Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 04:03 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,243,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by axelthefox View Post
Well it's partly because i have special needs and she is hinting having someone look after me after she is gone and the person might be anti LGBT, but i not sure who or what.

There are two distinct issues you have presented .

One is why your parents continue to have a relationship with someone who is against LGBTQ . That isn’t possible to answer. You haven’t shared who it is and what they have said or done to you personally. Is it a sibling,an aunt , a cousin, a neighbour, a family friend, etc etc.

The second issue is your healthcare in the future which should be discussed. There is no room for ambiguity and hints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2022, 04:19 PM

22,125 posts, read 13,232,194 times
Yes... What are your "special needs"? Perhaps you can eventually take care of yourself and then you won't have to depend on anyone who doesn't share your point of view... On the other hand, if you CAN'T take care of yourself, you might find that "cancelling" friends and relatives who would have helped you wasn't wise.

Last edited by otterhere; 07-12-2022 at 04:39 PM..

Old 07-12-2022, 06:00 PM

15,099 posts, read 12,290,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Where did anyone say the OP was "less-than"? According to what little the OP wrote, some unknown person about which we know absolutely nothing specific, thought the OP's lifestyle was "wrong". We know nothing about why or how the OP even became aware of this view. It is possible to disagree with someone else without belittling them, insulting them, or persecuting them. I guess it bears repeating again...people are multifaceted. It is possible to acknowledge and benignly accept someone who doesn't happen to be a mirror image of yourself. Discerning, tolerant, and civilized people do it all the time. Speaking of assumptions, I'd suggest you are just as guilty of making them as the OP.
Exactly. It's entirely possible for two, or more people to have a good relationship even if they disagree about most things. You care about a person, you respect his/her rights to see things as he/she chooses. You also respect the person's rights to have the friends they choose, even if you don't much like, or see eye to eye with the friends.

Old 07-12-2022, 08:26 PM

78,925 posts, read 61,113,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axelthefox View Post
Because i came out as bisexual a long time ago, but for some reason my mom seems to want to associate with people who view being LGBT as wrong who are in their family, instead of simply splitting off contact with them.
Probably for the same reason that I put up with my friends that think owning a gun is a frightening thing?

Realistically, people have a wide variety of views.

Frankly, and this is the reason I dumped my significant other of a decade or so...I appreciate those that can "agree to disagree" becuase I recognize that none of us are omnipotent and take a rather "hey if you aren't hurting anyone else (unless that's what they like) it's none of my business.

So, you see where you went wrong is expecting that your families tolerance should be an extension of yourself into all of their other relationships which is utter and complete BS.

Dude, I'm literally the most tolerant person I know with regards to anything that is at least consensual.

I really don't care.

You, on the other hand want to control others. Just stop.

Basically, you're putting open minded people in the middle of YOUR small minded views and their friends small minded views and declaring that you should be right.

Seriously, stop. You sound like the Catholic Church.

P.S. I don't mean to be so rough but dear lord someone got in your head that your views are somehow the absolute truth and that you are willing to assail those that support you because they sit between yours and opposing views? Sweet baby J....you sound like Sean Hannity.

Old 07-13-2022, 07:53 AM

6,804 posts, read 4,511,392 times
As usual, the OP has become silent after not receiving the response required of us "bigoted and homophobic" peons.

We've been shunned for being … so hateful.

I can't even imagine having a family member like this. LOL.

Old 07-13-2022, 08:03 AM

22,125 posts, read 13,232,194 times
These responses would be "bullying." I'm afraid he's representative of this youngest generation. Gen Y? I can't keep up with what they're called anymore. I'll just call them "The Most Offended Generation" or "Snowflakes." (I hope that's not offensive.)

Old 07-13-2022, 08:36 AM

16,043 posts, read 6,417,125 times
Yup OP, the people saying you don't have a right to exist are the REAL victims here.

Old 07-13-2022, 09:16 AM

1,002 posts, read 621,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have gay relatives, one married to the same sex. I also have friends and relatives that are card-carrying right wing extremists. I don't give them up simply for their political/religious views. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs, in this country. The problem today is that so many people cannot tolerate anyone that disagrees with them. My goal is to let people live the way they want, and not judge them. I avoid any discussion of gender identification, politics or religion in any social situation, on social media, and in family gatherings, and that way we all get along.
So agree with this post! My daughter is gay and married a gay woman. My parents are having a hard time with it, for sure but I think they are getting used to the idea somewhat. I do not talk politics with others but I am open to anyone's religion and ideas regarding their beliefs. Just don't demand I believe the way you do. We should all be more open and accepting each other.

Old 07-13-2022, 09:28 AM

16,776 posts, read 8,764,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Maybe because you use a word like homo.
What is that comment suppose to mean?
I commonly use terms like homo or hetero as an abbreviation rather than type out sexual every time. Heck in this day and age everyone, especially the younger generation abbreviates everything.
Have you seen things like - R U K meaning Are You Ok ?
Funny enough, the ones brainwashed by PC who love to abbreviate will spell out "African-American" instead of just typing/saying black.
Yet if you were to ask them why, or ask them why they do not specify what white Americans ancestral heritage is (i.e. Polish-American), they are like deers in the headlights.

Heck come to think of it, the OP has not responded to anyone, so your comment makes no sense at all. I suspect the OP came here looking for everyone to feel the same way they do, and be outraged, throwing around terms like _____phobe, _____ist and the like.
Since we aren't, they have abandoned their own thread.

Old 07-13-2022, 09:30 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,351,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
So agree with this post! My daughter is gay and married a gay woman. My parents are having a hard time with it, for sure but I think they are getting used to the idea somewhat. I do not talk politics with others but I am open to anyone's religion and ideas regarding their beliefs. Just don't demand I believe the way you do. We should all be more open and accepting each other.
Bingo - and that means accepting people who don't believe what we believe. You know what - live and let live, honestly. I don't want to think about who another adult is having sex with, so I just don't judge people by that. Now, occasionally I'll run across someone whose very identity is this - "Who I Have Sex With." BLECH.

My contractor is a lesbian. So what? I didn't hire her to be a lesbian - I hired her to work on my house and she did a great job. I don't care who she sleeps with - that's not my business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology