Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 10:54 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times

Advertisements

Personally, I'm on C-D so much because I'm bored to death, but the people I know who lead extremely full and busy lives yet STILL post all day on SM such as FB and IG must be doing so for other reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2022, 11:13 AM

6,305 posts, read 4,201,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Yes, but then you'd basically be lying; saying "this is my identity" when it isn't. Message boards don't require that you have or reveal an identity beyond a user name. It's about the discussion at hand and not about you.

As I've often lamented, we've gone from face-to-face conversations to writing letters to talking on the phone to email to Facebook to now tweets, texts, and IG captions. With each development (or "improvement," as some see it), it seems to me the communication is less substantial and satisfying. Not my idea of progress...
Good point. Maybe some can’t converse on Fb under their real names or need the privacy anonymity affords them, I just don’t see that de facto makes Fb superficial.

I still write letters

Old 08-02-2022, 12:01 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Personally, I'm on C-D so much because I'm bored to death, but the people I know who lead extremely full and busy lives yet STILL post all day on SM such as FB and IG must be doing so for other reasons.
How do you feel about LinkedIn?

Old 08-02-2022, 02:27 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,673,179 times
Heck, one of the people I pay the most attention to every day on Facebook, explicitly writes "letters" and she calls them letters! But it's the same text she puts on Substack as well. I have a few friends and people I follow on FB who tend to have something to SAY when they post and I love reading what they write.

Twitter is the platform that tends to push my "ugh, annoying" buttons most. I have one but I almost never use it. I don't like the character limit for starters (anyone who knows how I write here...lol!) But beyond that, I'm not that into celebrity stuff and even the phrase "tweeting on Twitter" gives me serious get-off-my-lawn feelings. It sounds like a made up thing that should not exist to my brain for some reason.

I'm really glad that TikTok videos get reposted to Facebook and Youtube. I don't want to join another platform but there are some really fun videos out there that I enjoy a lot.

Old 08-04-2022, 08:15 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Many of the complaints against Fb however are based on the complainers way of using it and the mistaken assumption that that’s how it is for everybody. Instagram is not all about selfies, nor is the instagrammer forced to see them unless they just randomly follow anyone. You can tailor your views to specific subjects that interest you. For me it’s bird photography and nature.
That's a good point... and as someone of the current "sandwich generation" (GenX), I embraced social media but also had some misconceptions about the "young ones" like Instagram and TikTok. I even have my own Instagram, a few in fact, which are entirely photos of my animals. And the only accounts I follow are family members and close friends, a few other animal-based ones, and a few crafty types. Same with Facebook.

But I will say, the new format on Facebook with "reels" is getting annoying. I just want to scroll through my own people/pages, but those dumb videos insert themselves into my feed - and then of course I end up watching, opening the comment section, and raising my blood pressure as a result. I'm getting better about resisting the urge, however, and also "Xing" out the ones that are particularly troublesome.

Old 08-04-2022, 08:18 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
This reminds me of the old line, "I own a TV, but watch only public television and then only the nature documentaries," LOL. Not that I don't believe you!

Old 08-06-2022, 08:31 AM

613 posts, read 1,018,158 times
I just heard about some girls who were involved in an accident or were lost or something; they posted to facebook instead of calling 911.

Old 08-06-2022, 10:24 AM

6,305 posts, read 4,201,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That's a good point... and as someone of the current "sandwich generation" (GenX), I embraced social media but also had some misconceptions about the "young ones" like Instagram and TikTok. I even have my own Instagram, a few in fact, which are entirely photos of my animals. And the only accounts I follow are family members and close friends, a few other animal-based ones, and a few crafty types. Same with Facebook.

But I will say, the new format on Facebook with "reels" is getting annoying. I just want to scroll through my own people/pages, but those dumb videos insert themselves into my feed - and then of course I end up watching, opening the comment section, and raising my blood pressure as a result. I'm getting better about resisting the urge, however, and also "Xing" out the ones that are particularly troublesome.

Yep they are pushing the reels on Instagram and Fb and yes becoming an annoyance that I try to ignore as much as possible.

Old 08-06-2022, 07:24 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
I love people. People are generally awesome. Social media, CD,and the like are the new way to go socialize like at a bar, except without drinking. I suppose that you can drink while you converse online, but that is pretty risky in several different ways.

Old 08-12-2022, 02:50 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,584,588 times
A good number of people are psychologically and emotionally addicted to receiving 'like' and 'love' responses on Fbook and Instag.

(and receiving comments too about their posts on Fbook and Instag)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology