Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 10:35 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,757,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Me either. I actually like to talk to people in check-out lines. I still remember a conversation I had with a guy who was holding a huge watermelon at a Food Lion - it was a riot.
I was recently in the checkout line talking with the guy ahead of me who had been looking for Heineken without success. I told him exactly where in the beer aisle to find it, and I held his place while he grabbed a 6. When he got back he thanked me and paid for my bottles of wine!

Being nice has its perks.

Old 12-13-2021, 10:47 AM

20,717 posts, read 4,472,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I was recently in the checkout line talking with the guy ahead of me who had been looking for Heineken without success. I told him exactly where in the beer aisle to find it, and I held his place while he grabbed a 6. When he got back he thanked me and paid for my bottles of wine!

A while back when I was shopping I came across an older couple in the aisle. They were looking at something like yogurt. I gave them a coupon for the product they were getting. Of course they thanked me. But later that day I won $20 on an instant scratch off.

It pays to be nice.

Old 12-13-2021, 11:11 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,569,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
"How's yer mom and 'em?" OMG, so true, laughing myself silly over that, it just hit home for me.
True in my small, rural hometown as well as here in the Pittsburgh metro. The funny thing is, even the staff at at the local hardware store ask after my mom--and she doesn't even live in the same state as I, lol.

A trip home usually involves at least two run-ins with people who I know. There's just no escaping it, so you kind of learn to build a little bit of a buffer into your outings or master the art of being friendly and polite while subtly conveying that you're in a hurry to get in and out of the store and on your way.

P.S.: the lady in the video might have had more luck had she being trying to swipe a credit or debit card rather than the AAA card that she was using

Old 12-13-2021, 11:20 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,569,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
I was in line at the self-checkout waiting to pay for a single carton of ice cream. The guy ahead of me saw my one item and suggested "You can pay for a single item at the Starbucks upfront."

I declined, partly because I don't know if anyone is even working at the coffee stand, and partly because I tend to bristle at the idea of being told what to do. The guy insisted: "No, really, I do it all the time with just one item...blah blah."

It was just one step away from turning into an ugly argument about who-knows-what's-best-for-who. Fortunately, the guy backed off and shut up.

It's no wonder there is so much violence in public on video today. Why do people do this kind of crap? Can't anyone mind their own G.D. business?
Why can't people stop being so thin-skinned and politely accept that sometimes people are just trying to be kind and helpful?

The man in question probably felt as though he was "holding up traffic" at the self-checkout and didn't want your ice cream to melt as you waited for him to finish scanning. Being a touch annoyed at his insistence is fine, but you are coming across as downright angry about what amounts to a very minor interaction with a stranger.

That you "bristle at the idea of being told what to do" and were willing to escalate this non-situation into an "ugly argument" when someone's trying to be helpful (even if a bit *too* insistent about it) tells me why there's so much violence in public on video today.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 12-13-2021 at 12:11 PM..

Old 12-13-2021, 11:26 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,722,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Just don't bother coming down south then. You ain't getting through Publix or Walmart without having a conversation with at least one stranger, not to mention the conversations with people you do know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH1Z4weWmPg
When in Rome...

I wouldn’t dream of rushing in a southern supermarket any more than I would risk saying even Hello to a stranger in a big northeastern city. The latter would consider me either someone trying to sell something, or a crazy person.

Old 12-13-2021, 12:47 PM

3,158 posts, read 2,738,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
Why can't people stop being so thin-skinned and politely accept that sometimes people are just trying to be kind and helpful?
I was not "thin skinned", I was irritated that some stranger was advising me to leave my place in line to go on a wild-goose-chase to a different pay procedure (that may not have even worked - if there was no cashier at Starbucks), then got pushy with insistence when I declined.

Can you imagine how stupid I would have been to leave my place in line, walk all the way up to Starbucks at the front of the store, find them closed/no cashier/whatever, then have to walk all the way back to my original line to appease some self-appointed do-gooder's bright idea about what would be best for me?

Even if SBUX was open I might have saved 20 seconds. Wow.

Stay in your lane!

Last edited by tommy64; 12-13-2021 at 12:59 PM..

Old 12-13-2021, 01:25 PM

3,381 posts, read 1,981,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post

Love this! Couldn't rep you again but the intent is there

Old 12-13-2021, 01:50 PM

30,478 posts, read 21,337,666 times
No wonder i never talk to anyone when i am out. Not sure what a lane has to do with anything jane.

Old 12-13-2021, 01:55 PM

1,250 posts, read 681,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
I was not "thin skinned", I was irritated that some stranger was advising me to leave my place in line to go on a wild-goose-chase to a different pay procedure (that may not have even worked - if there was no cashier at Starbucks), then got pushy with insistence when I declined.

Can you imagine how stupid I would have been to leave my place in line, walk all the way up to Starbucks at the front of the store, find them closed/no cashier/whatever, then have to walk all the way back to my original line to appease some self-appointed do-gooder's bright idea about what would be best for me?

Even if SBUX was open I might have saved 20 seconds. Wow.

Stay in your lane!
Your overreaction is what people are responding to.

You basically had a **** fit.

Old 12-13-2021, 02:37 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,398,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post

As for leaving the line to pay at the Starbucks....hah! By the time I got there two or three people would have managed to step up to the counter in front of me. At least one would not know what they wanted and take an excessive amount of time discussing their options.
So true! That is why I just stay in my lane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
How a person treats strangers who is doing no harm seems like it would be a good indicator of how good of a person they are.
I don't agree with that. Especially with the pandemic, everyone is on edge. Some people just fall off the edge, maybe their day has been too full. Maybe they are dealing with an ill child, maybe they are not well, maybe they just came from a funeral. So many things can be going on with that person.

I had an older customer last year who seemed to be a bit grouchy with me. I waited until she sat down, gave her a few minutes then went over to her and asked if there was anything i could help her with. She broke down and said she had just come from her last sister's funeral (last living relative). You don't know what is going on with someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology