Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 08:23 AM

20,417 posts, read 14,701,959 times

Advertisements

There are a number of things that you COULD be referring to, that are actually very explainable...

Alcohol and drugs cause distorted perception of time. Cannabis in particular does this. Don't know if you partake, but if you do, I'm pointing DIRECTLY at weed as the source of this feeling you're trying to explain to us here.

But other than that, it sounds kind of ADHD/FOMO. ADHD everyone knows what that is, but it can cause anxiety because of the thing where people struggle to focus on tasks until there is tremendous last minute pressure, and then push themselves to the limits trying to cram too much work into too little time. Basically struggling to an extreme with time management and "executive function" (organizing your mental to do list and accomplishing tasks you need/want to accomplish) is hallmark ADHD. Then when you stack a hyperfixation episode on top somewhere, and you can lose hours or days on an obsession with something... All of this can leave a person feeling like the passage of time makes little sense and they are out of control with relation to it.

FOMO on the other hand is just "fear of missing out." So, perhaps you have some anxiety about the moments and days and years of your life passing and whether you are where you feel you should be, or whether you will accomplish anything that you feel you want or need to during your lifespan. And awareness of mortality is just a pesky thing that a human being needs to learn to live with. If it troubles you deeply enough, you might look to the balm that many have sought...religion. Personally, I prefer to just accept that my time here is limited, it is a gift and I hope to enjoy it as much as I can before it's over.

Finally, I don't know if or how you were affected by changes that happened due to Covid, but if, like me, you switched to working or going to school online, if you don't have a routine that takes you OUT of your house and into the world...that would be a huge, huge part of this time-confusion you are feeling. I went to work from home in March 2020 and it seemed like a dream come true, I never thought I'd be so lucky! But since then, I am not so sure. Because at this point, I don't leave the house so much and the days just blur together, yesterday was just like today which will be just like tomorrow. Nothing special about a weekend, either. I have been trying to do responsible things with my money, so I've really tightened the belt on my budget, and I don't want to go anywhere because I don't want to spend money on gas or anything else... So I just, very rarely leave my home. And it's feeling kind of suffocating and weird. But the longer I do it, the less I even feel like going out, going somewhere feels like a "hassle" in some kind of a way...

So yeah, becoming basically a shut-in can really mess with your brain, I think. And this way of life used to be rare and strange. Now tons of people are doing it in one way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2022, 12:43 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,724,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westminster88 View Post
Huh?

You're what, 19? Not really in a place to tell others what to do based on experience, plus this is the Psych forum and your posts are kinda all over the place/not really focused on a psych issue.

What is a "linear view on life" anyhow?
We assuming ages now? Cool

In basic english

Linear means "going forward" basically

The idea that things cannot come back, once that moment/opportunity/event is gone is ITS GONE yupee

Life is both cyclical and linear, of course I may not be able to experience going thru elementary school again, but I can sure as hell still revisit the old buildings if I wanted to

Maybe a stretched definition of "linear" but the idea is still correct

Old 06-20-2022, 08:49 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,755,090 times
The reason we have time is to keep everything from happening all at once.

Old 06-20-2022, 01:09 PM

5,663 posts, read 3,171,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
You ever just feel like time is slipping away, only one step closer til you die?

That's like an epitome of time anxiety.
Yes. Lots of times. But conversely, a lot of times, it seems like I'm waiting for time to pass to get to...I'm not sure what.

Like...as if I were still in school, and counting the days til summer...or being pregnant, and counting down the months til baby arrives.

But...I'm almost 65...I need to shake this "Next big thing" and live more in the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology