Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 01:46 AM

865 posts, read 1,494,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
There is always CD, friends and family and job. Do I need to pay a stranger to get me back on track AND pay for it? Not here.
I agree with this wholeheartedly! I went to a therapist last year between Halloween and Thanksgiving since the pandemic and lockdowns waa getting to me. Shw said I should immediately go out to church social club, or classes to make friends...when everything was shot down. That is only one example of bad counseling advice I received over the years. These folks at City Data are ten times better that the therapists I ha e seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 03:48 AM

35,403 posts, read 17,327,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Joe: Your psych should have at least recommended another one for you, rather than sending you on your way, with nothing. This is not good mental health practice. Is there a Community Health Center in your area? They usually provide psych service especially if you need meds.
Mine, who I saw once a month did. I met the new one once. There was zero chemistry.

Old 01-05-2022, 01:47 PM

15,765 posts, read 9,602,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
This is completely lacking in compassion or caring, but it's unfortunately not unheard of.

Had he already prescribed and didn't give you a referral? That's really malpractice. Call his office back and ask for a referral in that case.
I had a home health nurse come see me on December 22nd and she was upset when I told her what happened. She called my doctor's office to urge them t reconsider and they said they would call me back to let me know. That was two weeks ago today. Still n phone call. I will probably end up in a hospital ort worse before it gets better. SMH

Old 01-05-2022, 03:20 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,615,155 times
OP, I don't know what you use for payment of your telehealth appointments, but you could try https://doctorondemand.com for your need of psychiatrist appointments and medication and counseling.

There are other telehealth services too nationally besides https://doctorondemand.com - put telehealth services into google

Old 01-05-2022, 03:22 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,127,887 times
It doesn't surprise me. I think it's reflected in the quality of care, too. I gave one of those exclusive telehealth providers, BetterHelp, a chance when I was needing some mental health care due to isolation and work-related stress. The web portal is really cool in that it allows you to find someone with expertise in your areas of need. Well, I found a guy on there who grew up around the same area I grew up across country and figured he'd really get where I'm coming from. This particular MSW was booked out quite a bit, so I could usually only get sessions a couple times a month that worked for me, and sometimes less. I had a pretty bad episode at one point and reached out to him via the portal expressing that I needed to talk and his exact response to me was "What are you expecting from me?". I was stunned that a mental health professional would respond in such an abrupt manner to a patient in need. I took a break for a few weeks and he'd send out very generic "check-in" messages through the portal that seemed like some sort of auto-generated macro message that he could choose from a drop down menu. It was very impersonal and quite a bit unhelpful.

Not long after, I withdrew from therapy with them and cancelled my subscription. The first MSW I ever worked with was significantly better, but she was through a traditional health care provider network. We did telehealth sessions once a week or so and, in comparison, they went very well.

Old 01-05-2022, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post

This particular MSW.....

The first MSW......
I would not necessarily choose a person with a masters degree in social work for mental health counseling. (MSW)

Old 01-05-2022, 03:39 PM

7,375 posts, read 4,717,994 times
MSW’s need a clinical license to provide therapy. To obtain that they work for 3000 hours under the supervision of a licensed MSW. The skills of the therapist matters more than the degree.

Old 01-05-2022, 04:15 PM

Having read the lack of insight and poor analysis of one of CD's resident MSW posters, I would steer clear of many MSW's (masters of social work) for mental health counseling.

But I, of course, am not basing opinion on just the one MSW - I know much more on which my decision/opinion is based....and, of course, not all lack insight and lack good analysis.

Old 01-05-2022, 04:52 PM

20,213 posts, read 13,632,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
OP, I don't know what you use for payment of your telehealth appointments, but you could try https://doctorondemand.com for your need of psychiatrist appointments and medication and counseling.

There are other telehealth services too nationally besides https://doctorondemand.com - put telehealth services into google
In my experience with family members who have gone that route, many of those are limited (or limit themselves) in what meds they will prescribe without in-person involvement. You won't for example get controlled substances in that way AFAIK. But I would certainly urge the OP to investigate that thoroughly.

Old 01-05-2022, 05:33 PM

1,250 posts, read 686,772 times
And they really don't help too much. How can they? It's basically hiring a friend to listen to you vent - that's it.

I think there are "warm lines" which might provide the same service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology