Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2022, 11:41 AM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's the thing, though. You don't know how people would have treated if you were, say, 6 inches shorter, and how that would affect how you thought of yourself and how you moved through the world.
True, but I’m not declaring it wouldn’t have affected me in the least. I’m simply stating there’s (far) more to my psychological health i.e. self-esteem and confidence than the fact I’m tall, lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2022, 11:44 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,347,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's the thing, though. You don't know how people would have treated if you were, say, 6 inches shorter, and how that would affect how you thought of yourself and how you moved through the world.
I think it would have mattered. I'm 6-1. That's a good height for a man in most contexts where height matters. I don't think anything was ever handed to me because of my height, but I suspect it helped or didn't hurt in a variety of contexts.

Had I been 5-7 it's likely some things would have been harder. Perhaps impossible, but most likely just more challenging, requiring more effort or time. That has to get frustrating.

Old 05-14-2022, 12:09 PM

176 posts, read 72,970 times
I think in terms of the dating scene it’s beyond just attraction I think it’s also a status thing.

I think a women feels validated if she’s dating a guy over 6 feet it makes her worth go up in her mind because she’s with a desirable guy.

I don’t believe that as we were saying before if a man went from 5’8 to 5’10 he’d all of a sudden be attractive physically to someone but the same guy at 5’8 hed be totally unattractive to the same women because of 2 less inches.

I think it’s more along the lines of at 5’8 the women’s thinking are my friends gonna mock me for being with a short guy? Am I undesirable if I’m with a short guy? I might be taller then him in heels etc

Obviously physical attraction plays a big part. there are women who find short guys unappealing but a lot of times when the height thing with women is such a rigid or specific height that they’ll never go under it’s more of a status thing rather then if the guy was an inch or two less off the ground then preferred height he all of a sudden is unattractive physically to that person.

Just my two cents

Last edited by MikeMo; 05-14-2022 at 12:18 PM..

Old 05-14-2022, 12:16 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMo View Post
I think in terms of the dating scene it’s beyond just attraction I think it’s also a status thing.

I think a women feels validated if she’s dating a guy over 6 feet it makes her worth go up in her mind because she’s with a desirable guy.

I don’t believe that as we were saying before if a man went from 5’8 to 5’10 he’d all of a sudden be attractive physically to someone but the same guy at 5’8 hed be totally unattractive to the same women because of 2 less inches.

I think it’s more along the lines of at 5’8 the women’s thinking are my friends gonna mock me for being with a short guy? Am I undesirable if I’m with a short guy? I might be taller then him in heels etc

Obviously physical attraction plays a big part. there are women who find short guys unappealing but a lot of times when the height thing with women is such a rigid or specific height or number that they’ll never go under it’s more of a status thing rather then if the guy was an inch or two less off the ground then preferred height he all of a sudden is unattractive physically to that person.

Just my two cents
6 feet plus only need to apply? Please find a rock. Thank you.

At 5'11 I am the shortest in the family. No way to borrow cloths SO claims he is 5'8. Sure in Western heels. Like a UPS package he uses overall dimension:>) So what - I love heels and it does not matter.

Old 05-14-2022, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
Maybe the ladies here can speak on this but I can’t imagine just being tall automatically makes a guy physically attractive even if he’s average or unattractive facially. Maybe a small percentage id imagine are so hung up on height that being tall is all they need to feel attraction
A tall guy cannot be physically unattractive because height is that much of a turn on.

His height gets women’s juices flowing even if he’s not classically handsome.

Old 05-15-2022, 02:23 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,100,875 times
Quote:
A tall guy cannot be physically unattractive because height is that much of a turn on.

His height gets women’s juices flowing even if he’s not classically handsome.
lol! Once again I can’t speak for women they have to chime in here but I seriously doubt that’s accurate.

Old 05-16-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
lol! Once again I can’t speak for women they have to chime in here but I seriously doubt that’s accurate.
The fact that they haven’t refuted my point kinda tells you all you need to know lol.

They may not come out and day it because they don’t rent to admit the power tall men have over them lol.

Old 05-18-2022, 11:41 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
The fact that they haven’t refuted my point kinda tells you all you need to know lol.

They may not come out and day it because they don’t rent to admit the power tall men have over them lol.
Ridiculous. I never cared about height nor did my friends. Maybe this is something new, but if it supposed to be part of some evolutionary theory, it's bs.

Old 05-19-2022, 11:15 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Ridiculous. I never cared about height nor did my friends. Maybe this is something new, but if it supposed to be part of some evolutionary theory, it's bs.
Right, you might see a tall guy and think, "wow, that guy's tall!" but that doesn't mean anything as to whether or not you'd date him. It's no different than how many men would notice a woman with big boobs or a nice butt. It's something you can see without interacting with someone, and it's the interacting with someone that's more important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology