Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2022, 01:13 PM

9,957 posts, read 7,860,980 times

Advertisements

OP is 44 and his mom is probably around my age. Seriously, back in the day we didn't talk about how to characterize yourself based on sex/gender, we just did life together. Yes, I had several dear friends die of AIDS, did they walk around proclaiming they were gay or bi or whatever, no, and no one cared one way or the other. Still loved them for the people they were, just not interested in their private lives. So maybe that "person" that doesn't support the OP just doesn't care about what types of people the OP is interested in.

OP, how many relationships have you had over the years? Any serious enough that you could get married?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2022, 02:49 PM

221 posts, read 136,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
OP is 44 and his mom is probably around my age. Seriously, back in the day we didn't talk about how to characterize yourself based on sex/gender, we just did life together. Yes, I had several dear friends die of AIDS, did they walk around proclaiming they were gay or bi or whatever, no, and no one cared one way or the other. Still loved them for the people they were, just not interested in their private lives. So maybe that "person" that doesn't support the OP just doesn't care about what types of people the OP is interested in.

OP, how many relationships have you had over the years? Any serious enough that you could get married?
This is key. If none, then it's a non issue and would never come up.

Old 07-16-2022, 03:10 PM

26,709 posts, read 41,887,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I do not understand the younger generation insisting on canceling people, just because they do not agree with them.
So let me get this straight.
Your mom has friends and family who do not approve of homosexuals, and you think she should never speak with them again?
What about if homosexuals will not associate with heterosexuals.
Does that make any sense?

A slightly off topic but serious question for you since you say you are bi.
In today's nutty word, some claim there are not just two genders. However someone who is bi is directly saying they have sex with both men & women.
Ergo, can a person really identify as bi if there are more than two genders?
The insistence is that we have a choice to not associate with people who wish or passively support certain populations of our loved ones harm. I have great gay, trans, and non-binary friends and nothing would make my skin crawl than to hear certain members on my mothers side of the family speak about how they are “the devil’s work” and they are going to hell. I’m not going to give you audience to wish people I love a lot harm or downgrade their character just because they have expressed their truth.

Old 07-16-2022, 04:43 PM

22,125 posts, read 13,232,194 times
OP, why does your mother's friend or relative or whatever it is even KNOW that you're bi, or does he or she? Do you go around announcing it to everyone? Because, again, no one cares except the people you're dating or sleeping with. "Don't ask, don't tell" works well.

I, too, am curious, since you say you're too disabled to work or live alone or manage your own affairs, how many serious relationships you've had or if you've had ANY romantic or sexual relationships. If not, it's even more of a non-issue.

Old 07-16-2022, 09:00 PM

293 posts, read 193,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
OP, why does your mother's friend or relative or whatever it is even KNOW that you're bi, or does he or she? Do you go around announcing it to everyone? Because, again, no one cares except the people you're dating or sleeping with. "Don't ask, don't tell" works well.

I, too, am curious, since you say you're too disabled to work or live alone or manage your own affairs, how many serious relationships you've had or if you've had ANY romantic or sexual relationships. If not, it's even more of a non-issue.

I have told them.

One thing i find that is surprising is that it's 2022 and some people still think most are attracted to the opposite gender.

I mean, really are people really this dense?

I mean with news nowadays about schools teaching kids about LGBT people.

>>2022

>> Still thinking everyone is straight.

Old 07-16-2022, 10:26 PM

6,854 posts, read 11,638,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axelthefox View Post

One thing i find that is surprising is that it's 2022 and some people still think most are attracted to the opposite gender.

>> Still thinking everyone is straight.
I don’t think anyone thinks “everyone is straight” but the majority (which by definition means greater than 50 percent) ARE heterosexual.

Old 07-17-2022, 05:24 AM

22,125 posts, read 13,232,194 times
Well, you didn't answer the question about your relationships (?) but, again, why does it matter? Our sexuality is one small part of who we are as people, at one time a very private part (the good old days), and most people don't know or care unless you make a big deal of it. I notice a lot of autists/Asperger folks are very woke, and you are, too.

Old 07-17-2022, 08:06 AM

16,776 posts, read 8,764,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
The insistence is that we have a choice to not associate with people who wish or passively support certain populations of our loved ones harm. I have great gay, trans, and non-binary friends and nothing would make my skin crawl than to hear certain members on my mothers side of the family speak about how they are “the devil’s work” and they are going to hell. I’m not going to give you audience to wish people I love a lot harm or downgrade their character just because they have expressed their truth.
"Harm"
What harm comes to someone who lives in a manner that others may not approve of, and use words to express as much.

Just imagine if everyone took your attitude, where they will not "give audience" to anyone who does not agree with their view, or yours for that matter.
To think someone is dependent on their mother, yet thinks they should be able to control who she associates with, otherwise be offended, seems a bit self absorbed.
It brings new meaning to those who enjoy the care provided to them, yet are critical of the manner in which said person provides that care.

Old 07-17-2022, 09:41 AM

12,166 posts, read 8,552,809 times
There is that, for me, cognitive dissonance I see in that generation that insists people be open-minded about their choices but which refuses to do the same for anyone who disagrees with them.

"There is only one truth and it is mine." LOL. Sounds like a religion.

They are quick to accuse others of hypocrisy. But can't see the hypocrisy of their own stance.

Until there are no exceptions to the idea of accepting other peoples' choices we will forever have misunderstanding and discord. If acceptance is what we want I think it behooves us to role model acceptance. If we can't or won't do that then we can expect backlash. It's the way the world works.

Old 07-18-2022, 07:46 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,033,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
There is that, for me, cognitive dissonance I see in that generation that insists people be open-minded about their choices but which refuses to do the same for anyone who disagrees with them.

"There is only one truth and it is mine." LOL. Sounds like a religion.

They are quick to accuse others of hypocrisy. But can't see the hypocrisy of their own stance.

Until there are no exceptions to the idea of accepting other peoples' choices we will forever have misunderstanding and discord. If acceptance is what we want I think it behooves us to role model acceptance. If we can't or won't do that then we can expect backlash. It's the way the world works.
Generally I agree, but one situation where I would have trouble is if somebody insisted that I call her or him "they" or "them." It is preposterous to me and takes things much too far. And if I were in the company of someone who does that which I really am not) I would just politely say "I'm very sorry but I really can't do that." I'm a moderate but IMO we need to put the brakes on certain things and IMO that is one of them.

I work with a ton of young people and thankfully none of them do that. May be against the company's policy to discuss things like that on the job. I really don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology