Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 11:06 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
No we have both. Only narco/gang states like Colombia, Brazil, El Salvador etc. rank up with the US in gun deaths per capita.
But half of all of the United States gun deaths are self-inflicted - suicides. Look it up with the Department of Health. A lot of people don't know this. This just screams we need better mental health and end-of life policies.

And most of the other gun violence IS gang related. Yes, "narco gangs." The isolated cases of mentally ill mass shooters is in the low percentage.

Using a gun, a knife, a machete, a flame-thrower, a rock, your fist to harm another person is a mental health and a criminal issue.

Sometimes it's tied to cultural norms. An eye for an eye. So it's a very old and very persistent problem and not a problem of the US only.

I would suggest that indiscriminate immigration policies without sufficient time to assimilate aggravates a great deal of it here.

Last edited by Lodestar; 10-08-2021 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2021, 11:27 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,139,669 times
Well, the world is crazy, as it's always been. But....

Currently we have lots of fuel "thrown on the fire" daily, all around us, to fuss, whine, gripe, complain, bytche, and point fingers at everyone but ourselves. Media sources thrive and feed off that, selling that garbage, and people are buying those tainted goods. Those at the source don't give a damn about the bullets they load in those symbolic "guns" and place on the table, which their followers eagerly pick up. And the anger and stupidity comes in many forms. Racism is elevated and back with a vengeance too, which plays a role.

Personal accountability and responsibility are at all-time time low. We ignore what made us strong, and seek out and support what works against us. These are all typical signs that societies and nations show when they're on the way down and on their way out. It's an unchecked national madness that feeds on itself in a cannibalistic way. Nothing new going on here. Some see it, but most are clueless and blind.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 10-08-2021 at 11:42 AM..

Old 10-08-2021, 12:01 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
I'd like to add an opinion that because we are one of the most developed societies in the world we have access to many of the "gifts" of science and many of them are proving to be harmful to the human body and psyche.

I often wonder how much pollution in the air, prescription drugs in our water supply and various contaminations of our soil and food play a part in triggering violence in some susceptible individuals.

Also I don't think an environment of cement, glass and bricks and multitudes of people crowded together in one spot is conducive to a serene, relaxed attitude in people or animals.

Old 10-08-2021, 02:30 PM

1,701 posts, read 781,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We have a gun problem.
We'd have a BIGGER gun problem, if anybody ever tried to take them away or strictly federally regulate them. It would be a similar reaction like if this SCOTUS ever struck down Roe v. Wade and even made it illegal in individual states, only *much* worse because those people have weapons. The US would become more like Syria

Old 10-08-2021, 03:15 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
But half of all of the United States gun deaths are self-inflicted - suicides. Look it up with the Department of Health. A lot of people don't know this. This just screams we need better mental health and end-of life policies.

And most of the other gun violence IS gang related. Yes, "narco gangs." The isolated cases of mentally ill mass shooters is in the low percentage.

Using a gun, a knife, a machete, a flame-thrower, a rock, your fist to harm another person is a mental health and a criminal issue.

Sometimes it's tied to cultural norms. An eye for an eye. So it's a very old and very persistent problem and not a problem of the US only.

I would suggest that indiscriminate immigration policies without sufficient time to assimilate aggravates a great deal of it here.
It should have been much easier to control guns after Columbine, after Sandy Hook, after MSDouglas. It is much, much harder to tackle mental health care effectively. I realize that the right to bear arms is in our Constitution. But the governments in the states, and the Feds do have the right to regulate guns. For years, we banned outright assault weapons.

We’ll never “solve” mental health problems. We could have better methods of treating people in the midst of a mental health crisis, however. I think you could make an argument that we would never be able to prevent all gun crimes, either. But we could surely prevent many.

There are simply too many guns floating around. And, as is happening where I live, people feel threatened every day by others who carry, and so they carry too.

It is a vicious cycle.

Old 10-08-2021, 06:24 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
We have a gun problem. How do I know this? Unaccounted for military guns gone missing in the thousands. Guns in the hands of unhappy, vengeful teens, even when owners know their guns should be locked away. The ability for mentally unstable or criminal people to buy guns without any checks or regulations. The ability of gun owners to own as many guns as they want. The opportunity for almost anyone to own assault weapons, which exist solely to kill people. People kill masses of people continually, gunning them down in schools, shopping malls, supermarkets, newspaper offices.

We have a gun problem.
And there is part of the problem where our information is made up to fit agendas without being accurate. What people are calling assault weapons don't exist, one would be seriously hurting to go out on the battlefield with the civilian AR-15. This point is illuminated time and time again and still people insist otherwise.

So essentially, people are believing what they want to believe, regardless of what the facts are.

Old 10-08-2021, 09:50 PM

4,199 posts, read 4,450,813 times
It's not a "gun" issue it is a USER ERROR issue in not using the tool properly. An old post which gets to IMO the most pressing issue. I'll summarize:

1) less and less natural affection toward offspring as parents treat children as 'equals' to be their 'friends', token /trophies, or a potential benefit. Couple this with loss of community and shared real face time socialization (in today's' rat race world most people pursue) and many of the border line and mental ill candidates shift to the shadows.

2) The drugs (prescription & otherwise). A heavily medicated mindset (and nation for that matter) which is bombarded via various media to sell people a magic 'pill' to fix what is often a result of poor living habits (cause its easier) and amplifying a mental illness with disproportionate deleterious side effects.

3) The saturation of violence across all media forms. Hollywood targets majority of movies to a 13-25 yo demographic, and the gaming entertainment industry make billions in games with violence and gore as 'entertainment'. This volume of conditioning desensitizes youth to fellow humans. And most often leads to less actual communication and more 'white noise' as substitute for actual relationships. In many ways it is sedation by emulation.

4) To the question as to why schools seem to be the preferred venue - whether adults or teens - it is likely because most unresolved conflicts the perpetrators have internalized, originated there, or they associate them as being caused from 'school' situations.

5) Also an issue is the problem in most school age bullying / violence is the administrative unilateral application of expulsion to both parties. If you're not going to remove obvious troublemakers / bullies who aren't there with a mindset to learn and not let someone defend themselves from physical harm by fighting back, you've already crippled those in the abusive situation and the educational environment.

As to the "Psychology of Urban violence", it is a culmination of multiple generations of absentee parenting. Check out the overall level of single parent household in urban areas where 'violence' is an accepted way of life, whereby children seek family in alternatives (gangs) or turf wars for illegal criminal behaviors (burglary / theft rings of juveniles). It can occasionally be isolation and feeling of helplessness. It is a one time power trip for notoriety for the media thrill seeker.

Old 10-08-2021, 11:32 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
And there is part of the problem where our information is made up to fit agendas without being accurate. What people are calling assault weapons don't exist, one would be seriously hurting to go out on the battlefield with the civilian AR-15. This point is illuminated time and time again and still people insist otherwise.

So essentially, people are believing what they want to believe, regardless of what the facts are.
OK, call them what they are. Efficient killing machines.

But you knew what I was talking about, right?

Old 10-09-2021, 03:57 AM

Quote:
OK, call them what they are. Efficient killing machines.

But you knew what I was talking about, right?
Well, I am not going to get too far into that because we are in psychology and not the political forum.

What I will say is that in the post I quoted, the writer identified a certain gun by a certain definition with a certain purpose.......which it isn't.

Old 10-09-2021, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
3) The saturation of violence across all media forms. Hollywood targets majority of movies to a 13-25 yo demographic, and the gaming entertainment industry make billions in games with violence and gore as 'entertainment'. This volume of conditioning desensitizes youth to fellow humans. And most often leads to less actual communication and more 'white noise' as substitute for actual relationships. In many ways it is sedation by emulation.
I find it so incredible, in a dismal sense, that a TV show that focuses on sexual violence is going into its 21st season or at least, so they say. Myself, I have never willingly watched it since I don't believe that sexual violence should a form of entertainment.

I just tossed a True Crime paperback into box for the 2nd hand bookseller, essentially unread, because for the way it was written, it did not serve my needs. There wasn't too much on the apprehension but a lot on the killer, why they were, and how they did what they did.

Okay, I know this is what sells soap, glorifying the pleasures of the flesh. We say we should not glorify the killer for this encourages copy cats but instead give them very little air time. That is perhaps a reasonable approach BUT then we have another argument, when it comes to crimes against women, where we are told not to say "women killed by men" but "men kill women" and hence, are putting the limelight back on the offender again.

Sigh, so many ways to see things and it is not a B&W picture. As such, perhaps we should realize that and not see the things in a vacuum but as the big picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology