Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 03:25 PM

13,723 posts, read 12,493,674 times

Advertisements

I didn't know what to title the thread, so bear with me. My examples are largely USA-centric because I'm in and from the US.

Is there a term for those that automatically elevate as superior what's done elsewhere? Or compare our own customs/public policy/standards as inferior to (XYZ Foreign country?)

One example: The boorish/ugly/poorly behaved American. I'm not saying we're immune. But from what I've seen Americans are on par or better than most other westerners.

A friend of mine insisted that chopsticks were better than western utensils for noodles. Well, not really. I can use chopsticks handily. They're worse for almost everything except sushi.

Different example: someone was talking about how houses are constructed in Europe being better. Objectively I would disagree and point out that while our SFH construction methods has drawbacks, it has benefits, same as in Europe. And Same as most places, our construction methods reflect resources available locally; its why a house in Arizona is likely to have a clay tile roof and one in Pennsylvania isn't.

For the purposes of this, I intentionally left out politically loaded subjects or those where there's a lot of room for debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2022, 04:27 PM

16,139 posts, read 10,818,747 times
xen·o·phile /ˈzenəfīl/

an individual who is attracted to foreign peoples, manners, or cultures.

Old 05-19-2022, 05:22 PM

700 posts, read 449,480 times
City Data Forums

Old 05-19-2022, 08:23 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,272,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
xen·o·phile /ˈzenəfīl/

The flip side is oikophobia, self-fear.

Old 05-19-2022, 09:12 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,479,205 times
Finding value in other cultures does not mean you are dismissing your own. Some Americans can't/won't accept that there's room for everyone.

Old 05-19-2022, 09:15 PM

16,587 posts, read 10,701,397 times
Apparently, Australians and some others call it "cultural cringe."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_cringe

Old 05-20-2022, 10:26 AM

20,771 posts, read 20,032,722 times
I am not sure exactly what the question here is.

As an Americanized German, I see all the differences.

Yes, Germans laugh about how the standard American houses are built despite having earthquakes/hurricanes/tornadoes, where you can punch a hole in the wall with a fist - try that in an European house and you'll break your arm.

Houses in Europe take a long time to be built because it is solid mortar and brick, they aren't just built in a few months. I remember my friend coming over to visit, we drove by a construction site and she said "wow, the houses are built of the same cheap material as my terrarium for my snake." European houses are better insulated and supposed to last for hundreds of years.

https://forstconsultingllc.com/blog/...-construction/

I see many foreigners come here (I am guilty of this, too), claiming everything in their country is "better." I think it is called "ethnocentrism."

Ethnocentrism is a term applied to the cultural or ethnic bias—whether conscious or unconscious—in which an individual views the world from the perspective of his or her own group, establishing the in-group as archetypal and rating all other groups with reference to this ideal. This form of tunnel vision often results in: (1) an inability to adequately understand cultures that are different from one’s own and (2) value judgments that preference the in-group and assert its inherent superiority, thus linking the concept of ethnocentrism to multiple forms of chauvinism and prejudice, including nationalism, tribalism, racism, and even sexism and disability discrimination.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:10 PM

9,209 posts, read 6,286,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

Yes, Germans laugh about how the standard American houses are built despite having earthquakes/hurricanes/tornadoes, where you can punch a hole in the wall with a fist - try that in an European house and you'll break your arm.

Houses in Europe take a long time to be built because it is solid mortar and brick, they aren't just built in a few months. I remember my friend coming over to visit, we drove by a construction site and she said "wow, the houses are built of the same cheap material as my terrarium for my snake." European houses are better insulated and supposed to last for hundreds of years.

https://forstconsultingllc.com/blog/...-construction/[/i]

Well, it's very difficult to add central air conditioning to a solid mortar and brick house. It's also difficult to remove walls to create open floor plans. It's not easy to create spaces for built in dishwashers, double ovens, and refrigerators with non-movable walls. And I want to upgrade and re-wire my electricity to accommodate all my new appliances. And I need new pipes for my steam shower.

These are all common in many US houses.

Houses aren't expected to last hundreds of years in the US. Most people want new appliances and new construction.

And people in the US move often. This is a little outdated now, but still relevant.

"Using 2007 ACS data, it is estimated that a person in the United States can expect to move 11.7 times in their lifetime based upon the current age structure and average rates and allowing for no more than one move per single year. "

https://www.census.gov/topics/popula...0single%20year.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:17 PM

13,723 posts, read 12,493,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
xen·o·phile /ˈzenəfīl/

^^Thanks^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Finding value in other cultures does not mean you are dismissing your own. Some Americans can't/won't accept that there's room for everyone.
Those aren't the ones I'm talking about. I'm talking about Americans (in this case) that default to the opposite; that "we" are inherently worse, or alternatively explaining away bad behavior of other cultures using culture as its own justification.
Quote:
Basically, what's the opposite of ethnocenrism. Xenophilia might be it.

Quote:

https://forstconsultingllc.com/blog/...-construction/

I see many foreigners come here (I am guilty of this, too), claiming everything in their country is "better." I think it is called "ethnocentrism."

Ethnocentrism is a term applied to the cultural or ethnic bias—whether conscious or unconscious—in which an individual views the world from the perspective of his or her own group, establishing the in-group as archetypal and rating all other groups with reference to this ideal. This form of tunnel vision often results in: (1) an inability to adequately understand cultures that are different from one’s own and (2) value judgments that preference the in-group and assert its inherent superiority, thus linking the concept of ethnocentrism to multiple forms of chauvinism and prejudice, including nationalism, tribalism, racism, and even sexism and disability discrimination.
Eh, Germans seem to be pretty balanced on the whole. The handful I've known that live here now have valid comparisons between the two. Two of them have commented on our relative freedom from regulation in terms of odd things that I'd never imagine would be regulated, not hot button things either. One of them was a windsurfer; he said in Germany you'd have to take a class and get licensed to windsurf. I thought that was the most "German" thing I'd ever heard of.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:20 PM

20,771 posts, read 20,032,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Well, it's very difficult to add central air conditioning to a solid mortar and brick house. It's also difficult to remove walls to create open floor plans. It's not easy to create spaces for built in dishwashers, double ovens, and refrigerators with non-movable walls. And I want to upgrade and re-wire my electricity to accommodate all my new appliances. And I need new pipes for my steam shower.

These are all common in many US houses.

Houses aren't expected to last hundreds of years in the US. Most people want new appliances and new construction.

And people in the US move often. This is a little outdated now, but still relevant.

"Using 2007 ACS data, it is estimated that a person in the United States can expect to move 11.7 times in their lifetime based upon the current age structure and average rates and allowing for no more than one move per single year. "

https://www.census.gov/topics/popula...0single%20year.
I don't know but in Germany, you take your kitchens with you, when you move. And they buy new appliances and kitchens every 10 years or so. You won't find many outdated kitchens in Europe - they aren't $30k like they are here. They are about $5k if I remember correctly.

I don't want to get into a fight with you. I am just stating - I have never seen so many old, ugly kitchens as here. Because they are expensive to replace I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology