Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 09:59 PM

12,882 posts, read 9,115,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
On the other hand, that expression may be what pleases them to say, gives them a warm feeling. Further, if so, it may not be the expression that touches them that way all the time but may be to a reference that they want to feel in that moment.

Ie, feeling like Ezri Dax (Nicole deBoer) in DS 9:Field of Fire:

EZRI: This isn't funny.
(More banging sounds then a figure looms from the gloom.)
EZRI: Worf!
WORF: It is late. You should be in your quarters.
EZRI: Were you following me?
WORF: It is dangerous for you to be wandering the Promenade alone.
EZRI: You were worried about me?
WORF: There is a killer on the station. You have no right to endanger yourself this way.
EZRI: You were worried about me. Thank you, Worf. That's sweet.

The concept of one word, of how she played that part, to feel like her (character) may be the trick at hand.........or to put it another way.....it's all about them!
I much prefer Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5.

TO SOME CREW AFTER THEY SCREWED UP: Ivanova is Always Right. Ivanova Is GOD. And if this happens again Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out!.

TO THE WRONG SIDE IN THE CIVIL WAR: I am the right hand of vengeance. ... I am death incarnate and the last living thing you are ever going to see. God sent ME!

I do believe Worf would have fallen in love with her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2022, 05:35 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,063,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I much prefer Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5.

TO SOME CREW AFTER THEY SCREWED UP: Ivanova is Always Right. Ivanova Is GOD. And if this happens again Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out!.

TO THE WRONG SIDE IN THE CIVIL WAR: I am the right hand of vengeance. ... I am death incarnate and the last living thing you are ever going to see. God sent ME!

I do believe Worf would have fallen in love with her.

To each their own. B 5 started off nice but by the time it was done, it was much too full of itself to make it fun to watch. But it did have its points. Ivanova only said she was bad.....Lyta Alexander made you actually feel it.

Old 08-03-2022, 07:41 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,705,386 times
Back on topic- in the old days, a “shrink” was typically a psychiatrist. If you actually need medications for stabilization, that’s not going to be something you can do on the internet. AFAIK, companies that offered those services via an online medium have gotten into hot water and aren’t necessarily even able to prescribe anymore.

Old 08-03-2022, 08:03 AM

66 posts, read 48,397 times
I always visit City Data when I need mental health services.
Lots of experts in here.

Old 08-03-2022, 09:46 AM

20,420 posts, read 14,729,279 times
I do think that part of what I'd be doing if I were in therapy, I do here...but also in my head when I'm in the shower, and also on the phone with family members and close friends, and also in conversations with my husband...

It's just "processing." Thinking through the questions about frustrations I have or behaviors I do, that may not best serve me, and why do I do that? Where does that invasive thought process come from? Why do I feel this or that way about this or that thing? And I guess I get flashes of insight, what might have been called "a breakthrough" by some therapists (on TV?) and that can help me understand myself and do work to re-train myself where I feel a need.

I have often thought that I would love to have a therapist in my life. But then I see things like how hard it's been for my son who has serious issues to get the help he needs and I watched a very recent piece that John Oliver did on mental health in America, and I also feel that since I am pretty functional overall, I don't need one badly enough to take up their time. Others need their help more than I do.

What also bugs me is that I did try at one point to look into some kind of telemed option, since I do feel that sessions of talk therapy can easily be done via video call. And I was thrilled to see that my insurance company links to a whole service for that, but I was less thrilled to see that they apparently could not tell me what it cost beyond "not more than $80/visit." OK well there is a big difference in my mind between $80 and like, $20 as a copay for such a service. I guess I could probably clear it up by calling my insurance company but I'm just so very annoyed at how they presented this that I kinda gave up on the whole thing in a huff.

Tell ya one thing I know about me, from my "processing" and introspection... I find it EXTREMELY hard to ask anyone for help. I have pretty much no faith in the idea that anyone can be counted on to be there for me and I assume that asking for anything, support or help or even time and a friendly ear...is burdening people and it's an imposition. So there are two chunks of negative-gremlin-talk that natter in my ear about therapy. The first is "You are so unlikeable you have to pay someone to be your friend, because if you bothered your 'friends' with your real problems and what's really on your mind, they would not want to be around you anymore." And the second, is that the instant even the slightest of obstacles pops up in the way of getting connected to a therapist...even so much as an unanswered phone call or an unreturned voicemail...I think, "Clearly you are meant to not have help, has not the Universe told you this enough, you need to handle this on your own. It's the way of things for you. Others deserve support, you are on your own."

Well. Because I've spent enough time in my own head, and on this forum, and in conversations with a few other people, I know precisely where in my childhood the roots of those notions originated.

I think I'm pretty good at understanding myself. What I am not so good at, is persuading my emotional self that these things are maybe...not true. I can get far enough to see the issue but not quite far enough to fix it, I think, on my own.

Old 08-03-2022, 10:09 AM

5,689 posts, read 3,191,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I do think that part of what I'd be doing if I were in therapy, I do here...but also in my head when I'm in the shower, and also on the phone with family members and close friends, and also in conversations with my husband...

It's just "processing." Thinking through the questions about frustrations I have or behaviors I do, that may not best serve me, and why do I do that? Where does that invasive thought process come from? Why do I feel this or that way about this or that thing? And I guess I get flashes of insight, what might have been called "a breakthrough" by some therapists (on TV?) and that can help me understand myself and do work to re-train myself where I feel a need.

I have often thought that I would love to have a therapist in my life. But then I see things like how hard it's been for my son who has serious issues to get the help he needs and I watched a very recent piece that John Oliver did on mental health in America, and I also feel that since I am pretty functional overall, I don't need one badly enough to take up their time. Others need their help more than I do.

What also bugs me is that I did try at one point to look into some kind of telemed option, since I do feel that sessions of talk therapy can easily be done via video call. And I was thrilled to see that my insurance company links to a whole service for that, but I was less thrilled to see that they apparently could not tell me what it cost beyond "not more than $80/visit." OK well there is a big difference in my mind between $80 and like, $20 as a copay for such a service. I guess I could probably clear it up by calling my insurance company but I'm just so very annoyed at how they presented this that I kinda gave up on the whole thing in a huff.

Tell ya one thing I know about me, from my "processing" and introspection... I find it EXTREMELY hard to ask anyone for help. I have pretty much no faith in the idea that anyone can be counted on to be there for me and I assume that asking for anything, support or help or even time and a friendly ear...is burdening people and it's an imposition. So there are two chunks of negative-gremlin-talk that natter in my ear about therapy. The first is "You are so unlikeable you have to pay someone to be your friend, because if you bothered your 'friends' with your real problems and what's really on your mind, they would not want to be around you anymore." And the second, is that the instant even the slightest of obstacles pops up in the way of getting connected to a therapist...even so much as an unanswered phone call or an unreturned voicemail...I think, "Clearly you are meant to not have help, has not the Universe told you this enough, you need to handle this on your own. It's the way of things for you. Others deserve support, you are on your own."

Well. Because I've spent enough time in my own head, and on this forum, and in conversations with a few other people, I know precisely where in my childhood the roots of those notions originated.

I think I'm pretty good at understanding myself. What I am not so good at, is persuading my emotional self that these things are maybe...not true. I can get far enough to see the issue but not quite far enough to fix it, I think, on my own.
Back in Dec/January of 2020 I wasn't really doing well. I was working from home, so I was isolated, both of my old dogs had died, didn't get to see my family at Christmas...everything just kind of piled up...and I had a bit of a mental crisis.

So, I took advantage of my EAP benefits, and I had a few telephone therapy sessions. I remember one specific phone session, where I think she had asked me something about my first husband...or maybe it was missing my oldest son...I don't know...don't remember, but the therapist said "You've experienced a lot of loss over the years."

Oh!

Ohhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Why did I never make that connection before? I'm not unique...I'm not the only person who's experienced loss, and surely other people might've handled stuff I'd experienced in better ways (and surely, some in worse ways) but THAT...'LOSS'...it had never been a 'thing' to me...not on my radar.

I'll tell you...it helped a LOT, just to have it acknowledged. Acknowledged by ME. I felt like I had somehow just tunneled through an iron mountain.

I think having a neutral observer...a TRAINED neutral observer/therapist can have a phenomenal benefit...and heck, why not sooner, than later?

Old 08-03-2022, 10:09 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,477,438 times
It's funny how the so-called richest material nation has so many problems with mental health. Why do people in poorer countries seem...I won't say "happier", but more mentally stable? Maybe because they have better values and don't have to interact as much with the Americans who think they corner the market on what it means to be an American. All while living in denial about what "their" nation represents for people who aren't them.

Old 08-03-2022, 10:50 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,773,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
It's funny how the so-called richest material nation has so many problems with mental health. Why do people in poorer countries seem...I won't say "happier", but more mentally stable? Maybe because they have better values and don't have to interact as much with the Americans who think they corner the market on what it means to be an American. All while living in denial about what "their" nation represents for people who aren't them.
You may be wrong about this. India is facing a severe epidemic of mental illness right now. Other countries are not immune. They just lack the resources to diagnose and treat people, so of course you can't know how many are suffering.

Old 08-03-2022, 11:04 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,477,438 times
I don't live in India.

I'd encourage those interested to look at countries whose mental health statistics are available and observe the ones with high mental health issues. How do those countries treat their citizens? How do the citizens interact with each other (and outsiders)? These things matter.

Old 08-03-2022, 11:17 AM

5,689 posts, read 3,191,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

Back in Dec/January of 2020 I wasn't really doing well. I was working from home, so I was isolated, both of my old dogs had died, didn't get to see my family at Christmas...everything just kind of piled up...and I had a bit of a mental crisis.

So, I took advantage of my EAP benefits, and I had a few telephone therapy sessions. I remember one specific phone session, where I think she had asked me something about my first husband...or maybe it was missing my oldest son...I don't know...don't remember, but the therapist said "You've experienced a lot of loss over the years."

Oh!

Ohhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Why did I never make that connection before? I'm not unique...I'm not the only person who's experienced loss, and surely other people might've handled stuff I'd experienced in better ways (and surely, some in worse ways) but THAT...'LOSS'...it had never been a 'thing' to me...not on my radar.

I'll tell you...it helped a LOT, just to have it acknowledged. Acknowledged by ME. I felt like I had somehow just tunneled through an iron mountain.

I think having a neutral observer...a TRAINED neutral observer/therapist can have a phenomenal benefit...and heck, why not sooner, than later?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology