Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 09:04 AM

6,794 posts, read 5,673,410 times

Advertisements

I do but have found that only 1 of my friends can carry such a conversation. Most are not interested and some are simply not capable of deep thought... unfortunately.

Of course, the reason i am friends with anyone is the ability to connect so some connections are not deep but rather thin but still fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2022, 09:38 AM

27,652 posts, read 28,756,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginssal View Post
I do. We would dive into different things like the meaning of life, each others concerns, joys, philosophy, just name it. Sometimes we would chat for 2 hours straight or more and you know what? Time flies while you are at it.

Its so enriching to be able to explore each others point of view, accepting different opinions. Im a thinker and a "deep" person. My friends know that and we we would not engage into topics like the weather. Besides convos on a deeper level broaden each others horizon.

Whats your take on this?
I am reluctant to have "deep" conversations with people I know. There is too much drama, bad experiences, ulterior motives, etc., for me to have those kinds of conversations, unfortunately. People are too divided.

Maybe life was simpler when I was younger.

Old 03-04-2022, 11:33 AM

23,615 posts, read 70,539,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginssal View Post
I do. We would dive into different things like the meaning of life, each others concerns, joys, philosophy, just name it. Sometimes we would chat for 2 hours straight or more and you know what? Time flies while you are at it.

Its so enriching to be able to explore each others point of view, accepting different opinions. Im a thinker and a "deep" person. My friends know that and we we would not engage into topics like the weather. Besides convos on a deeper level broaden each others horizon.

Whats your take on this?
Regrettably, most people older than about twenty-five years of age are incapable of having "deep" conversations that have real substance. The demands of work, raising children, maintaining social relationships, worrying about money/health/retirement/relatives all conspire to limit the exploration needed to build the chops required.

These people are perfectly happy and grounded in their worlds, and the above paragraph is in no way meant as a disrespect to them. The experience of life is fulfillment enough for the majority of people, and probably a lot healthier for most.

At a certain point in development and individuation, once a world view has solidified, "deep" conversations become more of a threat to the ego and "place" in society at large than a fun exploration. Try to discuss the meaning of life and human suffering with a venture capitalist and you will get a slanted response heavy on personal responsibility. Alternatively, if an individual's world view is strongly held, conversations can become strident and lop-sided, which are turn-offs to others. Anyone who has ever attempted to engage a crusading missionary in a wide-ranging philosophical debate knows the feeling.

"Deep" conversations between adults in the latter half of life work well when there have been significant life experiences, interactions with people on both an individual and large group basis, studies in philosophy, varied religions, psychology, and physics. Life does not often give room or time for such polymaths to fully develop.

As for myself and deep conversations, I detest the telephone, having had to use it so much in work. That said, those who have shown to be trustworthy enough for me to open up have sometimes been (very willingly) in phone conversation with me for over six hours at a stretch.

It grieves me that friends and relatives get caught up and veer either to the far left or far right and lose the ability to flex, or even see through positions that are utterly transparent to me. Deep conversations are largely a past memory for me. I look to purpose before entering into conversation these days. I have nothing to prove, no crusade, and in many cases a "deep" conversation with another might be more damaging than productive.

Old 03-04-2022, 12:01 PM

102,246 posts, read 108,166,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
The statement assumes women have no interest in talking about automotives. That is a sexist assumption.
He said he realized it's a topic with a limited audience. And I didn't say, "so you don't talk to women at all". I said "you don't talk to women much".

But yeah, even women who are into changing their own oil and flat tires generally aren't into discussing torque. But then, neither are a lot of men. Which is why the OP said, "fortunately there's youtube" following his "limited audience" comment.

Old 03-04-2022, 12:08 PM

8,109 posts, read 7,482,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Uhh, just because a woman says "so you don't talk to women much?" that makes her sexist when clearly it's a conversation that most women do not enjoy? Okay then!

I'll be sure to make some chick conversation in here and see if you males will partake.
It was intended as a little joke (very little, apparently). That's why I added the smirking sunglasses emoji.

Old 03-04-2022, 12:10 PM

11,088 posts, read 6,941,564 times
Ok

Old 03-04-2022, 12:59 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,972,999 times
I did in my late teens and 20's. It was a pleasure to get drunk or stoned with a friend or two and discuss and solve all the problems of the world. But they were all forgotten the next morning. College assignments and classes were a great place for these discussions as well. Deep conversations are essentially theoretical in nature.

But once I was married and working and had kids, there wasn't much need for theoretical conversations, as practical matters were discussed with friends and relatives and co-workers, rather than theoretical ones.

In retirement I get my theoretical conversations on the television or youtube. I don't discuss politics or religion or art or literature, etc. much at all in person with anyone. I'd say conversations are either practical or gossip or things you can laugh about or reminisce about or catch up on to see if anything noteworthy has happened. A lot of it is just chit chat to keep in touch. I probably haven't enjoyed a deep conversation with anyone in person in 50 years. I guess posting on CD is as close as I get to it.

Last edited by bobspez; 03-04-2022 at 01:20 PM..

Old 03-04-2022, 04:55 PM

21,979 posts, read 9,562,060 times
I don't mind talking about deep topics but I just don't see a point in talking about the meaning of life. No one is ever going to know. My sister always wants to talk about it.

Old 03-04-2022, 05:36 PM

11,088 posts, read 6,941,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I think that many people have nothing to say. They repeat what they read on social media, even stupid stuff.
They want to keep talk light. They want to read tabloids, watch sitcoms or reality shows, post lol cats. Somehow they appear less curious. Or maybe they just have no time to spare, being on the run to work more to spend more. Time is money, and deep talk is a waste of that time when a buck could be made...
Also, people are too afraid to have own opinion, just because they don't want to upset anyone. So, honesty is pretty rare nowadays.
I do like to talk about politics, or religion, or psychology, world events, or other things people now find uncomfortable and not PC.
Soooooo true!! Years ago when I told a Jewish accountant friend of mine in NYC that I was majoring in applied theology and he was like "how are you going to make money with THAT?!" (He was right!) But that wasn't the point. The point is some people like deeper subjects. I will say, that P.A. was very much into the deep practice of his faith (not Judaism, as it turns out) but in the past 10-20 years I've found that people are gravitating more and more toward lighter, not deeper subjects.

Old 03-04-2022, 05:52 PM

25,616 posts, read 17,360,287 times
Yes, I would enjoy meaningful conversation. But I rarely find anyone who can talk about anything other than pop culture and sports.
I'm a geek. I need to know all about everything there is. One time at a small gathering I made a random remark about "if Warren Harding had lived" and this one lady almost leapt into my arms! We sat and had a long interesting conversation about everything under the sun.
Great conversation is wonderful....... And rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology