Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 01:10 PM

36 posts, read 27,141 times

Advertisements

Such interesting comments, thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2022, 01:56 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
Or some people with negative childhood experiences learn what not to do and lead totally different lives as adults, and relish the difference.

My parents split when I was five after I stopped my father from continuing to beat my mother, who was lying in a pool of her own blood in the hallway of the projects we lived in, by hitting him in the head with with my tennis racket. My father was a product of the depression and a WWII combat vet. My mother had PTSD from WWII in Europe and I had two nut job step fathers that only lasted a couple of years each. There was always violence in my mother's marriages. We moved around a lot. From kindergarten through high school graduation I was enrolled in 10 different schools in 8 different cities from coast to coast. We were dirt poor, living in one bedroom and studio apartments. We never had a car until I got my license at 16, and bought an 8 year old Ford from my uncle.

So I worked my way through college. It was the 60's and I had my share of sex, drugs, alcohol, and rock and roll. I knew how to have a good time. I fell in love at 25, got married a year and three months later and we are still together 50 years later with kids, grandkids, having spent our working years living in Brooklyn and Staten Island and retired to a nice house in NJ, all within an hour's drive away from each other for the past 50 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I think it mostly goes back to how one was raised, and the example of their parents, as well as people and influences around as one "grows up". I always had very positive and productive influences, and believe I've continued those throughout life. They've kept me moving forward, and out of emotional "ditches".

If you are used to healthy influences, you tend to automatically reject negative influences. On the other hand, persons used to negative and dysfunctional influences seem to continue with them since they are so familiar.

Last edited by bobspez; 04-12-2022 at 02:05 PM..

Old 04-12-2022, 03:31 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,139,106 times
IMO, regrets aren't a waste of time IF:

1. You learn from them. My goal is to not repeat the action that caused regret.
2. You can make amends to those who you might need to make amends.

I have regrets...but I don't dwell on them too much. I'm thankful that I'm not wired that way. My biggest regret is giving a child up for adoption...not the actual adoption...it was the right thing to do, but it's real hard giving up a child, and I regret hurting the people I hurt...and there were plenty.

Old 04-12-2022, 03:40 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
IMO, regrets aren't a waste of time IF:

1. You learn from them. My goal is to not repeat the action that caused regret.
2. You can make amends to those who you might need to make amends.

I have regrets...but I don't dwell on them too much. I'm thankful that I'm not wired that way. My biggest regret is giving a child up for adoption...not the actual adoption...it was the right thing to do, but it's real hard giving up a child, and I regret hurting the people I hurt...and there were plenty.
My only regrets are that I should have treated a few people better than I did. Most often there is no way to make amends except by trying not to repeat the same mistakes with someone else. But every road you take makes you what you are, so maybe the lessons you learn benefit someone else.

Old 04-12-2022, 06:16 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Isn't one's temperament almost entirely inborn and evident almost from birth? I thought we discovered that decades ago, or at least I remember learning it in school. Some just naturally have a sunnier more optimistic personality, resilience, and enthusiasm for life...

Old 04-12-2022, 07:38 PM

1,250 posts, read 677,649 times
I think it's totally nature.

Each person is born with a certain temperament and nervous system. Some people are more sensitive than others. There are many other possible variables, but I think it's 95% nature.

Old 04-12-2022, 07:44 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Isn't one's temperament almost entirely inborn and evident almost from birth? I thought we discovered that decades ago, or at least I remember learning it in school. Some just naturally have a sunnier more optimistic personality, resilience, and enthusiasm for life...
Here we go: The neverending nature/nurture thing...I firmly believe (and personally experienced) good parenting and an upbringing that modeled resiliency, confidence, and realistic optimism. It can certainly influence those natural inclinations. Just because you're born being one way doesn't mean you can't learn to compensate for it to some degree. So much of how we face our lives is learned behavior, not innate.

Old 04-12-2022, 07:55 PM

No one is saying you can't deliberately, with great effort, go AGAINST nature, if you so choose, but it's nature, nonetheless.

Old 04-12-2022, 08:11 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
I am somewhere in between. I can move forward because there is only so much information I can keep in my head. When by myself, I may think about my past and miss it; it made me who I am today. When with others, I am careful not to repeat a feeling or event - most people already know these things about me.

My strategies are pretty solid; it took years to develop them. But I know not everyone will have reliable "how-to" strategies. Therefore, I like being patient with loved ones who have a hard time letting go.

Old 04-12-2022, 09:13 PM

So, that being the case, I feel that the naturally cheerful get undeserved credit for their constitutions, being widely admired, whereas the naturally morose are generally blamed and condemned for theirs, as well as shunned for being "negative people" since society has become so enamored of positive thinking and nearly phobic about so-called "negative" (what I call realistic) thinking. Now we're expected to "learn" how to think differently than we naturally think and react differently than we naturally react to conform and are judged harshly if we don't.

But that's more a contemporary and cultural bias. I know there was a time and am sure there are still places where serious, thoughtful, even somber personalities are valued.

I, for one, have overcome and bounced back from a lot in my life, which was more of a challenge for me than other temperaments, but do feel I've hit a wall, as I can't seem to muster a lot of enthusiasm "moving forward." Whether it's age, menopause, dysthymia, world weariness, or a combination I do feel stymied by disappointments and regrets and believe my best years are behind me. That's probably an accurate assessment, as I'm nothing if not pragmatic!

If you're referring to "letting go" as in forgiving others, if that's what's holding someone back, I DO feel that's a choice and a gift you give yourself.

Last edited by otterhere; 04-12-2022 at 10:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology