Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 09:45 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,135,556 times

Advertisements

All my life I have been told I am too sensitive, too deep, and need to just let stuff go. Research is finding that it isn’t a behavioral choice or a conditioned pattern…it truly is different brain physiology. So all you HSP people, you come by it honestly. Our brains really are wired differently. Did you suspect this or let other people convince you that it’s something you could easily control and change?

https://www.news.ucsb.edu/2021/02026...ive-brain-rest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2021, 10:43 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
My thought on that is that we often aren't able to change how we feel about things. Although over time it isn't impossible. With education and willingness to grow sometimes we are able to think about situations differently than we used to and thinking differently can cause a change in feeling response.

For instance - you used to see poor people wasting money and you had a feeling of disgust. Then you studied the cultural habits of poor in a society and you learned the underlying reasons they sometimes make poor choices with money. You began to understand and reinterpret what you had viewed as wasteful stupidity. I've heard of people making those kinds of educational transformations.

Other times we feel unable to alter the feeling responses we have but we are still capable of changing the way we react to and act upon the feeling.

I used to wonder what came first in making change - the way we think or the way we feel. Now I think it can be either depending on the circumstances.

Modern psychiatric medicine can lend a huge hand in the transformative experience. I'd like to view the article as an explanation for the gift of deep emotional experience. It can be both a gift and a curse. It must be managed wisely. They are our poets, artists, musicians, caregivers, healers of the world. Self care is vital.

People who have it need to take responsibility that they don't use the explanation as an excuse for distressing or controlling others with their responses to their emotions. You know. "I can't help it. It's neurological."

Anyway. That's my take.

Old 05-08-2021, 10:44 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
HSP is a biological "condition."

Read Elaine Aron.

Old 05-08-2021, 11:00 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post

Read Elaine Aron.

I believe it. Sound, sight, touch, ‘feelings’ - those all can afflict a HSP with sometimes unendurable pain.

Forget about using Chinese water torture, I will cop to Jimmy Hoffa’s whereabouts if forced to wear nail polish longer than a few hours.

Old 05-08-2021, 11:18 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,135,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
I believe it. Sound, sight, touch, ‘feelings’ - those all can afflict a HSP with sometimes unendurable pain.

Forget about using Chinese water torture, I will cop to Jimmy Hoffa’s whereabouts if forced to wear nail polish longer than a few hours.
The nail polish is a new one for me! Never heard of that. I would rather go to the dentist than a nail salon, with those smells, but can put polish on my toe nails and not feel it. Wool on the other hand is an issue within a minute. As I kid I would dread Halloween because of those scratchy acetate glittery costumes in a box. I was so thankful when my mom would sew a costume by hand because those fabrics were the, worst! And then, showing my age, I never wore a girdle, but a control top panty with garters. Sitting on garters was hell on earth.

Old 05-08-2021, 11:27 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
The nail polish is a new one for me! Never heard of that. I would rather go to the dentist than a nail salon, with those smells, but can put polish on my toe nails and not feel it. Wool on the other hand is an issue within a minute. As I kid I would dread Halloween because of those scratchy acetate glittery costumes in a box. I was so thankful when my mom would sew a costume by hand because those fabrics were the, worst! And then, showing my age, I never wore a girdle, but a control top panty with garters. Sitting on garters was hell on earth.
It is a sensation of suffocation, one of my nails not being able to breathe. If left on long enough, it becomes a throbbing pain. As mentioned, worse than the Chinese water torture.

Unfortunately, there are lots of others, spanning all the mentioned senses.

Old 05-08-2021, 12:08 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
I’ve been accused of being over sensitive but it was almost always by those who are under sensitive. I wonder sometimes why under sensitivity is never mentioned as a condition. The last time someone accused me of being over sensitive I stared him down till he backed off. The word is sensitive, not over sensitive.

I read a book once years ago, The Mood Cure, and the author said that if you’re in pain a lot, whether that pain is physical or emotional, the supplement called DL-phenylalanine will help with that. I did use it and the arthritis in my fingers went away forever. I’m been in some emotional pain lately so I just went and dug it out when I read this thread. I’ll let you all know how it works if you’re interested.

Old 05-08-2021, 02:59 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post

Read Elaine Aron.
So this condition is physical, not emotional sensitivity? Sounds like fibromyalgia or similar.

Old 05-08-2021, 03:19 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
So this condition is physical, not emotional sensitivity? Sounds like fibromyalgia or similar.
Or could it be neurons not hitting their target?

Old 05-08-2021, 04:03 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,026,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post

I totally get this--feels like my fingertips are suffocating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology