Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have we become a society of Bevis and Butt-Heads?
No 6 24.00%
No, but we are getting closer 8 32.00%
Yes 11 44.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2022, 06:44 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,327,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
Have we become a society of Beavis and Butt-Heads?

With the rise in conspiracy belief, disbelief in science, and social misconduct, have we become a Bevis and Butt-Head style society?
As the late, great George Carlin once said, "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

And that was decades ago, nothing has changed since he uttered those words, except the proliferation of social media!

Last edited by cjseliga; 07-23-2022 at 07:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2022, 10:46 AM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
Not Beavis and Butt-head related, but...

According to the Idiocracy road map that Judge (same B&B writer) laid out, that "not so smart" segment of the population continues to grow exponentially while those of a higher intelligence limit their breeding to 1-2 children or abstain altogether to focus on work, travel, school, etc.
Well, it's not a scientific survey, but I informally observe this in real life.

Old 07-23-2022, 12:44 PM

1,701 posts, read 781,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
Have we become a society of Beavis and Butt-Heads?

With the rise in conspiracy belief, disbelief in science, and social misconduct, have we become a Bevis and Butt-Head style society?
I’d say NO, because in almost society since there’s been a “society” the older people within sed culture complained about the direction of where there’s is headed. I’m sure that way way back, the elders in tribal Neolithic cultures complained about the social direction of their clan.

Here’s a question, will there ever be society wherein a large number older citizens don’t complain and simply accept social change the way they wanted it to be when they were young? I’m pretty sure it’s NOPE, because elderly HATER-ADE seems part of the human experience.

Old 07-23-2022, 01:57 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,446,284 times
Spitting loogies off a building.
Being stoners.
Yeah not much has changed with that teen non sense. Was it funny.
Not then, and not now.
How anyone decides what is funny is a personal mindset ...unless it borders on maniacal. Which some teens exhibit with their joy in popping off a few animals just for the ' fun' of it.

I mentored inner city teens ...gave it up six months ago. Most were creative and had experiences no child should witness or endure. They were the exception I suppose.

Old 07-24-2022, 06:28 AM

5,790 posts, read 3,597,197 times
Yes, but the Beavis and Butthead society's just part of a deeper issue: Belief that short simple answers necessarily are more correct than complex answers. Add to that a huge dollop of kneejerk glorification of machismo, glory pursuit, consumerism, and flashy superficial imagery; plus disdaining non-conformist in much of the nation. There's more I can say, but you get the picture by now, I'm sure.

Old 07-24-2022, 09:12 AM

7,764 posts, read 3,791,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Hasn't some portion of society always been kinda not so smart?
Shockingly, 50% of our population is below the median in intelligence.

Also shockingly, a survey 10,000 men revealed that 100% rate themselves in the top 10% in terms of sexual performance.

Old 07-24-2022, 12:08 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,087,371 times
If anything, I think it's the opposite.

I see a lot of intellectual superiority and bullying both online and in real life. But especially online.

Not that I see any of it here ('watching sports is for morons'...)

Making others feel inadequate if they cannot speak on certain subjects.

I really believe the down to Earth, laidback person is the one becoming extinct...

Old 07-24-2022, 05:15 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,249,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

I see a lot of intellectual superiority and bullying both online and in real life. But especially online.

I really believe the down to Earth, laidback person is the one becoming extinct...
I was thinking the same thing the other day... The internet is the schoolyard playground where the smart kids are the bullies.

Old 07-24-2022, 06:05 PM

2,408 posts, read 1,525,991 times
My bell curve intelligence chart tells me that 68% of the population is average. Sadly, 16% of the group falls into the below category. As the population increases, the number of folks that make up the underperforming 16% grows.

I believe today's social media gives a lot of the morons a platform to fly their freak flags. Thus making them more visible to a greater audience.

You might be able to make an argument that people today are, knowledge wise, the smartest of all history. 40 years ago, hardly anyone knew what a spreadsheet was. Now they are quite common. 35 years ago the concept of a zoom meeting was a science fiction book subject. Yet here we are in 2022 zooming along every day.

Old 07-25-2022, 04:44 PM

30,321 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

So true. I always find it funny when my "intellectualism" is called into question (by some rando on social media) because I watch a certain TV show, or don't follow politics, or don't know astrophysics, etc, etc. I'm a reference librarian with a Master's Degree. I just like what I like! And the last thing I want to do after 9 hours at the library is READ or STUDY anything; our brains need a break sometimes, and we all have our ways of doing that. Dumb people exist, sure. But how you spend your free time isn't the most accurate measure, considering how many geniuses also enjoy things like video games. Honestly, the smartest people are usually the ones who aren't afraid to say "I don't know that." Or "I don't care about that."

P.S. I freaking LOVE Beavis and Butthead, even to this day. It makes me giggle, especially since I was a teen during those (mid-90s) years. Simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology