Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 08:02 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,822,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
The gentleman who was in front of the OP had nothing to gain by making his suggestion. The information could have helped the OP check out faster, and most importantly, get to eat his ice cream sooner I like helpful people, especially when ice cream is involved.

It would never occur to me that the helpful gentleman was trying to tell me what to do or that there was some sort of battle going on beneath the helpful suggestion. I have a feeling the gentleman was bemused by the OP's reaction and relayed the story to his friends while shaking his head.
Makes me wonder if the OP is married and if so, what kind of treatment his wife receives when she shares her opinions or suggestions.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:10 AM

20,714 posts, read 16,479,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Makes me wonder if the OP is married and if so, what kind of treatment his wife receives when she shares her opinions or suggestions.
How someone treats the unasked-for opinion of a stranger is hardly a reliable indicator of how someone responds to a "friend" or "intimate" but feel free to smear away.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:22 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,046,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
How someone treats the unasked-for opinion of a stranger is hardly a reliable indicator of how someone responds to a "friend" or "intimate" but feel free to smear away.
How a person treats strangers who is doing no harm seems like it would be a good indicator of how good of a person they are.

Its like that saying on how if you want to know the true character of someone, dont look at how they treat their equals or superior, look at how they treat their subordinates.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:34 AM

12,818 posts, read 15,113,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
I was in line at the self-checkout waiting to pay for a single carton of ice cream. The guy ahead of me saw my one item and suggested "You can pay for a single item at the Starbucks upfront."

I declined, partly because I don't know if anyone is even working at the coffee stand, and partly because I tend to bristle at the idea of being told what to do. The guy insisted: "No, really, I do it all the time with just one item...blah blah."

It was just one step away from turning into an ugly argument about who-knows-what's-best-for-who. Fortunately, the guy backed off and shut up.

It's no wonder there is so much violence in public on video today. Why do people do this kind of crap? Can't anyone mind their own G.D. business?

And he was AHEAD of you in line, so it's not like he'd be done any quicker had you listened to him. If that had happened to me, I probably woiuld have said, "thanks, maybe next time." And if he kept insisting, I'd say, "I have my reasons for staying here." And hopefully he doesn't keep on after that.

I must personally have that look (& I don't mean some cranky-looking facial expression, but just my physical appearance overall) that people don't care to meddle or intervene w/ because no stranger has ever said things like that to me. I mean it could have happened once in my life, so I won't say it never has. Every once in a while, myself & a friendly stranger may say, HI or HELLO in passing somewhere, but that's about it.

Most adults don't like other adults telling them what to do...simple as that. I mean heck, many people sadly don't even have respect for authority figures anymore such as the police, etc., so they surely won't give a flying fig about other members of society who are on their same level.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:42 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,088,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
It's no wonder there is so much violence in public on video today. Why do people do this kind of crap? Can't anyone mind their own G.D. business?
I believe only you can answer why you wanted to turn a simple suggestion into a violent altercation. Not sure why you would posy to CD asking strangers why you are the way you are.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:44 AM

299 posts, read 228,446 times
I know that if I'm in front of someone and notice an open line I will usually let the person behind know. Especially if they have very little items compared to myself.

Personally this is just another example why out society is going down the tubes. People are more willing to fight a stranger giving helpful advice or suggestion (because how dare someone talk to me or boss me around!) then simply smile say okay and go check out their items and leave before the other guy even finishes.

This whole thread is weird and the reason so many people hate going out or develop anxiety issues. They absolutely have stopped being as courteous to others outside their known circle. Any simply positive effort can turn into drama at best or a altercation at worse because some people are so on edge they can't even comprehend someone being helpful or telling them something they randomly don't want to hear/do.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:50 AM

2,754 posts, read 1,244,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
These are all really petty.

Stuff happens.

Move on.
petty, move on?? what the hell? sounds like you don't like people coming here sharing their experience which every one does including you. This is not petty it's annoying and people need to stop and think before they assume another shopper is to stupid to know they can go to the self-check if they choose to. It should b obvious to anyone that when a person goes to the line of their choice it's what they want. If we want the self-check we know how to get there ourselves.

Most of the time the store fails to have a good employee there to help when there is a problem with the new self-check computerized registers. Now some of them work with the cell phones and use the customers phone number to get the sale prices.

A cashier that refuses to bag two light items is lazy and should be fired not given the choice to help. Folding her arms and making the childish mad face tells me she wasn't given any choice she made that stubborn decision all by herself. If I have bag everything by myself all the time, then I should refuse to pay her salary.
She gets paid just like all the others who do help with bagging. The cost of food is very expensive so why is she getting paid to do less work? ever think of that.

Old 12-12-2021, 08:58 AM

10,138 posts, read 6,514,373 times
Wow. This thread just reinforces why I order the bulk of my groceries online and pick them up at the store - no lines necessary. The only place I shop in-store is Wegmans for fresh greens, and the checkers and other shoppers are invariably polite and friendly there. No drama involved.

Old 12-12-2021, 09:04 AM

10,051 posts, read 5,771,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
And I'm not obligated to concede to yours. Keep your eyes on your own plate.
Nobody's eyes were on anyone's plate; the man was trying to offer a helpful suggestion. If that's a borderline traumatic event for someone, that someone is wound way too tightly.

Old 12-12-2021, 09:11 AM

62,110 posts, read 87,911,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
The guy was just trying to offer a helpful suggestion to you and you were about to turn it into an argument?

Yes. This ^^^
Lots of people seem not to know that there are other options like self check, fast lane for x amount of items, etc.
I think OP misunderstood his good intentions and became angry about nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology