Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 05:57 PM

18,743 posts, read 7,641,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Real aliens might do it.
Why would they care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2022, 06:04 PM

4,051 posts, read 3,327,060 times
The next real big game changer is going to be artificial intelligence. Once it gets good enough we need to worry about the skynet type of problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Incontrovertible, obvious proof of a religion.
There is a bunch of evidence that meditation works and is hugely beneficial. But that hasn't made everyone become Buddhists because science has now validated major aspects of Buddhist belief. Instead the opposite occurs, people say that science validated meditation, but you don't need to become a Buddhist to successfully meditate. Later it becomes why are you still clinging to your superstitious Buddhist's beliefs when you don't need to be a Buddhist to meditate and the aspects of Buddhism that don't involve meditation haven't been scientifically validated, religion is all nonsense.

Old 07-29-2022, 08:27 AM

4,038 posts, read 1,893,572 times
I'll go with usable, programmable arbitrary time-travel. Go when ya want...er, when ya want.

But that's ever going to happen...we'd already know...right?

Old 07-29-2022, 09:20 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,063,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisCD View Post
If the ability to transport things became available, there would still be the need for the equipment to actually do it and the expertise to use it. Thus, likely, initially be expensive sort of like Solar, EVs or any new technology. As it scales it would become more affordable, but may or may not ever be in every home.

cd : O)
Now there's another interesting question. If transport was like it was on Star Trek, would there be a massively religious battle?

Despite what Kirk told President Lincoln
LINCOLN: Taped music, you say. Well, perhaps Mister Spock will be good enough to explain that to me later. A most interesting way to come aboard, Captain. What was the device used?
KIRK: An energy-matter scrambler, sir. The molecules in your body are converted into energy, then beamed into this chamber and reconverted back into their original pattern.
LINCOLN: Well, since I'm obviously here, and quite whole, whatever you mean apparently works very well indeed.

Any decent Trekkie knows that the transporter doesn't quite work that way. What it does is scan at the point of origin and assembles a duplicate at the other end, destroying the original. Hence, we have Dr. McCoy's famous counter saying to his most infamous words, "He's dead, Jim," of....."I don't know if I am alive anymore or not.".Would such a duplicating device create a massive religious movement?

Old 07-29-2022, 12:05 PM
KCZ

4,688 posts, read 3,691,554 times
There aren't any. We have too many science-deniers. Look at the people who still don't believe COVID exists.

Old 07-29-2022, 01:12 PM

2,288 posts, read 1,592,042 times
Time travel.
Mass telepathy.
Location of wormholes.

Old 07-29-2022, 04:07 PM

7,985 posts, read 3,918,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
A sure-fire weight loss aid. Okay, so that's a selfish wish! I'm battling an extra 20 menopause/pandemic pounds... But I'm not alone!
Drink some Indus River Water. You'll definitely lose 20 pounds quickly. Ask me how I know.

Old 07-29-2022, 05:49 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,269,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
Mass telepathy.
Creepy, I don't want other people in my head!

I've been thinking about this. Our brains must have some built-in circuit that does hedonic adjustment. That's how you get used to things. For example the first chocolate bar tastes the best, the last not as good.

Imagine if we could take a medication that dampened our hedonic adjustment circuitry. Everything would seem much more novel and pleasurable.

Old 07-30-2022, 12:18 AM

15,253 posts, read 13,007,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Weather control.

Then what would we talk about?

Old 07-30-2022, 12:19 AM

15,253 posts, read 13,007,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
This new matter type, "it-doesn't-matter," would be a scientific breakthrough of breathtaking proportions that wouldn't affect anyone, nor would it change the course of human history.

I like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology