Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 11:28 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,716,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Draper View Post
Umm, yes I do. Something negative to say about that?
No, just seeking clarity. You say you'll never have a family of your own, and then you say you actually DO have a family of your own. Seems...contradictory? But whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 12:04 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,345,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I don't think age has anything to do with being humbled by the vagaries of life. It can happen at any age.
Perhaps my reaction time has slowed, but age seems to accelerate the pace of vagaries. Small consolation that my grip on a preferred reality may also be weaker.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:11 PM

928 posts, read 498,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
No, just seeking clarity. You say you'll never have a family of your own, and then you say you actually DO have a family of your own. Seems...contradictory? But whatever.
Not my biological child is what I meant, so not a child of my own.

Old 01-19-2022, 01:23 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,566,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
I think it depends on the person and their values. I think a lot of people become more arrogant and set in their ways as they age. There are a lot of older people I've met and/or worked with that seem to think that only their way is the correct way and that any other way is foolish or detrimental. But these people were probably always a bit arrogant and self-absorbed; they just became more arrogant and self-absorbed.

One thing I'll concede is that my priorities have changed as I've gotten older and I don't put as much credence in the views of other people as I used to. For instance, I don't care as much about the material possessions I once did, and I don't attach my concept of self-worth to a dollar value. There also used to be a time that, if someone criticized me for the way I did something, it could bring me to a crippling halt and I would be consumed with self-doubt. But now I realize that their views aren't necessarily the "right way" either, because there are often many ways to confront an issue or objective. I didn't have the confidence or perspective earlier in life to know any better, or that these people are often just faking it till they make it, too.
My grandfather was correct. There IS an easier way to do most everything. And he had found a great many of them. Too bad I didn't want to listen when I was much younger. And he wasn't the least bit arrogant. Just very intelligent, and methodical. I miss him so much, and grandma too.

Old 01-19-2022, 02:02 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Interesting topic. I am about to turn 60. My husband passed away unexpectedly at aged 62 (when I was 58) and my mom had a life altering stroke at aged 65 so 60 is a bit of a biggie to me. But I didn't expect to lose so much in my 50s - I lost both parents, my younger brother, AND THEN my darling husband - oh, and both inlaws who I was close to as well. So lots and lots of loss. Maybe my 60s will be less traumatic, who knows.

Anyway, the thing that surprises me now is that I have aches and pains I never used to have. I am not sickly - far from it. I am blossoming with health as far as I know in fact, and I'm on zero medications which is GREAT. But I can't get up and down off the floor easily anymore. That's surprising. Plus I let my hair do its natural thing and it's definitely mostly gray.

I realize with a start that I LOOK like an older woman too, even though to me anyway, I look good for my age. But I think of myself as perpetually around 35 or 40 years old - not 60. It's very surprising actually.

One thing I feel a lot calmer about though is death. I'm not looking forward to it but I don't dread it like I used to. I guess I just know too many precious people "on the other side," who have made that journey already, to dread it.

Old 01-19-2022, 02:26 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,709,200 times
Growing older has made me very aware that even the smallest of blessings can be beautiful. I have also learned to live in gratitude!

I am 53 and I am not living my healthiest at the moment but am taking steps to improve that (as far as my weight). Have been through a lot the past few years, but haven't we all? So, taking steps to improve my overall health and well-being is a top priority. When I was younger, it wasn't much of a thought.... I want to be around a VERY long time for my family

I have always tried to be a kind person, but that has now become super prominent in my day-to-day dealings with people. It doesn't take much effort to be nice.

Old 01-19-2022, 03:04 PM

3,108 posts, read 1,002,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

... I think of myself as perpetually around 35 or 40 years old - not 60. It's very surprising actually.
You will be surprised but many people feel like that. The soul is forever young, that's why this perception. It's the soul that is "talking" to you.

Old 01-19-2022, 03:18 PM

979 posts, read 417,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Draper View Post
Not my biological child is what I meant, so not a child of my own.
Do you have a wife? Siblings? Cousins? Parents? Aunts? Uncles? Step-kids?

Old 01-19-2022, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post
You will be surprised but many people feel like that. The soul is forever young, that's why this perception. It's the soul that is "talking" to you.
That's what I hear.

My husband always felt 35 too. My dad always said he felt about 40. My mom said about 35.

Old 01-19-2022, 04:12 PM

I have a friend who just turned 90. That's right - I have friends of all ages - from 20 through 90 basically. Anyway, we were just talking about how old we feel internally and she said she always sees herself as about aged 40.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology