Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-17-2024, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
20,489 posts, read 14,848,232 times
Reputation: 39772

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Agreed 100%.

I'll add that the Covid lockdowns added to this isolation and made overall mental health worse. Some call it an unintended consequence. I'd call it deliberate.

I've also read through this thread and nobody has mentioned the role of psychiatric drugs may play in mass shootings. The media, which gets 30% of its revenue from Big Pharma, certainly never talks about it.

The other thing that gets dismissed as a crazy conspiracy theory is that some mass shootings are actually deliberate acts of terror performed by people in our government against its citizens, using assassins under mind control. They've known since at least the early 1950s how to create mind controlled assassins with multiple personalities. Just look up the CIA's MK Ultra mind control projects.
I do not at all believe that Covid lockdowns were a means of attempted government manipulation. The ranchers of the human herd are not out to just...boss us around just because. You don't keep a herd of cattle because you like feeling as though you are a Cow God. You do it for the meat, milk, hides.

The meat and milk and hides of humanity is our "productivity." Our labor. The ranchers of the people want nothing more than maximum productivity, maximum labor output, maximum spending, maximum trade. Because dollars are power coupons and every dollar exchanged by the livestock gets a bit shaved off and tossed up the chain. They traffic in our lives, but need us to believe we are free range.

I knew that Covid was serious crap when I heard that China was stopping trade in a big way because of it, and making workers stay at home. You don't do that just to see if you can make people stop working. You do it because you really worry about too much of your herd dying off.

And whatever you might believe about how serious the virus is or isn't, the fact is that in the early days no one knew for certain exactly how deadly it truly was. There is no need to act like the ranchers are omnipotent players of 4-D chess all running a genius conspiracy plot. They don't know everything any more than anyone does. They were casting around looking for ways to make the death toll less because dead people do not contribute to the GDP, the tax base, the labor market, dead people don't obey, dead people don't consume, and dead people don't breed more labor units. Without total certainty about what path would minimize the death toll, they made their best guesses at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-18-2024, 06:09 AM
 
Location: So Ca
26,914 posts, read 27,121,348 times
Reputation: 25065
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I've also read through this thread and nobody has mentioned the role of psychiatric drugs may play in mass shootings. The media, which gets 30% of its revenue from Big Pharma, certainly never talks about it.
Probably because it was analyzed in depth with Columbine shooter Eric Harris's use of anti depressants (Luvox, an SSRI). The media has definitely covered this, repeatedly, during the past 25 years. There is no scientific evidence that use of anti depressants and school shootings are linked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2024, 10:03 AM
 
4,085 posts, read 3,371,529 times
Reputation: 6563
Most of the crime that occurs is done by males under 25. Let's talk about why. First women have two copies of the X chromosome and guys have an X and a Y. If there is a coding error on one copy of the X chromosome, women can use the other X chromosome for error correction. Men don't have this same ability. This is why there seems to be a much wider spread of outcomes in men vs women. Height varies in both men and women but it varies a lot more in men than women. For most traits their is a much greater variance in men than women. Males are both much more likely to win a Noble Prize and to be on death row than women.

There is a whole host of antisocial traits that are much more likely to show up in males than females. But this same higher variance may also explain why most successful self made individuals also much more likely to be male.

The people who are a resorting to crime and violence aren't really succeeding in life and they are male and that might make it seem when I am discussing this situation that I am here bashing on men. But that not really my intent here.

The other thing I think about is the role of impulse control. Most crime is done by males under 25 and I think the issue is poor impulse control, much more so than mental illness.

First male brains don't finish growing until 25, three years after women and the last part of brain to develop controls executive function. On of the roles of executive function is impulse control. So this is part of the story.

Second testosterone peaks around 18 or 19 in men and testosterone is involved in risk taking which again impacts impulse control.

Lastly, more than half of all people arrested have detectable levels of various intoxicants at the time they are arrested.

So you have this situation where you have underdeveloped brains and high levels of testosterone which increases risk which increases the likelihood of using drugs or alcohol which further leads to increased risk taking and that might be occuring in guys with some anti social traits.

Lastly there's the role of family background.

If you compare women brought up in broken homes, that makes these girls more likely to have an earlier sexual debut and more life time number of sexual partners. These girls who make their sexual debut at an earlier age also tend to be dating guys with a larger age disparity which leads to power imbalances and often more intimate partner violence, so it's not without consequence, but women brought up in broken homes don't seem to be harmed in terms of academic or career performance nor does it make them more likely to go to jail.

But boys seem to be much more reliant on stable home life to help themselves regulate both their emotions and impulses. As more children are brought up in single family homes boys have much worse life outcomes than girls do.

Lastly America has more guns than people. When you think about the sure number of guns out there I think that there's surprisingly little violence. I also think that there are some path dependence issues where when you have as many guns as you have in America you probably can't make them go away. I think that is also the problem with drugs and alcohol. There is so much out there already I don't see it going away.

In an ideal world would it be better if the nuclear family was strengthened probably. I think at an individual level that might work but I also think divorce also happens for good reasons and I have my doubts that marriage rates will change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2024, 01:54 PM
Status: "Goodbye horses.." (set 12 days ago)
 
3,802 posts, read 2,626,882 times
Reputation: 6915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euskalherria View Post
I do not understand the concept of 'America'. I mean, really, it broadcasts to the world that it is a 'shining city on a hill' and stuff.

Yet, its citizens are hell-bent on slaughtering each other... hmmm...

To use an American expression, that doesn't jive.
Respectfully.. was the last time you visited America, 1975?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2024, 07:11 PM
 
Location: a little corner of a very big universe
869 posts, read 736,979 times
Reputation: 2647
I think they meant "jibe," not "jive."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2024, 07:12 PM
 
1,114 posts, read 658,726 times
Reputation: 3073
Not many people want to own up on this, but these "senseless" attacks are a direct result of A - parents who are parents in name only, B - the media, and most of all the horrifically violent video games. A is the main reason though.

If you are absent as a parent, either physically, psychologically or both, then it's your fault. Period. We live in a society that beats us to death w/ violent images and acts, but good parents can build a loving and kind barrier around their children. Or else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2024, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
20,489 posts, read 14,848,232 times
Reputation: 39772
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
Not many people want to own up on this, but these "senseless" attacks are a direct result of A - parents who are parents in name only, B - the media, and most of all the horrifically violent video games. A is the main reason though.

If you are absent as a parent, either physically, psychologically or both, then it's your fault. Period. We live in a society that beats us to death w/ violent images and acts, but good parents can build a loving and kind barrier around their children. Or else.
The problem is where the intensely capitalist nature of our nation comes into play. Money is required to stay alive. If you are trying to raise kids these days, piles and piles of it. At least a very significant portion of our voters and our government does not want to provide any kind of support structure to help mitigate the possible financial distress of parents with children, falling back on the "if you are poor, it is your own fault" much in the way that you say, "if you are not fully present for your kids, it is your fault." But it is a LOT to try to do both. It's at least two full time jobs, and even more if you are trying to maintain a marriage, and/or trying to work on your education so that you can earn more for the time you can allocate to work.

Now you could say that maybe women should never open their legs to any man unless he is a prime father candidate, not only willing to commit but able and willing to provide. But men don't much like this either because most men are not rich. So if women wait for the dedicated and capable providers, we are considered to be greedy and gold diggers. Every man wants to pass on his genes, but far from all of them want to do whatever it takes to see the job through, of raising decent members of society. And many women now are realizing that we do not want to live a life of hell just because some guy has a natural urge to breed and finds us attractive.

And that is before even asking the question of basic fitness of the mother and father, whether they are in perfect physical and mental health, struggle with any addictions or other issues.

And THEN...out of those candidates who are well positioned to be excellent parents...how many already have parents, siblings, or others who depend on them for some kind of care, who take some cut of their resources?

The fact is, if only people who are ready, willing and able to be excellent parents, were giving birth to children, the species would die out. What we get in quantity, we sacrifice in quality. To the extent that I was watching a lecture given by an interesting college professor the other day and he charted out the decrease in violent crime in the United States from the 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s...and he then stated that the cause of this is the advent of birth control and Roe v. Wade (the lecture was from before Dobbs.) The drop off in crime is in direct correlation to the drop in unwanted pregnancies, if you account for the lag of those nonexistent children growing to their late teens and early 20s.

Fact is, expecting every person to happily breed AND to be able to be a good parent, is asking more than you will ever get out of society. And the more we force people to just crank out babies whether they like it or not, the more we're going to have to deal with the FACT that a significant portion of them will be raised in troubled home situations and will become criminal adults. Though from the perspective of the most elite of "ranchers to the human herd"...that doesn't matter, because they can be put into prisons and made into slave labor. They don't much care about conditions on the ground, they can hire more security and then point to crime as a problem they can save you from, so you'll happily put your resources into supporting and promoting their power. It's a pretty neat little system they've got goin' on there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2024, 09:41 AM
 
Location: 'greater' Buffalo, NY
5,706 posts, read 4,028,273 times
Reputation: 7625
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I definitely think this is a factor. Not the only one, for sure, but one that used to get more attention than it does now.

These days, it's all "guns, guns, guns". I think that's the easy "go to" answer these days. I'm not a gun owner, but I definitely think there's an ulterior motive for pushing the "get rid of guns" narrative.
There's no ulterior motive--are you implying something conspiratorial, like a would-be totalitarian government who'd prefer no possibility of resistance from an unarmed populace? Plenty of delusional militia/prepper types (as well as many 'regular citizens') believe things along these lines. The desire to lessen if not eliminate gun availability stems from a genuine aversion to the high rates of gun violence we have in this country (though we at least may take solace in the fact that gun violence is down from the first couple years of the pandemic, which were alarmingly violent). People who point out the weak correlation between gun availability and gun violence rates among US states do have a point, though comparing states may be less instructive than comparing countries, as the US has the highest gun ownership rate in the world and is also considerably more violent than any other 'wealthy' nation. So I consider gun availability a relevant factor but not the only one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2024, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Southern MN
12,190 posts, read 8,580,082 times
Reputation: 45326
Think carefully about blaming parents. They face obstacles today that yesterday's parents didn't. Count all the hours the child spends in school under the care of the government compared to the mostly sleeping and eating hours at home. And this is a government which no longer demands respect of country and elders.

Consider the number of social factors which have altered the traditional ways of raising well-behaved children. We have generations ranting about how unhappy they were being forced to behave and many supporting their complaints.

Some parents have become afraid to discipline their children because of misunderstandings, accidents and public outcry. And, yes, there are outright cases of abuse, also, but more than a few have been exaggerated. It's very public how you raise your child today and there are always people trying to spot abuse because of their own mistreatment.

Even more significant consider the number of parents who have one wayward child and another which functions just fine.

Many, many factors outside of the home influence a child past those formative years. It's a piece but only one of many that makes a disturbed child. Sometimes they are born that way.

It's so easy to blame people who have put their heart, life and hopes into raising a child only to have the child resist all attempts to show him the way and then be blamed for what he does. I sometimes suspect there are many mothers of perpetrators who are in the most pain of all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2024, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Back in the gym...Yo Adrian!
10,185 posts, read 20,851,722 times
Reputation: 19914
I grew up in the heart of NYC during the 70s, 80s, 90s when it was at it's most dangerous. I knew people of all races who either succumbed to the violence and chose that life for themselves and I knew people of all races who rose above it all. The biggest difference was parenting.

The urban violence I see today is a formula of bad parenting, soft on crime lawmakers; judges, prosecutors, mayors, etc., who refuse to enforce crimes. When an individual knows there will be little to no consequences for their behavior, what's stopping them from robbing, assaulting, and killing innocent people? If their parents raise them without consequences, without a conscience, without compassion for others, it creates a generation of sociopaths that can't be fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top