Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 09:50 AM

11,049 posts, read 6,639,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Never wanted to be around kids, find babies repulsive and would have been a terrible parent. It never changed and at 69, I am still relieved every day that I never changed.
Me too. But I bet you have a big soft spot for baby animals, like I do. I can barely make myself leave the big cages with chicks in them for sale this time of year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2022, 09:53 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
I expected to have children some time and thought about it but only in the sort of vague, abstract way someone with little experience can.

The Vietnam War interrupted my college education so I was twenty-six when I graduated. And also pregnant. Now that was good timing! It was in the early years of the pill and I had had some concern about side effect reports.

All my focus had been on education and finding a job so it was miserable timing for me. Everyone else was ecstatic. So my big decision was whether to terminate or to birth.

I was pro-abortion at the time. That's what we called it then. But I've never had the heart to terminate anything. Not even a book I'm reading. LOL Always too curious to see what happens next.

And I've always felt sure that whatever the task I take on I'll be able to do it. Sometimes that's been a mistake but it wasn't in this case with all the support I had.

After nearly fifty years of having children with all the worries, pains and joys that involved there is nothing I can say other than that I've been grateful that my choice was good and that I've gotten to know a pair of interesting and surprising humans.

And the first time that not-so-pleasant fifteen-year-old said to me, "I didn't ask to be born!" I answered, "Who does?"

We're family and they know I will always be there for them when they get stuck. The hardest part for me was learning to allow them to get stuck.

Old 03-29-2022, 10:32 AM

928 posts, read 499,327 times
I wanted kids, or at least one. I wanted to raise a kid better than I was raised and correct the major mistakes of my parents. I never got the chance. My brother, on the other had, has an adorable daughter who will probably need therapy because he never learned anything from our childhood and how to stop the generational curse. It's such a shame. All I can do now is try to be a good Uncle once she needs me, which isn't now (yet). I also just wanted to enjoy watching them grow, mannerisms, seeing their personality develop, influence them in positive ways, etc. What every parent wants, I would imagine.

Old 03-29-2022, 10:43 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I don't have kids.

But the why is easy. I mean ... did you not have at least partially a good time with your family? Well, if so, then why not have a family of your own? ...........

No one ever asked me, so even if that statement is true, it still doesn't necessarily apply.

Old 03-29-2022, 11:00 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Me too. But I bet you have a big soft spot for baby animals, like I do. I can barely make myself leave the big cages with chicks in them for sale this time of year.
Me three. We aren’t that rare. But your question was directed at people who did have kids.

Old 03-29-2022, 11:15 AM

6,297 posts, read 4,195,051 times
I never thought about it until after I married and it’s more a maternal gene! Yea, this coming from someone who didn’t play with dolls or any desire for dolls.

I absolutely adored being a mother and a sahm. That said I don’t feel people who choose not to have children should be told they are missing out . Life and love can be shared in so many unique ways and some of the most loving and devoted role models in my life were childless aunts. Honestly it’s like comparing apples and oranges. There is room for all kinds of love in this world.

I agree with Renee, having children doesn’t always equate into knowing the kind of love a parent has, because if that’s the case it’s not the kind of love I got from mine. My ex son in law obviously wasn’t blessed with any awe and joy at being a father, my grandson is just an inconvenience.

Old 03-29-2022, 11:26 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I never thought about it until after I married and it’s more a maternal gene! Yea, this coming from someone who didn’t play with dolls or any desire for dolls.

I absolutely adored being a mother and a sahm. That said I don’t feel people who choose not to have children should be told they are missing out . Life and love can be shared in so many unique ways and some of the most loving and devoted role models in my life were childless aunts. Honestly it’s like comparing apples and oranges. There is room for all kinds of love in this world.

I agree with Renee, having children doesn’t always equate into knowing the kind of love a parent has, because if that’s the case it’s not the kind of love I got from mine. My ex son in law obviously wasn’t blessed with any awe and joy at being a father, my grandson is just an inconvenience.
Thank you. Different people are good at different things, including parenting.

Old 03-29-2022, 12:48 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
No one ever asked me, so even if that statement is true, it still doesn't necessarily apply.
Sure, I'm in that boat too, more or less. Though I think there was one chance I had.

I understand why women can't be on the fence about this sort of thing.

Women like my sister just get so nuts about her kids, it's like the only thing that matters. Our mom wasn't like that lol. So women who were not able to have children may feel like they're really missing out.

I think men can be more on the fence.

Old 03-29-2022, 01:13 PM

18,721 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Some people should just not be parents.
Yes, of course. I'd be an idiot to have tried.

Old 03-29-2022, 01:15 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times
As with so many things, perception is from extrapolation of personal experience.

Does one celebrate the fact that one was born? Then perhaps there’s merit in trying to have children, passing on the gift, as it were. Does one instead regret having been born? Then it would be cruel and duplicitous to pass on the curse, by participating in the formation of new human life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology