Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2022, 09:09 AM

629 posts, read 419,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post

That's all that matter in this discussion. The safety and comfort of the OP.
Actually, if you look closely at the thread title, you'll see the thread also asks for reasoning why the parent will not alter their lifestyle to suit the aspiring beneficiary. And I believe "fitness for the intended purpose" might very well be a factor, given the range of afflictions cited.

Just as an abstract analogy, but if the beneficiary was prone to making bad decisions, then there might very well be legitimate reasons for the beneficiary to be less than 100% content, 100% of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2022, 09:13 AM

6,976 posts, read 4,993,605 times
Is there any reason to think that with whoever your Mom chooses to care for you, if she chooses anyone, that your sexuality needs to be a topic of conversation? Most of us are not going around discussing our sexual preferences with people. Our sex lives are private. Unless you are a television character. Then everything is exaggerated.

Old 07-15-2022, 09:14 AM

29,785 posts, read 34,590,200 times
Quote:
The OP has:

1. Stated he's uncomfortable with the people his mother "associates" with.

2. Stated that he's concerned he will suffer because of a potential guardian/caretaker's beliefs and therefore any possible bad and/or unfair treatment of him.

That's all that matter in this discussion. The safety and comfort of the OP. It would be terrible if a guardian were chosen who became abusive because of their beliefs. It happens all the time. Elder abuse, Special Needs abuse, etc.

People want to focus on the rights of the mother. Really now?? According to a lot of posters on this thread, the OP's concerns don't matter as much as the mother's wish to associate with people with whom the OP is uncomfortable and concerned about.
The OP has also stated that he's not receiving any kind of treatment or therapy or taking advantage of resources and social services for his mental health and neuroatypical needs. He's just been told that he's not street smart and that he should be quiet. Is the mom, as his guardian, truly advocating for her son in a way that could be helpful for both of them?

Old 07-15-2022, 10:00 AM

12,166 posts, read 8,552,809 times
Does today's generation understand that we can have relationships with people who have different values systems than we do? I don't think so. It turns groups into little echo chambers and stunts conversation of other perspectives.

I know not everyone is open-minded enough to be able to do this. But the attitude that if someone is my "enemy" then they must be the enemy of all my friends and family is a very narrow and disappointing road to walk. It's sure to lead to conflicts with those we care about if they don't do everything our way.

Old 07-15-2022, 10:10 AM

20,457 posts, read 14,818,651 times
Quote:
The OP has:

2. Stated that he's concerned he will suffer because of a potential guardian/caretaker's beliefs and therefore any possible bad and/or unfair treatment of him.

That's all that matter in this discussion. The safety and comfort of the OP. It would be terrible if a guardian were chosen who became abusive because of their beliefs. It happens all the time. Elder abuse, Special Needs abuse, etc.

People want to focus on the rights of the mother. Really now?? According to a lot of posters on this thread, the OP's concerns don't matter as much as the mother's wish to associate with people with whom the OP is uncomfortable and concerned about.
I disagree, I believe that the safety and comfort of all persons involved, not only the OP, are important.

Should his Mom be making the best decisions she can for his wellbeing, survival, safety, and indeed if possible, comfort?

Yes.

But that might not look like what we would prefer to think. And that's why I do say that his Mom has a place to stand in all of this, somewhere. As well as just some unfortunately harsh truths about the real world and real life. Like, y'know how those of us (I presume you are more socially liberal, as am I) sometimes say that the pro-life crowd are hypocritical because they don't exactly line up to personally adopt every unplanned baby they want to force to term? Well, let's ask ourselves, are all of us very tolerant liberal types lining up to be caregiver for a 40+ year old man with mental disabilities that we've never met? No? Why not?

We really cannot presume to what is AVAILABLE in terms of people that can be counted on to even give a damn enough to help. And as someone who has an adult kid who has issues and needs help, like...I've seen first hand how hard it can be. We had all these so called family friends, and his father who often talks about how much "honor and integrity" he's got and how being "there for his kids" is the only reason he's still alive and blah, blah, blah...but TALK IS CHEAP. When it's time to put up or shut up, suddenly no one has money, no one has time, no one wants to give a kid a couch to crash on, no one wants to be there. As for me, I was for years and I've given orders of magnitude more than anyone, and I still give what I can. But we all have limits, somewhere, somehow, to what we can do.

OP says he is bisexual. I am personally pansexual. But being bi, or pan, does not mean you must at all times be having relations with same sex partners, or partners of both or various sexes. It is quite possible for a person who is bi or pan, to find one partner and commit to them. My marriage is "straight passing." I don't feel any need to cheat or have sex with women just because I am sometimes attracted to them. So frankly, a bisexual person's sexuality and attraction to same sex people or whatever...does not HAVE to be anyone's business. And ordinarily, I'd be the last one to suggest to anybody that they ought to find a way to live comfortably in a closet, but if the alternative is that, say, no one will provide help with survival needs that you REQUIRE to stay alive...like food and shelter... Man, sorry, but a little bit of Maslow's pyramid needs to come into the picture here.

One's survival is somewhat more important than one's comfort.

And before anyone says it, yes, the obvious next thing is that some people who are not accepted in their identity, orientation, etc end up committing suicide. And that is a tragedy, for sure. But you know, sorry but there are some distinctions that, sooner or later, have got to be made. It might suck when family or close people do not accept and embrace us with love, sure. But if you have two parties who are making one another uncomfortable...at some point you have to ask, which of them is doing more aggressive or overt things to push the point of contention and try and force the other to bend? We all know that there are religious people who are very aggressive and in everyone's face trying to start crap and beat other people over the head with their beliefs. Most sane persons do not appreciate that behavior. And there are religious people who are more chill about it, who are true to what they believe, but accept that we each have the freedom to shape our own belief systems. Not everyone is, as someone I know likes to put it, "an a-hole for Jesus."

But y'know what? It is absolutely, 100%, the same frickin' thing when it comes to the LGBTQ+ stuff. We have every right to live, and I am thrilled we get to have our parades and activities...but it isn't right to beat other people over the head with it, if they are willing to live and let live, we need to do that, too. Or at some point, we become the worst of what has harmed us. We become as awful as the guy shouting about us going to hell, when we call someone a bigot over something like pronouns. Like no, maybe that person just isn't one's friend and doesn't have to be...doesn't mean they are ATTACKING anybody. As long as they "disapprove" peaceably and preferably quietly, we need to learn to let that crap GO.

But seriously at this point, all of this, and the specific concern the OP has...is looking like a much less disturbing element, and much less of an alarm bell, to me...than the thoughts I've got about this here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The OP has also stated that he's not receiving any kind of treatment or therapy or taking advantage of resources and social services for his mental health and neuroatypical needs. He's just been told that he's not street smart and that he should be quiet. Is the mom, as his guardian, truly advocating for her son in a way that could be helpful for both of them?
Yeah, I seriously wonder. These disorders should be treatable and better outcomes could be had with certain meds for several and maybe all of them. And "street smart?" That isn't something that anyone is born with. That is learned. I fear that OP's Mom has forced him into dependency and possibly (legitimately) gaslighted him into compliance...or something.
Like I don't know what is going on there, but...something ain't right. And it's not the OP's sexual orientation that is the real issue.

Like I'm also getting the sense that OP takes for granted (maybe) that SOMEONE will always be there to take care of him, and like, not only will he never have to worry about lifting a finger for his own support (Mom says he can't...have doctors said so?) but that there are some kind of variety of candidates to be his caregiver once she is gone, and she can pick and choose one who is compatible with his personality.

I really think that an outside perspective is needed. Not for the sake of this conversation, but for the sake of the OP and his future. Someone who can take stock of how disabled he is, whether any treatments could help, and what options realistically exist if not, for his future care.

Old 07-15-2022, 10:36 AM

22,125 posts, read 13,232,194 times
I think we're all putting way too much thought and energy into this.

OP, you can't choose your mother's friends.

End of story.

Old 07-15-2022, 10:45 AM

16,043 posts, read 6,417,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Does today's generation understand that we can have relationships with people who have different values systems than we do? I don't think so. It turns groups into little echo chambers and stunts conversation of other perspectives.

I know not everyone is open-minded enough to be able to do this. But the attitude that if someone is my "enemy" then they must be the enemy of all my friends and family is a very narrow and disappointing road to walk. It's sure to lead to conflicts with those we care about if they don't do everything our way.
I see it more as the younger people and people of minority groups are giving us information. I've had to clean up my act plenty and gotten schooled of some sexist attitudes I had. I am grateful for the people who have shared their perspectives with me so I can gain understanding and grow. I have the right to refuse change as well as I don't owe anyone anything. Does EVERY LGBT person see it the way the people who explained it to me, no. In fact I was a woman getting school (sometimes by men) on my warped opinions about a woman's role. I just don't want to be the person who punches down on anyone intentionally or not. I am willing to voluntary give up just a tiny bit of my autonomy to engage in pro social behavior.

Old 07-15-2022, 11:15 AM

221 posts, read 136,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Yeah, that God is the only one true judge screws a lot of us up. Easy to talk, near impossible to walk.
You got that right

Old 07-15-2022, 11:21 AM

Quote:
The OP has:

Good point. Hopefully they can come to a resolution. My schizophrenic BIL, after my FIL passed, wasn't treated well by the "paid" conservator then she passed away, thank goodness. I sure wish I had spoken up and offered to do it at that time. I think we all sometimes come from a place of experience, one sided experience.

They should be able to come to a happy. medium. Maybe Mom can find 2-3 people and he chooses one out of the three.

Old 07-15-2022, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Is there any reason to think that with whoever your Mom chooses to care for you, if she chooses anyone, that your sexuality needs to be a topic of conversation? Most of us are not going around discussing our sexual preferences with people. Our sex lives are private. Unless you are a television character. Then everything is exaggerated.
That's what I was thinking, when would it ever come up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology