Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 03:59 PM

20,410 posts, read 14,693,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euskalherria View Post
Yes. I don't want to be the one someone 'settled' for. That would hurt like hell and I would have a difficult time trusting the person, if not impossible. I would rather be alone as I am good with that - not saying I don't want anyone in my life but if push came to shove...

Also agree. I mentioned Richard Gere. Awesome actor and person - to me. I like his work, never seen a 'bad' Gere flick - although I'm not a fan of 'Pretty Woman', even though it was 'good'. Surprise, huh?

But am I 'into' him in a sexual way? Nope, no way, never. And that's how I am when it comes to *any* actor/actress/artist/musician/etc. - it's the person and their work, their creativity, their knowledge that 'lights me up'. Not their body parts.
LOL I was thinking of a thing I seem to like for some reason. I've noticed myself appreciating multiple actors specifically in playing roles as The Devil in movies. Elizabeth Hurley. Al Pacino. Hell, I'd say Tim Curry but I love him in everything always, forever. But the thing is...I have to usually specify that I like an actor ~in a specific role~ and I never feel like I actually know them. The actors are not the characters.

There are very few exceptions, which is why I mention Jeff Goldblum, I wasn't into him in the Jurassic Park days, but more recently when he started showing off his personality, which is all quirky fun jazz piano cat sweater guy. And there was a photo shoot with a leather jacket that...whoo... Well. Alright.

But man, my appreciation of somebody like that is on the level of noticing a cool something in a shop window and being just like, "Hey, I like that." No need to rush in and put my hands on it!

Also pretentiousness, arrogance, puts me off. Heh...as a teenager I liked Marilyn Manson, until I saw him in concert in 1996. He was so damn arrogant I wanted to shout, "You're not the Antichrist, BRIAN. You're just some guy with stupid contacts!" I guess some people, they are just more real, rather than BS and posture. You know who's nice? Cary Elwes. He's an absolute sweetheart. Before Covid I saw him at a con and he just went around hugging everybody. (lol I know that might not appeal to you, I think he did ask first.)

It's good when they're nice. When they remember that they are human, and that their fans are the reason why they get paid.

Old 03-15-2022, 04:27 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,399,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I am a hetero guy, so I cannot judge men's looks, but I was always under the impression that women preferred taller guys.
I really hate it when guys have to make it sooooo clear they're "hetero" - reminds me of a decade or so ago when kids/boys/guys had to end every single statement with "no h0m0" just in case somebody could possibly take something the "wrong way" - that tells me exactly their mindset.

Quote:
So you like guys that are eye level when you are barefoot?
I thought most women wanted a guy they could at least wear high heels with (when going out), and not be taller than their man.

5'8" is small for a man, as the average American male is about 5'10" with many much taller. Look at the HS boys today, as many are 6'0
Then again if you lived in Indonesia, a 5'8" guy would be tall compared with the average of 5'2"
I think the average guy in the Netherlands is 6'1"

Anyway, I always get a laugh when that midget actor runs on the table and drop kicks Will Ferrel to the ground.
uhmmmmm...my ex was actually 5'2"....we didn't divorce due to height.

So are you keeping your wife around until her T or A drop, then she's out? And is your height the only reason she lets you sleep in the house? just joking!

Anyway, what does this have to do with OP - she can like whoever and it makes no difference to her situation.

Last edited by reneeh63; 03-15-2022 at 04:47 PM..

Old 03-15-2022, 04:47 PM

16,637 posts, read 8,636,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
uhmmmmm...my ex was actually 5'2"....we didn't divorce due to height.

So are you keeping your wife around until her T or A drop, then she's out? And is your height the only reason she lets you sleep in the house? just joking!
5'2" ? ? ?

Wow, are you Barbara Boxer or Judge Judy under 5" ?
The angry south pole elf might in the video I posted have had a shot with you.

In all seriousness, to each their own, as I was only talking about averages/norms, not individual taste.

While someone does not need to be Hulk Hogan to protect their family, women are hardwired to some extent to see their mate as a protector of her and the family. Ergo, larger men are more likely to provide said protection, vs. smaller ones (generally speaking).
I also knew a girl who was very short and always said she was going to marry big guy so she would have taller children.
While I suspect this was a personal desire, maybe on some level she was in touch with her biological urges to produce stronger children, with the goal of their survival.
But I digress.

As to my wife, she has natural beauty, and although she is still attractive, her looks are not what is important to me. She possesses an inner beauty which makes her my life long mate. Great wife, great mother, and some day a great grandmother.
Sure as a guy, I am hardwired to spread my genes into as many a fertile females, to carry on the genetic line of my ancestors.
Yet I am capable of seeing beyond the hardwiring, and lustful temptations, to never break my vow and wreck our marriage.
This coming from an avowed bachelor who fooled around and fell in love.

Old 03-15-2022, 06:23 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,399,542 times
Quote:
5'2" ? ? ?

Wow, are you Barbara Boxer or Judge Judy under 5" ?
The angry south pole elf might in the video I posted have had a shot with you.

In all seriousness, to each their own, as I was only talking about averages/norms, not individual taste.

While someone does not need to be Hulk Hogan to protect their family, women are hardwired to some extent to see their mate as a protector of her and the family. Ergo, larger men are more likely to provide said protection, vs. smaller ones (generally speaking).
I also knew a girl who was very short and always said she was going to marry big guy so she would have taller children.
While I suspect this was a personal desire, maybe on some level she was in touch with her biological urges to produce stronger children, with the goal of their survival.
But I digress.

As to my wife, she has natural beauty, and although she is still attractive, her looks are not what is important to me. She possesses an inner beauty which makes her my life long mate. Great wife, great mother, and some day a great grandmother.
Sure as a guy, I am hardwired to spread my genes into as many a fertile females, to carry on the genetic line of my ancestors.
Yet I am capable of seeing beyond the hardwiring, and lustful temptations, to never break my vow and wreck our marriage.
This coming from an avowed bachelor who fooled around and fell in love.
Wrong again...and again. I'm 5'5". And women obviously aren't "hard wired" to look for protectors because I'm not, and a lot of women aren't. Obviously if a woman wants a 6'6" hulk then I guess it's important for her, but don't make like it's must have. So yeah - you digress a lot, Mr. Hetero - cut the evolotionary biology because it's fallen into disrepute and I sure don't need someone to tell me about my own biological urges.

Oh wait - HER looks aren't important to YOU. But you "know" she's fertile so that's all that counts. ...you failed to mention your attributes other than wanting to spread your seed. yuck ....just carry on and don't try to spread pseudoscience about seed.

Old 03-15-2022, 07:05 PM

4,211 posts, read 4,466,549 times
This thread seems filled with people who slept at a Holiday Inn last night.

I was pleasantly surprised when I slept in the "Penelope Cruz" room at The Movie Hotel in Zagreb about 15 years ago on a European trip. It was hot and sticky in that room with no AC during a heat wave, but I had nice dreams when I eventually fell asleep.

Old 03-15-2022, 07:29 PM

16,565 posts, read 10,657,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
People like what they like. Prince was tiny, but he was sexy as hell.
Well, we're all entitled to our opinions . . .

Old 03-15-2022, 07:43 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,156,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post
Yeah, sorry, I don't believe you. Anyone can come on here and say they dated a celeb. Why not say who it is otherwise? Let's say it was Ryan Reynolds. Do you really think Ryan is on city-data looking to see if he's being discussed?! LMAO!

Also, it's not like you two ended up together so what do you care if anonymous randoms on a random forum know you dated him? It's not like any of us know who you are or even care for that matter. It's the celeb people care about—not the non-famous ex who is a nobody.

And if you signed some sort of NDA (if it even got that far) why bring it up at all?
Am I supposed to care if you believe me? I don't. I was replying to the thread topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
yep.
Repeat.

Old 03-16-2022, 12:39 AM

722 posts, read 430,175 times
Quote:
In most of human history, and certainly in modern day mammalian evolution, the strongest survive, mate, and yes their biological seed is spread out as much as possible, for the reasons I have already stated/played around with.
The fittest survive. The most fit to survive in their environment.
If the environment is making the survival of a particular gene impossible, it doesn't get passed on.

Old 03-16-2022, 06:50 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,156,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post
Right, and you had absolutely nothing to add. Do you know how ridiculous you sound?! “I dated a famous guy for a while. I like my privacy and hate having my pictures taken. It became super stressful. I prefer dating unknowns.”

Again, you’re NOT the famous person and you realize the paps were taking their photo and not yours, right?! So, why is that “super stressful” when it’s not even you they’re after?!

Anyways, liars with nothing to add except thoughts of self-absorbed silliness bore me. I’m off to go have afternoon tea with Penelope Cruz, followed by a date with Jason Momoa, and then a late-night party at Jay-Z and Beyonce’s loft. Maybe we’ll run into each other and we can compare notes on the lives of being stressed out nobodies who think they’re famous-adjacent but aren’t.
Who said I was? If I wanted fame by association I would be dating famous people. You can't do that and have your privacy because just dating one puts you in the public eye.

Why you so mad? Get turned down too many times?

Old 03-16-2022, 08:06 AM

3,381 posts, read 1,977,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
People like what they like. Prince was tiny, but he was sexy as hell.
I've never understood his popularity as a sex symbol. His music was good but the "sexy" label never made sense to me. Maybe it was just media hype and if something is said/written repeatedly, it becomes an accepted descriptive but I have lots of female friends (I'm a woman too) and not a single one would ever describe Prince as being sexy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology