Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 02:24 PM

700 posts, read 452,363 times

Advertisements

I thought you didn't watch tv?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2022, 03:09 PM

23,649 posts, read 14,161,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westminster88 View Post
I thought you didn't watch tv?
I don't watch TV as it is popularly known (no cable, streaming, broadcast) but I have a very full video, mostly DVDs, library. To name just a few, The Avengers, The New Avengers, Barney Miller, Love Boat, Frasier, Maude, That Girl, Dark Matter, Kill Joys, Defiance, Expanse, Star Trek from TOS through Voyager (but not TAS), The Saint, Buffy, Angel, Charmed, Primeval, Bitten, Twilight Zone (3 versions), Night Gallery, Melrose Place, Party of Five, Brit Mysteries, Xena, Hercules, Wonder Woman.........etc, etc, etc..

Old 04-28-2022, 05:12 PM

17,574 posts, read 22,355,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I mostly like true crime shows, so yes. If I see a young woman park next to a van, I want to run up and tell her to find a different spot.

If I pass a garbage bag by the side of the road, I wonder exactly what body parts are inside.

If I see somebody buy a shovel at the garden center, I'm certain they are about to bury their spouse.

I think those shows glamorize crime and gives people bad ideas. Sure in the shows everyone gets caught but that guy who is pissed off at his ex-girlfriend thinks he will out smart the cops by wearing gloves and a hair net.

Dexter is terrible. CSI gives the blood splatter type details the average person never once considered.

Old 04-28-2022, 05:40 PM

23,649 posts, read 14,161,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I think those shows glamorize crime and gives people bad ideas. Sure in the shows everyone gets caught but that guy who is pissed off at his ex-girlfriend thinks he will out smart the cops by wearing gloves and a hair net.

Dexter is terrible. CSI gives the blood splatter type details the average person never once considered.
Never seen Dexter for probably 3 main reasons. First of all, the concept glamorizes crime and I was raised not to watch shows that do so......makes it curious when my Mother got into Weeds in her last years, though.

Secondly, the concept of a serial killer who kills only for good...............is beyond belief to me, both as a controlled concept, the lack of acceleration in the cycle of violence (incident, reconciliation, calm, tension building), and the ultimate remorse when a mistake is made.

Third, as previously stated, dwelling on such concepts to me is mind pollution. I do not dwell on how certain people should die although, granted, I do know how the mechanism of death works in so many cases, but that is rather work for me.

WHICH may be a psychological point of things. Mom stopped watching medical shows when Dad had brain cancer and eventually ended up in a nursing home. Such shows were no longer fun to watch for they were touching too close to reality.

Old 04-28-2022, 06:19 PM

1,923 posts, read 886,192 times
i pretty much stop watching tv when everything went gay, interracial, racist. all the commerical, tv shows, reality shows, that was the draw, clink

i want to live in the andy griffen, brady bunch days. its bad enough out there in the real world, why do i have to be reminded at home

Old 04-28-2022, 06:27 PM

1,923 posts, read 886,192 times
when the actor actress start getting political, that it never again. I not paying movie ticket to listen to you beech

Old 04-29-2022, 07:01 AM

17,574 posts, read 22,355,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
i pretty much stop watching tv when everything went gay, interracial, racist. all the commerical, tv shows, reality shows, that was the draw, clink

i want to live in the andy griffen, brady bunch days. its bad enough out there in the real world, why do i have to be reminded at home
to me the commercials are most annoying.........they are trying to include everyone to the point the combinations make no sense!

Asian wife, black husband drinking red wine on their white couch when there is a spill......

Black neighbors discussing their insurance with the dopey white guy.........

Neither of those situations are realistic. Why couldn't the first couple be eating pizza or chicken wings? Who discusses insurance with their neighbors?

This is reality based commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0HX4a5P8eE

Old 04-29-2022, 07:39 AM

13 posts, read 9,334 times
TV influenced me at a young age, the coyote taught me to never buy products from the ACME Company. I buy from DoorDash when hungry rather than a chase a skinny roadrunner on rocket powered rollers skates.

Old 04-29-2022, 08:56 AM

20,457 posts, read 14,818,651 times
Don't even know what to say about those who only want all of TV to reflect their 1950s whitebread safe space where people of different races don't even talk to each other and gays are all in the closet and never seen nor heard about. Criminy.

But the Loony Tunes reference reminded me of something. In 2020, when I was still trying to get my head around living under pandemic conditions, and news broke about George Floyd and... Honestly stuff got overwhelming. Just a lot, in a lot of ways. And one night I asked my husband, could we just watch some Loony Tunes cartoons from the 80s that evening.

Just the theme song pushed a button in my brain that felt like "simpler times in my life" and eased my stress feelings for a couple hours. Which is kind of odd, since my childhood was hardly idyllic.

Like I get the impulse to escape to some feeling from one's own past. But I'm hardly gonna kvetch about there being too much on TV that doesn't appeal to me. Especially the way I now watch. I got Roku devices, and if I hear about a show I want to watch I'll sign up for a streaming service temporarily to check it out, but I keep my costs low (about $40/month tops) because you can switch them on and off and only pay for services that currently have stuff you want to watch.

I got fed up with paying for cable, since it's so expensive and I'm paying for lots of channels I'll never care about and a few that I'm actually opposed to supporting.

Old 04-29-2022, 09:22 AM

700 posts, read 452,363 times
Quote:

Apparently you don't know those were fake TV environments too?

There are plenty of services/channels for you to watch that sort of stuff and Hee Haw and whatnot--Roku live and Pluto for instance.

Quote:
when the actor actress start getting political, that it never again. I not paying movie ticket to listen to you beech
OK but I bet they use better grammar than you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology