Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 12:14 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,842,111 times

Advertisements

OP~

Has your daughter had the help of a therapist? Her weight gain is a physical manifestation of a psychological situation. Now, the psycho trigger may have been from something "physical" in her past, but let the therapist discover that.

As far as eating disorders go, girls are 97% wanting to lose weight. Whereas,

boys are split almost 50/50 wanting to gain or lose weight.

This is a direct result of social pressures, and industry expectations. (Think marketing/advertising industries.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 12:14 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadNewYorkFan View Post
thats what Ive explained to my wife, hounding her just leads to more hiding things from us.
What was your wife's behavior toward food and your daughter's body while she was living at home? Did your wife criticize her (or herself) or say things like, "you don't need that, do you?" Your daughter might have reacted not just to the stress of college, but the freedom of not being watched over with regard to her diet.

Old 02-16-2022, 12:16 PM

21 posts, read 17,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
If it were actually food......However what now passes for food is in reality chemical extracts that are nothing but dopamine bursts.

Its not a good thing to be obese, and its not "normal". Not sure that berating anyone will help, but 55 lbs in a short time is in the range of substance abuse. its not going to enrich her life. Its substance abuse.

I'd be upset but hard to say what one can do about it in any detail.
You're right, obesity isn't great, but, crushing her under our collective thumb isn't great either. I was shocked to hear 55 pounds was the number, but, after hearing that her daily food was almost entirely fried food, desserts, and alcohol, it makes sense how that weight came.

Old 02-16-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
OP~

Has your daughter had the help of a therapist? Her weight gain is a physical manifestation of a psychological situation. Now, the psycho trigger may have been from something "physical" in her past, but let the therapist discover that.

As far as eating disorders go, girls are 97% wanting to lose weight. Whereas,

boys are split almost 50/50 wanting to gain or lose weight.

This is a direct result of social pressures, and industry expectations. (Think marketing/advertising industries.)

No, she has not had a therapist in the past.

Old 02-16-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
What was your wife's behavior toward food and your daughter's body while she was living at home? Did your wife criticize her (or herself) or say things like, "you don't need that, do you?" Your daughter might have reacted not just to the stress of college, but the freedom of not being watched over with regard to her diet.
Yes, lots of " Is that very healthy?" or, when she saw my daughter in clothes she hadn't taken to school, clothes we'd kept home, there was lots of " Feel a bit too snug? too tight? Those used to fit"

Old 02-16-2022, 12:22 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
I could be wrong, but it looks very much like DD couldn't wait to get away from parental oversight. Food, alcohol? This is pretty serious. The parent's reaction has to be measured, but proportionate to the size of the problem which is pretty significant.

Clearly, if the daughter had felt that home was a place of non-judgment and supportive, she would not have hid her changes. So, there isn't really any direct help the parents can offer. But I would direct her to independent programs that are free of the front load of family history. They can, in fact, insist on it. And a program worth its salt will include the parents in the healing process.

Old 02-16-2022, 12:23 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,541,411 times
Your wife is why there are so many young women struggling with eating disorders. She needs to lay off your daughter, pronto. Just focus on the other things, as you aim to do.

Old 02-16-2022, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
Your wife is why there are so many young women struggling with eating disorders. Both of you need to lay off your daughter, pronto.

I'm not going to bring it up unless my daughter asks for help directly from me

Old 02-16-2022, 12:25 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
OP~

It seems a lot of people assume a sexual assault or similar to trigger overweight/obese eating. I do think it's a tiresome thought that people overeat to become unattractive. People overeat because of stress of some sort and eating eases the stress temporarily or numbs the discomfort.

When I worked in detox, I saw many people with successful bariatric surgery come in with an alcohol or drug problem- still numbing out, however possible. One co-worker who weighed 325 pounds and knew she was an emotional eater had successful bariatric surgery and said "I miss eating" and had a breakdown with suicide attempt.

If someone is emotionally overeating, therapy could be helpful for sure. Just that it's not an attempt to become obese/unattractive as is often assumed.

Old 02-16-2022, 12:26 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,679,244 times
Does your wife think that your daughter is somehow UNAWARE that she's gotten really fat? In this world where young women are constantly obsessed with their weight? Does your wife think that your daughter is UNABLE to read up on how to manage weight and lose it?

Believe me, she knows. The best thing to do is to let her work it out, and offer what support you can, but the moves need to come from her. Nagging her all the time isn't going to do anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology