Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 02:38 PM

1,088 posts, read 577,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
I am sure I’m not the only one who sometimes has nightmares about school. Somehow I’ve completely forgotten about a classes or even a couple of classes and now it’s half-way through the semester!
I've had this dream a bunch of times. Had no idea it was so common.

I also dream frequently that I'm at some sort of class reunion. No idea why.

My most common dream, sometimes school-related and sometimes not, is that I'm desperately trying to get somewhere and can't seem to reach my destination no matter what I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2022, 04:04 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,689 times
I still get them too!

Old 04-25-2022, 04:39 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,663,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
I've had this dream a bunch of times. Had no idea it was so common.

I also dream frequently that I'm at some sort of class reunion. No idea why.

My most common dream, sometimes school-related and sometimes not, is that I'm desperately trying to get somewhere and can't seem to reach my destination no matter what I do.
Yes, I have the missing destination dream too. Sometimes it’s at school. Sometimes it’s at work. Sometimes I’m traveling (and have obviously lost my luggage, shoes, and passport/ID/phone along the way).

I never dream about class reunions, but I have dreams about forgetting my locker combinations, never attending class, not studying for exams, or forgetting to prep for a paper until the day it is due. My job is quota/production based, so I think these are all likely about being anxious about meeting the month’s goals. Lately we’ve had particularly awful assignments, so usually I’m anxious about the end of the month. This month will be no exception.

Old 04-25-2022, 05:30 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,965,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Yes, I have the missing destination dream too. Sometimes it’s at school. Sometimes it’s at work. Sometimes I’m traveling (and have obviously lost my luggage, shoes, and passport/ID/phone along the way).
Oh yeah, the "I'm at the airport for an international trip and I forgot my passport" dream... I forgot about that one. And of course, I never have time to go home and get it (or would be cutting it very, very close).

Old 04-25-2022, 06:04 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,256,865 times
I have gotten the "College Dream" for over 30 years now. Walking into the finals of a high-credit hour class (Finite Math, Organic Chem) and remembering how I forgot to drop the class.
Not to hijack the thread but another recurring dream is I'm out past my curfew (1am) and am afraid of waking my parents or scared to drive or ?? This was reality I was quite the adventurous one in my youth.

Old 04-25-2022, 06:32 PM

42 posts, read 19,421 times
I've had the same dream so many times it's gotten tiresome: tomorrow is the last day of the semester and I've completely forgotten to prepare a presentation. I'm scrambling to think of a topic
to write on, then resigning myself to taking an Incomplete, etc...

Old 04-25-2022, 08:03 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,603,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Yep, I have had the same dream for the majority of my life where I am back in high school and I can't find my classes, forget my locker combination, or am lost in the hallway. I have that dream at least once a month. Like a previous poster, I also have the dream where at my current age (51), I have to go back to school or basic training to "finish it". I actually have been meaning to bring that up to my counselor.
I have this one too, fairly regularly (maybe every other month, I'm not sure). It's such a relief to wake up and realize that, yes, I actually did graduate from high school, so I don't need to worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Bingo.

When I have this sort of dream, my particular anxiety comes from the fact sometimes that I realize I came to school wearing only my underwear, and then of course I get called to the front of the class to write something on the board!
I'm always in my pajamas. And it's always because I started out much earlier in the morning, when apparently it's acceptable to wear pajamas in public, but then it's gotten later in the day, and somehow everyone else has managed to change into clothes, but I'm still in my pajamas.

Old 04-27-2022, 04:04 AM

3,052 posts, read 2,922,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
I am sure I’m not the only one who sometimes has nightmares about school. Somehow I’ve completely forgotten about a classes or even a couple of classes and now it’s half-way through the semester! I am afraid to talk to anyone about it! I just don’t know what to do!

The weird thing is that I actually did well in school and mostly enjoyed it, but still I get these nightmares. Just last night I had one that involved a grad school prof and of course me not having shown up for class and having not turned in assignments.
Oh, wow! I have very similar dreams and wondered why I will often have them. I've heard most people have dreams/nightmare (something going wrong) about work. I hardly ever dream about that. It's also for me that I've forgotten about a class and its a long way into the semester, that I haven't done any of the assignments. Often I'll dream that I'm trying to find a class and get there late or something. And usually I'm about to fail the class. And I'll always remember that I have my pharmacy degree so I know I don't actually need the class for anything, that I must be taking it voluntarily so it doesn't really bother me that I'm going to fail it. I just feel like bad for not being there for like most of the semester and not doing any of the papers and stuff. One development of the dreams will be that I'm going to the registrar's office (which is always located inside the school building like a high school) to talk with them about dropping out of the class.

I've always done well in school too (and enjoyed much of it--undergrad way more than my doctorate program). I went from college with an undergrad to a doctorate program in Pharmacy. I've always been stumped as to why my mind will turn to this kind of topic and it's progression. And I had a great childhood while growing up (not perfect like my mom's, my dad had a temper, but it was far from some of the horrible stories I've read about here).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
From what little I've read about this, school/classwork related nightmares are one of the most common dreams.
I didn't know that though that would certainly make sense for someone who is in school; but even for people who haven't been to school for many years? I figure once you enter the workforce you'll have work-related dreams more commonly. I had thought that the school dreams would have dropped off by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post

Maybe experiences in our formative years are more likely to stick around in our brains?
That's a good theory!

Gosh, after reading through the thread I would never have thought this was so common! I would wake up from these dreams stumped as to why in the world am I dreaming about this when it's been so long since I've been in school?? (I prefer the other re-occurring dreams that I often have where I'm walking or driving around an unknown city).

Last edited by Basiliximab; 04-27-2022 at 04:31 AM..

Old 04-27-2022, 09:02 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,711,653 times
I asked my daughter and her fiancé about this last night. She graduated from college, he didn't. They both have these dreams, and for her it always takes place at college and for him it's high school.

Old 04-27-2022, 08:12 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,402,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post

*I know people who will be like, "and last night I dreamed I was a hero flying on a dragon and this super-hot person was in love with me and we saved the world!" and I'll be like, "I was on the set of The Wizard of Oz with two coworkers, one of whom was dressed like Rocky Horror, and we were making souffles with golf balls baked into them, and then suddenly we were at a mall in the middle of nowhere in Nigeria but it was a really posh mall that had ponies, and were trying to convince Yoda to sing karaoke with us, and the rest I can't even tell you because it doesn't make enough sense to describe but I think there was something to do with gladiators who manufactured ocarinas out of cheese or something and I think I remember wondering why they were so expensive because it wasn't even fancy cheese but, like Velveeta."
Exactly! A lot of my dreams are just sheer nonsense. I actually still recall parts of some of them, so vivid was the nonsense: A bunch of knights in full armor were all fighting each other to see who could make me the best strawberry-lentil casserole. Another dream featured a line of alligators walking in a line up from the bayou to get fed in a fish camp. I was afraid seeing all those gators, but then noticed that they were all shrink wrapped, so no problem!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology