Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 06:12 PM

2,281 posts, read 1,675,695 times

Advertisements

I knew of older sisters who were named Rose, Lily and Pansy. Pansy was born quite a few years after the other sisters and the name absolutely suited her. She had big blue/violet eyes and was quite the belle of the ball during her life. I always wondered what she would name daughters but she had sons (with very conventional names).

When I was growing up, the cool names were Kimberley and Candace. That was in a sea of Sharons, Kathys, Dianes, Nancys, and Lindas. I seldom hear those as baby names now and Kathy has morphed into Katie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2022, 11:04 AM

15,649 posts, read 10,405,925 times
i don't think a first name has much impact long term on a person's life unless it is a name that is hard to spell and unpronounceable for the average person. names that are too unusual (from the norm) often call attention that can be oppressive to people who don't like attention. also, some first names connote the person is from a low social class which may be a negative.

Old 04-07-2022, 11:45 AM

16,565 posts, read 10,657,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane de Poitiers View Post
I think it's fair to say that my "real" first name has definitely affected my self-image. Part of it is because I never felt my name was all that special or unique - it was one of the more popular/common names for girls when I was born, and there was always at least one other girl who shared my first name in my class.

As an adult, I would say the reason I'm not fond of my "real" first name is that people have a really hard time spelling it, and will often add extra letters.
I have the opposite problem. My name ends in a double consonant, and people are constantly depriving me of one of them. It doesn't help that I was born at the tail end of my name's popularity, so the only people I've ever known who have this name are my age or older. To be honest, I've never liked my name, either first or last. Maybe I'd be more outgoing if I felt more pride when I introduced myself.

Old 04-07-2022, 12:12 PM

15,649 posts, read 10,405,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I have the opposite problem. My name ends in a double consonant, and people are constantly depriving me of one of them. It doesn't help that I was born at the tail end of my name's popularity, so the only people I've ever known who have this name are my age or older. To be honest, I've never liked my name, either first or last. Maybe I'd be more outgoing if I felt more pride when I introduced myself.
i have a short and common first name but had a long and unusual maiden last name. no one ever spelled that name correctly! I married a man with a short, common name. i love my married name. i was grateful when my legal name became easy to say and spell.

Old 04-07-2022, 01:08 PM

13,715 posts, read 12,456,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
What do you think of a boy named Sue, or Percival (Percy) or Quincy.
I think of the song for Sue, but wouldn't think anything of Percy or Quincy. I went to a Catholic HS and there was more than one male Kelly (Irish) and no one thought anything of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I think some names are basically 'asking for' an association and seem to have been consciously chosen by parents to evoke an image. I suspect a lot of wealthy, educated people are careful to give their kids names that signify their status and wouldn't look out of place in their circles.
Yes to the latter, no to the former. Its hard to signify high status with a first name. It's much easier not to signal low socioeconomic status. The wealthiest man I personally met (I worked at a Country Club) was the grandson of the founder of a brand we all have in our kitchens. He went to Princeton, then Yale for law school, was a US Ambassador, was on the board of directors at various times for John Deere, United Airlines, etc...

His first name was Robert. His kids, grandkids, their spouses, had similar names. Douglas, Alexander, David, James, Anne, Mary, Carolynn, Dianne. All names that wouldn't be out of place in most prep schools, or most public schools either.

It's far more common that educated parents (subconsciously) telegraph political leanings. Liberals go for softer sounds and/or obscure but existing names. Conservatives are more likely to go for harder consonants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Some of us probably remember the old chestnut about the twin girls named Ima and Ura. Last name Hogg.

During my conservation/biology/public resource management career I came across too many unfortunate kids labeled by tree hugger parents. Forrest, River, Skye, Orion, Meadow, Raine, Oceane, Rowan, and, before I forget, Terra and Terra Dawn!

The Forrest I knew got as far away from his parents' expectations as possible; he's a mechanic who specializes in marine engines. The Terra Dawn makes her living on Broadway. Another flower child child went to LA and works at some high end hair salon.
I've known a few Forrests both personally and as public figures. Forrest Tucker, the bank robber, died in 2004 or so at 83. Forrest Gump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
Rowan is actually an Irish name.
And a tree name. I had a childhood friend with it as a surname.

Old 04-07-2022, 01:39 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,154,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
What I mean is, if a set of twins, for example, is named Mildred and Florence, or Agnes and Cornelia, do you think people’s perception of them, or their perception of themselves, will be different than if they were named, something trendy like Poppy and Willow, or something classic, like Sarah and Elizabeth?

Although I loved my grandmothers, their generation had names that I would never saddle any of my children with.
I always loved my first name until it became the insult du jour for entitled, middle-aged, white women. Three guesses as to what my name is. Does it affect my self-image? I don't think so, but it definitely makes me less likely to speak up in public.

Old 04-07-2022, 04:13 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,194,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
I always loved my first name until it became the insult du jour for entitled, middle-aged, white women. Three guesses as to what my name is. Does it affect my self-image? I don't think so, but it definitely makes me less likely to speak up in public.
This is really too bad. Would you consider using a nickname, or your middle name in place of your first?

Old 04-07-2022, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
This is really too bad. Would you consider using a nickname, or your middle name in place of your first?
No. For better or worse, this is the name I was given, I like it, and I've spent almost sixty years with it. That being said, when I must give a name for delivery or pick-up, I almost always give my last name, which is a very common, female, first name in America, so it doesn't raise anyone's eyebrow.

Old 04-07-2022, 04:58 PM

14,339 posts, read 11,733,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
It's far more common that educated parents (subconsciously) telegraph political leanings. Liberals go for softer sounds and/or obscure but existing names. Conservatives are more likely to go for harder consonants.
That would be interesting to research. There has definitely been a shift in the preferred sounds of both male and female names. Names with several hard consonants used to be more popular, as in Richard, Christopher, Frank, Patrick, Nicholas, and girl's names like Barbara, Patricia, Margaret, Rebecca.

Many of the popular names these days sound so soft you'd think they would blow away: Liam, Noah, Ethan, Mia, Ava, Leah. But they're popular across the board--I know very conservative parents who have used all of those names.

Old 04-07-2022, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I think of the song for Sue, but wouldn't think anything of Percy or Quincy. I went to a Catholic HS and there was more than one male Kelly (Irish) and no one thought anything of it.

Yes to the latter, no to the former. Its hard to signify high status with a first name. It's much easier not to signal low socioeconomic status. The wealthiest man I personally met (I worked at a Country Club) was the grandson of the founder of a brand we all have in our kitchens. He went to Princeton, then Yale for law school, was a US Ambassador, was on the board of directors at various times for John Deere, United Airlines, etc...

His first name was Robert. His kids, grandkids, their spouses, had similar names. Douglas, Alexander, David, James, Anne, Mary, Carolynn, Dianne. All names that wouldn't be out of place in most prep schools, or most public schools either.

I've known a few Forrests both personally and as public figures. Forrest Tucker, the bank robber, died in 2004 or so at 83. Forrest Gump.

And a tree name. I had a childhood friend with it as a surname.
Hmmm. Interesting. I am well-educated, politically unaffiliated, and live in a fairly conservative area. I have one child whose name is uncommon and starts with a hard consonant. My other child's name is extremely traditional and starts with a soft consonant. I must confuse people intent on pigeon-holing me based on political leanings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology