syndrome

Old 05-11-2021, 05:07 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,469,884 times
Love you wedding photo and the cake was a work of art! Do you guys play basketball?

Old 05-11-2021, 05:42 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,965,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khendra View Post
Thanks. That's a very fair criticism, and I accept it completely. I definitely should have included that at the beginning of the post, as CD is very large, and there are many who may not have come across my previous thread. Good observation.
Thank you for accepting the post in the manner it was given. I'm not a regular on the Psychology forum but sometimes an interesting post will show up in "New Posts" and it opens up a thread to me that I wasn't aware of, just like in this case.

I like what you said about both you and your husband caring about looking good for each other. You both look very well suited to each other and the photo you posted is lovely. Wishing you many happy years together. Hope the cake was delicious

Old 05-11-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Love you wedding photo and the cake was a work of art! Do you guys play basketball?

Thanks! Husband isn't into traditional team sports, but does like martial arts and working out in general. I played basketball for a number of years, both in rec leagues as a young girl, and then pickup ball at the Y. Nowadays, I just do treadmill and weightlifting at the health club he's a member of. It doesn't have a basketball gym, so no basketball for me the last few years. We take whatever physical fitness we can get these days, now that I'm in my upper thirties and he's in his mid forties.

Old 05-12-2021, 09:56 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,557,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khendra View Post
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-look-n1259998

I live in MO. I'm in conservative culture. My husband isn't conservative, but the churches I've been to often are.

I'm aware of things like this. That's why I have threads dealing with sexuality, men, women, and the different views people have.

You have to understand, when in this kind of cultural context, how challenging it is to be a visual woman. Pastors think this is only a male thing. And males have authority. So if men are shallow, it doesn't matter, because they have the authority.

What do we do when women are also visual? In this kind of culture, they deny we exist. It's only a male thing.

In another kind of culture, women get assailed for being shallow. We're told we're not special or unique for having physical or visual sexual attraction.

And yet these men in authority teach that women cannot possibly be this way.

When you live in Missouri, and you're in this kind of culture -- this is what we get inundated with.

Do you understand now?
Just when I think we are really living in a new century, and that it's 2021, I see something like this. If I were in a church service and the pastor starting talking like this, I would stand up, say something out loud to him about his misplaced values and misogyny and LOUDLY walk out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology