Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 07:15 AM

408 posts, read 290,711 times

Advertisements

I grew up with this being the World War veterans and their brave stories the retirees around Sunday dinners , and 60s generation the mighty adults, but time flies now those people are dead and buried and now the beds with incontinent bathing tube feeding and TV on all days and night and soon to be hospice care = Huey Lewis the News, Sting, Paul McCartney , Blondie

Soon it will be me. How do I stop time. Life flashing before my eyes and now I’m old and wasted my potential
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2022, 09:55 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Just enjoy today. Believe me, death and disability can happen in the blink of an eye, whether or not you are famous.

Old 04-28-2022, 11:10 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
I grew up with this being the World War veterans and their brave stories the retirees around Sunday dinners , and 60s generation the mighty adults, but time flies now those people are dead and buried and now the beds with incontinent bathing tube feeding and TV on all days and night and soon to be hospice care = Huey Lewis the News, Sting, Paul McCartney , Blondie

Soon it will be me. How do I stop time. Life flashing before my eyes and now I’m old and wasted my potential
The advice I took to heart from an elder when I worked in a nursing home was “make memories” because that’s what you’ll have left. So I view each day as a gift and to enjoy it as much as possible and make memories even with the mundane. One day I won’t be able to hike a trail but I can sure enjoy the memories of it, the rattle snakes, the desert foxes playing, the magnificent scenery.

Live your life, cherish it, celebrate it, find ways to enjoy it. You are the author of your own story, make it count.

Old 04-28-2022, 11:59 AM

700 posts, read 446,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Just enjoy today. Believe me, death and disability can happen in the blink of an eye, whether or not you are famous.
Agreed!
And it can happen at any age. We're promised nothing.

Old 04-28-2022, 12:35 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
McCartney is a 60s icon. He's 80 now and about to start another tour. Sting, I believe, just turned 70. I believe Bondie is older than him. I get what you're saying. I grew up with Phil Collins on the radio every other song. Now he can barely walk, can't play drums anymore and probably just finished his last ever tour. (In a chair, nonetheless.) Bono is younger, but his voice is gone and he looks older than early 60s. Tom Petty is dead. Which is ironic because the music he was making in his 50s and 60s was some of his best work of his career, IMO. Heartbreakers guitarist Mike Campbell and his new band just released a new album and Campbell is 70+

Like MightyQueen said, paraphrased, enjoy today because tomorrow is not certain.

Old 04-28-2022, 02:11 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Like MightyQueen said, paraphrased, enjoy today because tomorrow is not certain.
and, don't forget to eat dessert first!

Look OP, time flows one way. It isn't going to stop for you or anyone else. There are a lot of everyday things in this world you can choose to be depressed about. You've probably heard the saying: "If you find yourself stuck in a hole, stop digging!" Stop wasting the time you do have. Last time I checked, aging wasn't restricted to people who became famous in the 80s. Think about all the famous names from the 20s, 30s, even 40s. They're dead. The upside is their everyday troubles are over.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-28-2022 at 02:25 PM..

Old 04-28-2022, 02:30 PM

700 posts, read 446,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
How old are you, exactly?

Old 04-28-2022, 03:48 PM

8,053 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Hey you guys. Blondie is the band. Deborah Harry is the lead singer.

I can remember when I became older than the oldest MLB player (after Julio Franco retired in 2007). A year later I was older than the President of the United States (not currently though). Just stuff that makes you go Hmmm...

For the celebrities of yesteryear who are now facing nursing homes: At least they avoided the 27 Club.

Old 04-28-2022, 05:15 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Imagine being sent off to a nursing home only to find out Diamond David Lee Roth is in the bed next to you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y83Nd2QiycI

Old 04-28-2022, 05:20 PM

14,955 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Better living through chemistry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology