Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2021, 07:16 PM

720 posts, read 428,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
This is a very ambiguous thread. What kind of "love" does it refer to? The Greek language, both ancient and modern, has 6 words for love.

Eros - same as what we know today as "lust"
Philia - loyal friendship, usually between friends of the same sex
Ludus - same as what we know today as "puppy love"
Storge - protective "one-way" love, like in a parent toward a child or a human toward a pet
Pragma - comfortable and committed, but "boring" love, like in a married couple
Agape - devotional love, like in a person toward a God of Their Understanding
Hmmmm... Some of these are either false or at least don't exist as modern greek words.

Eros is the same as "falling in love or being in love" in english.

Filia is friendship.

Ludus I search online and it said that it means in greek erototropia (eros+tropos (=way)), which is used rarely in modern greek and means "playfully flirting".

Storgi - exactly what you wrote: protective love and affection.

Pragma - sorry I had to laugh. Pragma means Thing. In ancient Greek it means something that has been created, produced, made.(so pretty much a "thing")

And lastly Agape. This is the greek word for love. Without explanations. When you think of love without doubt that is Agape(Αγάπη).

I think the thread is referring to the last definition, Agape, which is pretty much all encompassing.

I don't agree that the main cause of most people's problems is a lack of love though.
Stress, random events, difficulty in expression and in managing our feelings all seem more appropriate culprits to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2021, 04:26 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I would say that lack of money is a bigger problem...
Not a popular sentiment and I give you credit for saying it.

Money makes everything better. It cushions people from life's vicissitudes, loss, and more. It gives people added mobility to move, if they are unhappy where they live. Perhaps love can be found in another state, city or country.

Not having money limits options. It also limits thinking. Poor people obsess over love, in my observation, far more than those who are upper middle class. I have many friends who are happily single, also. They are financially comfortable.

I think there is a connection.

Smart people do not look for happiness in another person. Just watch your favorite - or least favorite - talk show. Serial monogamists, multiple marriages, and all that goes with that, chaotic lives, child abuse by step parents all seem to come from the false notion that happiness can be found in the arms of another. It can not.

One needs to be happy first - or you will attract someone just as needy and miserable as you are.

Old 09-15-2021, 04:02 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
Yup.

Old 09-15-2021, 04:07 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
It may not be the lack of love but how one wants to be loved might be the problem. And that problem is within and needs to be resolved before loving or being loved can happen.

Old 09-20-2021, 01:03 PM

290 posts, read 164,702 times
Quote:
Biggest problem is lack of money. Love is mostly fake anyway. Animals are more loyal than people except when you dont feed them

Old 09-22-2021, 04:26 PM

1,483 posts, read 684,470 times
Lack of money? More like 'living beyond your means'.

Not wise to have champagne tastes on a beer budget, IMO.

Old 09-24-2021, 05:50 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Where are all you posters who have troubles with money to back me up when people here keep yapping about working easy jobs that pay well over six figures or worried about their 2 million dollar retirement funds not being enough? Or yapping about how to manage their husband's 300K salary.

Although I work enough to keep myself relatively problem free when it comes to finances, all I do is work and force myself to work, and deal with the stresses of work, so that is my biggest problem.

So sufficient to say, if I could change that, I would take on more risk when it comes to finances.

If you have a difficult, stressful job AND you have financial problems, that is a difficult spot.

I've had problems with love in the past and currently, but relationships in general for me have been 'generally good, could be better' while work is ... 'bad, could be a lot better'.

Old 09-24-2021, 06:12 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euskalherria View Post
Lack of money? More like 'living beyond your means'.

Not wise to have champagne tastes on a beer budget, IMO.
You speak as if you know the circumstances f all of us wo said lack of money, not lack f love.

Old 09-24-2021, 06:34 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
You speak as if you know the circumstances f all of us wo said lack of money, not lack f love.

What's situation behind not being able to have a car?

Maybe people here can help.

Granted, I'm carless right now too, lol.

Old 09-24-2021, 06:52 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
What's situation behind not being able to have a car?

Maybe people here can help.

Granted, I'm carless right now too, lol.
Maybe things are different now. But 20 years ago, a man without a car was the same as a modern-day incel---he couldn't get a date if his life depended on it. Women demanded a man to have a car---with a possible exception of Lower Manhattan---no ifs, ands, or buts. In fact, the only reason I bought a car during the summer before college was to be able to date in college. Which came true: I did find a girlfriend---although she was unattractive, boring to be around, bossy, and snooty. Despite all that, I was very grateful to have a girlfriend, even one like her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology