Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2022, 06:15 AM

10,218 posts, read 7,646,875 times

Advertisements

Doctors likely were referring to something medical. You being young means that you are likely healthy. Each decade comes with the beginnings of various health problems. The 30s decade is still a young one, in health terms. Unless he and drs were chatting about something else, or you were expressing a concern about heart rate or blood pressure. To which he responded that you're so young, you don't have to worry about those things unless it's genetic or you do things to your body that cause them....like drugs, smoking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2022, 07:26 AM

4,963 posts, read 2,742,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2017 View Post
How do you respond when a person say's, "you are so young" when you really are not? I am 35. Is it a compliment? I had this said to me two different times recently and decided to google it and I found very little information. I figured I'll post it here and see what happens.
35?...too young for what?...ED?...hell yeah you're too young for that...terminal cancer?...hell yeah you're too young for that...loss of confidence and feeling insecure about nothing?...no, you're not too young for that..

Old 06-26-2022, 07:34 AM

3,324 posts, read 1,807,270 times
I wish I was 35 again. There's a few things I'd do differently. In the grand scheme of things 35 is still "young". Realistically, you're still enjoying the first half of your life. Now stop worrying about such nonsense and go have some fun !

Old 06-26-2022, 02:39 PM

28,989 posts, read 30,414,087 times
Quote:
How do you respond when a person say's, "you are so young" when you really are not? I am 35. Is it a compliment? I had this said to me two different times recently and decided to google it and I found very little information. I figured I'll post it here and see what happens.
means most likely you were commenting on a life experience which seemed a tad off to the person you were discussing it with and instead of insulting you, they were saying, you have a whole lot to learn.

Old 06-27-2022, 10:35 AM

102,339 posts, read 108,588,979 times
Quote:
Two different doctors told me this.
That seems like an odd thing for doctors to say, unless you were complaining of aches and pains. In 5 years, you'll be middle-aged, which is not considered "so young!" 40 is "young" to a 70-year-old but I don't think that's relevant in this context.

Do you look younger than your age? Sometimes people will make comments like the doctors did, because of your appearance, even when they know your real age. The visual information they're taking in tends to have a stronger influence, than the cognitive info they have.

Old 06-27-2022, 10:39 AM

20,457 posts, read 14,818,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
means most likely you were commenting on a life experience which seemed a tad off to the person you were discussing it with and instead of insulting you, they were saying, you have a whole lot to learn.
That is certainly another possible interpretation.

I mean, when a friend was kvetching about another mutual friend's intensely melodramatic behavior, I've said in response, "Hey she's just really young, OK, cut her some slack" like...sometimes youth is passionate like that. I mean, I know I've mellowed with age and no longer have the energy to get my dander up about trivial stuff, right?

And in context with what a person has experienced by their mid-thirties, one can be more like a twenty-something, or if they've really been in the trenches solving adult problems, they can be like a much older soul. Though I must say, when I was in my mid thirties, I tried dating men my own age but they were "too young" for me. Just a matter of what stage we were at in life, the questions we had asked and answered, the hardships overcome and scars honorably earned. I encountered either guys who'd had it easy and seemed too green and untested, or those who'd had hard lives but who still had most of the same problems they'd had all along. Drugs, alcohol, job instability and such. Not a lot of those who could say, I have faced challenges, overcome them, and now I'm on top of my life. That's the kind of thing I think I needed.

But that isn't gonna be the perspective of a guy's doctors though.

Old 06-27-2022, 11:22 AM

102,339 posts, read 108,588,979 times
Well, the OP hasn't given us enough info about the context in which the comments were made, so we're left just guessing. Maybe the OP will be back with more info.

Old 06-27-2022, 01:04 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,127,887 times
Whenever I hear comments like that, it's usually from people who are 20-30 years older than me reminiscing about the ability to do this or that. Usually it's meant more as a compliment than an attack.

Old 06-27-2022, 02:31 PM

5,763 posts, read 3,260,128 times
Quote:
I did think 35 might still be young, but both doctors that told me this also look young. I was not sure if it was a compliment, it is not distressing me, it just happened recently at two different locations. Do I say thank you? In both situations when it took place I said nothing back, I was not sure how to respond to that statement.
"You have hardening of the arteries, and you'll likely need a stint. Pity...you're so young."

"I examined a patient in the old folks home. He's dying of multiple organ failure. But you're so young...you have lots of healthy years in front of you."

Like someone said...context.

Old 06-30-2022, 02:47 PM

30,438 posts, read 52,115,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
+1
As Freud famously said to a woman who wondered if her dreams about cigars were actually dreams about phallic issues, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar".

Yes, the OP is overthinking the situation.
I don't mean this in a bad way at ALL, but genuinely based on their posts here; OP, are you on the autism spectrum? The over-thinking, Googling something that's a common phrase (how would you even Google that?), etc, just seem like behaviors of someone who isn't neuro-typical.

And like the others said, it all depends on the context and who is saying that to you. I work around seniors at the library, who often refer to me as a "young lady" - and I'm going on 46. But then I'll help a teenager who calls me "ma'am," and clearly thinks I'm ancient. lol

The other day my chiropractor said "we have to take care of our bodies while we're young!" to which I replied "I'm not really that young, though. I'm 45." He was just like oh. So I'll take that to mean he thought I was younger (it's one of those drop-in places where he doesn't know me), and therefore as a compliment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology