Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 01:12 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,610,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj538 View Post
Well, I'll put to you this way. I'm much more politically correct in person than I am online. Depending on the forum's rules, I pretty much say what I really think and that includes discussion about taboo subjects such as race as long as I know I won't get banned where I'm posting.
And if you're at risk of being banned, it probably tells you something about your behavior and viewpoint, that it's off, doesn't it? Yes it does.
There's nothing taboo about race. There's only that it's taboo to be racist, and rightly so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2022, 01:27 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,114,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
And if you're at risk of being banned, it probably tells you something about your behavior and viewpoint, that it's off, doesn't it? Yes it does.
There's nothing taboo about race. There's only that it's taboo to be racist, and rightly so.
You might not want to venture into P&OC-land, my friend. It's pretty much every ridiculous, asinine idea that is out there, run amok.

It's kind of like what they did in that fictional HBO show, The Wire. To reduce crime statistics, the Baltimore PD instituted a drug selling zone in the city where all the drug dealers and crackheads could do their business. It falsely led to the perception that crime was going down. It really wasn't, it was just taking place in a more confined area. That's essentially what the P&OC sub serves as. Those taboo posters are here, mostly confined to P&OC. But sometimes they venture out into the real world, and sometimes we have the misfortune of running into it.

Old 02-05-2022, 01:33 PM

10,981 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
You might not want to venture into P&OC-land, my friend. It's pretty much every ridiculous, asinine idea that is out there, run amok.
Yet it's the most active forum on here. I never click "new posts" because it's littered with P&OC threads I always avoid. I don't like wading through all the often ridiculous and inflammatory titles. Let them have their tent. I just go down the list of subscribed forums to check for new threads and posts.

Old 02-05-2022, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Yet it's the most active forum on here. I never click "new posts" because it's littered with P&OC threads I always avoid. I don't like wading through all the often ridiculous and inflammatory titles. Let them have their tent. I just go down the list of subscribed forums to check for new threads and posts.
Agreed, and it's not really surprising.

I tend to have my "favorite" subs and check into those when time permits and I'm bored.

It's the idea of running into the loonies and radicals on the other subs that is unfortunate. Sometimes they do venture out of their so-called tent.

Old 02-05-2022, 01:53 PM

10,981 posts, read 6,852,461 times
What bothers me is that left leaning, center-left, moderates and independents have no echo chamber of their own on here. We get shouted down and bullied, and that's not fair. We stay out of their tent, they should stay out of ours if there were one. Over time I've seen (as have others) that there are a lot more left leaning, center-left, moderates and independents on here than is obvious.

Old 02-05-2022, 02:01 PM

Default Proud, registered independent

Quote:
What bothers me is that left leaning, center-left, moderates and independents have no echo chamber of their own on here. We get shouted down and bullied, and that's not fair. We stay out of their tent, they should stay out of ours if there were one. Over time I've seen (as have others) that there are a lot more left leaning, center-left, moderates and independents on here than is obvious.
Hah, yes. I'm a (proud) moderate and can skew either left or right depending on the topic. I agree, there is not much of a safe space for us on the internet. That was a big issue on reddit that bothered me. It seemed like if you ever did become engaged in a political or social topic, if you didn't take an extreme enough stance, it was downvote central. So I just stopped engaging altogether. Eventually deleted my account over a year ago.

Old 02-05-2022, 02:48 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
I agree! A few years ago, it was suggested by a moderator that we have a left-leaning politics forum of our own. I encouraged it, but it never happened. There's lots I'd like to discuss with other lefties/moderates. But we have to keep our heads down to placate the right, and that's not fair, as you say.

Old 02-05-2022, 03:07 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Anonymity brings out the worst in us. This is why people are so much more rude in cars vs walking down the sidewalk.
I had kind of forgotten about this. Way pre-dating the Internet, we used to say that about bad drivers. The anonymity of the vehicle! Now if you confronted them face-to-face....

Old 02-05-2022, 04:03 PM

8,313 posts, read 3,921,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post

It's kind of like what they did in that fictional HBO show, The Wire. To reduce crime statistics, the Baltimore PD instituted a drug selling zone in the city where all the drug dealers and crackheads could do their business. It falsely led to the perception that crime was going down. It really wasn't, it was just taking place in a more confined area. That's essentially what the P&OC sub serves as. Those taboo posters are here, mostly confined to P&OC. But sometimes they venture out into the real world, and sometimes we have the misfortune of running into it.
P&OC serves an important public service though. It allows everyone to better understand how delusional and dangerous ideas take root and how they are spread.

Even in P&OC there is moderation, no foul language is allowed, etc. Go to Reddit and check out some of the political subreddits if you want to see the Wild Wild West. It does both of the things the OP mentions, attracts terrible deranged people and makes them even more destructive.

Old 02-05-2022, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
P&OC serves an important public service though. It allows everyone to better understand how delusional and dangerous ideas take root and how they are spread.

Even in P&OC there is moderation, no foul language is allowed, etc. Go to Reddit and check out some of the political subreddits if you want to see the Wild Wild West. It does both of the things the OP mentions, attracts terrible deranged people and makes them even more destructive.
I mentioned in an earlier post the problems with reddit moderation. I was a moderator of a 400k+ member sub at one time. The mod tools are terrible. They do not allow you to track problem posters appropriately or trace a specific user to an IP. On top of that, you have people who join moderation teams and do absolutely nothing. For them, it's more of a status symbol than anything else. And worst of all, you have those who join moderation teams for the purpose of having control over others. This creates an experience where you can be either be heavily censored for the mere fact that you disagree with someone on a topic, or you will not get much help from the moderation team at all. There is very little consistency, because every sub runs independently from the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology