Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 01:01 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Speaking only for myself, of course:

1. I enjoy writing.
2. I don't have any friends (retired to a new place)
3. It gives me something to do
4. I enjoy interacting with people, even if I don't actually know them
5. It keeps me informed, not only about current events and issues, but I pick up a lot of information about other stuff, too (especially in the Retirement forum)

That being said, I post more on the P&OC forum than anywhere else, so it is not just "personal stuff" -- although I admit that I post a lot of personal opinions!

Btw, C-D is the ONLY social media I use. I am not even on Facebook and don't have an account, for example.
Similar. I do post on FB, but mostly photos I take during my daily walk.

I also like to write, and I am stuck in a place that is not my home where I have no family or friends, and I am a caregiver for my seriously ill partner. I don't have many choices of things to do or the chance to go very far.

City-Data is my connection to the outside world.

Old 08-21-2022, 01:46 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Wow...yeah, I don't like that it is this way. While waiting for a table at a restaurant, others are all looking down at their phones, instead of conversing. It is what everyone has been conditioned to do. I don't care for texting, and do not do so with many, and not using apps, so my phone stays off most of the time unless I need it when out. Another tells me, "I know those older than you who use their phones always". So, what? Part of this has developed due to pressure to fit in with the crowd, whether one likes doing so or not.
My husband and I go to a cafe everyday and spend time reading the news (on our phones) and then chat about it a bit, then he reads his kindle and I read my book. One day we were group texting with our grandson and daughter in another state when a woman in her 40’s came up to us and said “ wow you’re like a couple of teenagers with your noses stuck in your phones and not talking to each other”. Bloody cheeky moo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2022, 03:03 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoAmericaGo View Post
I agree. It’s so commonplace now that 35 year old women with children are doing it and their parents and family are commenting things like “you go girl” or “you’re such a strong woman”. Eek.
Anectodal evidence, but I know that at least in certain cases, these are meant to be an "FU" to a former partner who is hopefully lurking; like look how hot I am, see what you're missing, living my best life without you, etc., etc.

Old 08-21-2022, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am stuck in a place that is not my home where I have no family or friends, and I am a caregiver for my seriously ill partner. I don't have many choices of things to do or the chance to go very far.

City-Data is my connection to the outside world.
You must have been a pretty frequent visitor to C-D even before this situation, though; you were already a moderator?

Old 08-21-2022, 03:25 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
You must have been a pretty frequent visitor to C-D even before this situation, though; you were already a moderator?
Oh yeah, I have been here since 2009 when I found it while looking for my condo. I was in the relationship before I became a mod in 2018, and I always posted on a daily basis, but less than now. I was working, for one thing, plus before I was freer to do other stuff. I used to have a social life! Like with real live people, where we played cards and games and went to free live concerts by the beach in summer...my mother was still alive, so I took her out and we played Scrabble afterward. Life has changed drastically, but City-Data has remained a constant.

Old 08-21-2022, 05:40 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Anectodal evidence, but I know that at least in certain cases, these are meant to be an "FU" to a former partner who is hopefully lurking; like look how hot I am, see what you're missing, living my best life without you, etc., etc.
Yeah, and how silly is that? This is how things have become, since people can and are shown examples of, they will.

Old 11-10-2022, 04:35 PM

I used to post (on Facebook only) every single day when I was working. Since retiring, I've hardly posted at all. Make of that what you will!

Old 11-13-2022, 02:30 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,218,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
More than happy to answer!

Love having discussions with people on different topics, understand human behavior, see how people feel on certain things via polls, and for more personal posts, sometimes I need a sounding board to gain some perspective which works sometimes and sometimes doesn't work, but it gets me thinking about things in my life that I am experiencing.

Regardless of topic, the point is to have discussions.

Social media daily posting feels different from that in how people use it compared to this site. Forums like CD and Reddit are meant to usually discuss things and are anonymous for the most part. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, are usually used more for attention, not always, but a lot of times it is and rarely anonymous, quite the opposite usually.

So to answer the question I love having discussions like these (just like we are having now). I am a curious cat. Does that make sense?
If you didn't know city data forums is social media you're doing it too so probably the same reasons.

Old 11-13-2022, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
If you didn't know city data forums is social media you're doing it too so probably the same reasons.
It's a matter of opinion - and debate - as to whether or not C-D is the equivalent of Facebook and Instagram.

I vote "no." It's an anonymous message board on which the focus is whatever topic is being discussed and not ourselves.

But do I waste entirely too much time here? Hell, yes.

Old 11-13-2022, 03:51 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
....why? And I am talking about people who don't do it for their business/work, but all personal stuff.

Is it because they are lonely? Need validation? Attention? Insecure? Narcissists?
Hmmm. Let's look at this closely. ...
Let's start here.

What was your motivation for posting this post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology