Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 05:14 AM

979 posts, read 425,325 times

Advertisements

I don't know how I've managed to shop at supermarkets for decades and never have these problems.

Old 12-13-2021, 05:44 AM

23,649 posts, read 14,196,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I have family in Memphis and this video is so true! Grocery shopping is just a great big ole get together! I especially love the ladies at checkout who always try to guess what you'll be making with your items and then go on to tell you how their mom used to make the same thing. Sometimes they'll even tell you their mom's secret ingredient ... if you're nice
Well, A, B, C.....and then D.

A: My version of the quick trip is get in, lay the explosives, and get out!

B: But of course it is rarely like that since I have a stock piling mentality and I imagine people looking at my basket and thinking......she must be a cook.

C: If I run into some one I know then Kara comes on line, absolute Supergirl energy.......or Prince Vultan when it is the cashier.

.........and D, a decade ago or so, I use to do that quick trip in....after work.....to buy a steak for comfort eating. Stopped that a while back.

Old 12-13-2021, 06:10 AM

9,607 posts, read 5,394,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
How someone treats the unasked-for opinion of a stranger is hardly a reliable indicator of how someone responds to a "friend" or "intimate" but feel free to smear away.
I beg to differ. It is how we treat strangers and animals that indicates your temperment, barring a lunatic or vicious animal 'attacking' you somehow.

You want 'smear?' I'll bet a few of us could give you a REAL example of what a smear is.
Grow up. The guy was trying to help. No wonder people aren't nice to one another anymore. No good deed goes unpunished.

Old 12-13-2021, 06:21 AM

10,146 posts, read 6,536,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
I don't know how I've managed to shop at supermarkets for decades and never have these problems.
Me either. I actually like to talk to people in check-out lines. I still remember a conversation I had with a guy who was holding a huge watermelon at a Food Lion - it was a riot.

Old 12-13-2021, 07:55 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,023,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Me either. I actually like to talk to people in check-out lines. I still remember a conversation I had with a guy who was holding a huge watermelon at a Food Lion - it was a riot.
I've been told I have an open, friendly look to my face so maybe that's why I've been asked so many times, in the grocery aisles, for opinions on different items. The questions usually come from men shopping by themselves and they're not trying to pick me up (I'm 65 but it's happened my entire adult life.) I'm so happy to help and I've been thanked warmly by strangers - some of whom were on an errand for their wife and rarely did the grocery shopping themselves.

Old 12-13-2021, 07:58 AM

6,331 posts, read 4,251,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I beg to differ. It is how we treat strangers and animals that indicates your temperment, barring a lunatic or vicious animal 'attacking' you somehow.

You want 'smear?' I'll bet a few of us could give you a REAL example of what a smear is.
Grow up. The guy was trying to help. No wonder people aren't nice to one another anymore. No good deed goes unpunished.

Old 12-13-2021, 08:25 AM

3,460 posts, read 1,826,041 times
Costco has to assign dedicated people to point people to the next available lane every time. Most people just go aimlessly towards the checkout and line up at the most closest lane and few look around to see. That's how it is at most checkouts around here.

Old 12-13-2021, 08:40 AM

16,184 posts, read 21,342,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Just don't bother coming down south then. You ain't getting through Publix or Walmart without having a conversation with at least one stranger, not to mention the conversations with people you do know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH1Z4weWmPg
"How's yer mom and 'em?" OMG, so true, laughing myself silly over that, it just hit home for me.

Old 12-13-2021, 10:14 AM

22,131 posts, read 13,276,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I have family in Memphis and this video is so true! Grocery shopping is just a great big ole get together!
The chick in the video must be a transplanted northerner. Possibly even New Yorker.

Old 12-13-2021, 10:25 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,167,167 times
I've also had the self checkout lane suggested to me when waiting in line. I just say, "Thank you. I'm fine." If they persist, I say, "I know the checker and would like to say hello." That usually shuts them up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology