Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2022, 09:16 AM

20,406 posts, read 14,693,571 times

Advertisements

Prince...I think he had a certain something. My Mom was obsessed with him, though. She had me watch Purple Rain with her when I was like 10, which I think was inappropriate, but whatever.

But you know what can really go jump in a lake?

This evo bio stuff. I swear it sounds like an alien is narrating an episode of Wild Kingdom focused on human beings. We're not ants, or birds, or lions. Whatever "animal instincts" we might have are somewhere between chimps and bonobos but we are so, SO much more complicated than that. We have governments and laws and a society, we each have our complex web of influences that we grew up with, we have religion (some of us at least) and ethics and morals and belief systems. We sit and navel gaze about the nature of life and death and our own impermanence and what we are here for and what we leave behind. We write stuff on the internet. I mean let's just start right there, OK, if you really insist that we're just animals driven by our most basic breeding instincts, how about you step away from the keyboard and go run wild trying to "spread your seed" on any "female" you can pin down long enough and see how long it takes for you to end up in prison. Or, preferably, don't...and instead just try to accept that it's in our nature to do a whole lot of crap that other creatures don't, and trying to oversimplify things just isn't a smart take or a good look.

I mean seriously, how many outliers and exceptions do we need before we can throw a "rule" out the window? Inquiring minds want to know.

It occurs to me that OP may have an untenable situation at home that she knows deep down she kinda wants to change, and coming here talking about this is just her way of asking if she seems unhappy enough to consider parting with her husband. I actually think that sometimes an excess of interest/enthusiasm for another person can be a big of an alarm bell from the deeper mind, saying, "Hey you know that there are other men in this world, right? You hate it here, what are you still doing here, maybe it's time to go." I believe that some people actually wind up cheating more as a catalyst to end something that they feel they need to end, but are scared to try for whatever reason. That the subconscious knows, cheating is one way to get this thing done. And I've said before in other threads, some men will not accept that a relationship is over UNTIL there has been cheating. I've always felt that these guys don't respect a woman's thoughts, feelings, or declarations, they can wave that aside and still feel like they have a say...but you get another MAN involved in the picture, and THEN they'll listen.

Old 03-16-2022, 09:27 AM

176 posts, read 73,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Prince...I think he had a certain something. My Mom was obsessed with him, though. She had me watch Purple Rain with her when I was like 10, which I think was inappropriate, but whatever.

But you know what can really go jump in a lake?

This evo bio stuff. I swear it sounds like an alien is narrating an episode of Wild Kingdom focused on human beings. We're not ants, or birds, or lions. Whatever "animal instincts" we might have are somewhere between chimps and bonobos but we are so, SO much more complicated than that. We have governments and laws and a society, we each have our complex web of influences that we grew up with, we have religion (some of us at least) and ethics and morals and belief systems. We sit and navel gaze about the nature of life and death and our own impermanence and what we are here for and what we leave behind. We write stuff on the internet. I mean let's just start right there, OK, if you really insist that we're just animals driven by our most basic breeding instincts, how about you step away from the keyboard and go run wild trying to "spread your seed" on any "female" you can pin down long enough and see how long it takes for you to end up in prison. Or, preferably, don't...and instead just try to accept that it's in our nature to do a whole lot of crap that other creatures don't, and trying to oversimplify things just isn't a smart take or a good look.

I mean seriously, how many outliers and exceptions do we need before we can throw a "rule" out the window? Inquiring minds want to know.

It occurs to me that OP may have an untenable situation at home that she knows deep down she kinda wants to change, and coming here talking about this is just her way of asking if she seems unhappy enough to consider parting with her husband. I actually think that sometimes an excess of interest/enthusiasm for another person can be a big of an alarm bell from the deeper mind, saying, "Hey you know that there are other men in this world, right? You hate it here, what are you still doing here, maybe it's time to go." I believe that some people actually wind up cheating more as a catalyst to end something that they feel they need to end, but are scared to try for whatever reason. That the subconscious knows, cheating is one way to get this thing done. And I've said before in other threads, some men will not accept that a relationship is over UNTIL there has been cheating. I've always felt that these guys don't respect a woman's thoughts, feelings, or declarations, they can wave that aside and still feel like they have a say...but you get another MAN involved in the picture, and THEN they'll listen.
Yeah whenever dudes start taking the whole alpha/beta thing and call themselves Alphas it’s soooo cringey.

So many grifters make money off of that garbage.

Old 03-16-2022, 09:41 AM

11,117 posts, read 7,184,815 times
Fantasy world is only good up to a point, and that point is when it crosses over to something negatively emotional and situationally disruptive.

See the negatives of this situation instead of fleeting positives. Come back to reality, for yours and others' sake.

P.S. What has "loving this celebrity" for 30 years potentially interfered with?

Old 03-16-2022, 10:02 AM

44,375 posts, read 20,083,252 times
This thread has been hijacked repeatedly (e.g., turning the topic of a celebrity crush into an argument about height). For the umpteenth time, people, please stay on topic when you post. The thread is now closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology