Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 05:16 PM

50,730 posts, read 36,447,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
That sounds like how my ex and I were and we also said it to our kids all the time. Now we're divorced and the kids are at the age where they don't seem to feel comfortable with the words. So basically that leaves my sister as the only one I say it, too. Kinda sad, really. Although six and seven years ago during my medical scare when I was in the hospital for nine months out of one year, I was saying it and had it said to me a lot because we never knew how long I might be around. I miss those words, but I feel like those days are over when I will say it to many people. I'm not feeling the love, in other words. I miss those words.
That is sad, and I hope you will again have the opportunity to say them. I didn’t meet my honey till I was 55 so it’s never too late. I work in nursing homes and the long term residents will take my hand and say “ILU” too, which I say back, so it doesn’t have to be just family or a romantic relationship either. Plenty of people need to hear those words in our world today..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2022, 05:21 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,340,440 times
Yes, I say it to my husband at least once a day. My bedtime routine includes a kiss and "I love you" before I turn over to sleep.

I say it to my adult children every time we leave each other.

I end every conversation with my parents with "I love you."

Oddly, I don't regularly say it to my siblings although I do love them. I do say it to my nephews and nieces.

Old 03-05-2022, 05:32 PM

1,719 posts, read 730,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That is sad, and I hope you will again have the opportunity to say them. I didn’t meet my honey till I was 55 so it’s never too late. I work in nursing homes and the long term residents will take my hand and say “ILU” too, which I say back, so it doesn’t have to be just family or a romantic relationship either. Plenty of people need to hear those words in our world today..
Bless your words and your work, dear lady!

Old 03-05-2022, 05:42 PM

1,719 posts, read 730,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
That sounds like how my ex and I were and we also said it to our kids all the time. Now we're divorced and the kids are at the age where they don't seem to feel comfortable with the words. So basically that leaves my sister as the only one I say it, too. Kinda sad, really. Although six and seven years ago during my medical scare when I was in the hospital for nine months out of one year, I was saying it and had it said to me a lot because we never knew how long I might be around. I miss those words, but I feel like those days are over when I will say it to many people. I'm not feeling the love, in other words. I miss those words.
I've been lookin' for a lover
But I haven't met her yet
She'll be nothing like I pictured her to be
In her eyes I will discover
Another reason why
I want to live and make the best of what I see

("Lookin' For A Love" by Neil Young)

You will have that love again, Joe.

Old 03-05-2022, 06:23 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
My husband died totally unexpectedly about 18 months ago. Just a few hours before he died, we spoke on the phone and as usual, our last words to each other were "I love you." I can't tell you how much comfort that has brought me over the months.

Those were also the last words between my dad and me, and my mom and me, and my brother and me.

My philosophy is - if you love someone, tell them often.

Old 03-05-2022, 06:24 PM

230 posts, read 164,943 times
Multiple times per day with my wife. Every call with my parents. Randomly with my kids and siblings.

Old 03-05-2022, 10:26 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,710,033 times
To my family... yes, every day. I also have wonderful friends that I love as well, and I let them know that regularly.

My family has experienced 2 awful losses in the last 18 months, so I never want it to be left unsaid.

Old 03-06-2022, 12:38 AM

26 posts, read 12,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My husband died totally unexpectedly about 18 months ago. Just a few hours before he died, we spoke on the phone and as usual, our last words to each other were "I love you." I can't tell you how much comfort that has brought me over the months.

Those were also the last words between my dad and me, and my mom and me, and my brother and me.

My philosophy is - if you love someone, tell them often.
Kathryn, that's so touching and so true. I think people you genuinely care about and love truly deserve to hear those words. So sorry for your loss. Keep telling your husband you love him, I am sure he can hear you. I let my dad know too although he has been gone for 4+ years

Old 03-06-2022, 12:49 AM

26 posts, read 12,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
Yes! I don't go overboard, but I say it on a regular basis to my loved ones.

My husband and I also say please, thank you, you're welcome, and "I appreciate that" to each other every day.

OP, I'm sure your relatives and friends appreciate your loving comments. Keep it up. You sound like a nice lady!
Thanks Bentonite, you are lovely as well. On the flipside, I happen to know people who dont like being told ILU. They go like "Yeah, whatever" I think thats so sad, but to each his /her own. I only say ILU if I really mean it. Actually I say it with my heart involved. IDK if that makes sense.

Old 03-06-2022, 01:31 AM

6,147 posts, read 4,506,352 times
I haven't anyone to say it to except my cats - oh, and my aunt, so I say it to them. I hope they are the last words I exchange with my aunt because she is very unwell. But she's the warmest of the people in my family, always was. The rest are a bunch of cold fish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology