Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 06:04 PM

23,648 posts, read 70,643,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I've been watching people interact since I can remember, and it seems we all think that others' choices in life are ours to judge and make pronouncements about. There doesn't seem to be any choice too small or large. I've never known anyone that is completely free of the need to decide what others should do, or should not do.

Is it just my point of view, or have you noticed this?

Is it an innate compulsion, or is it part of our upbringing? It seems so broad that if it is socially based, it seems to encompass all cultures.

Ideas?
Humans interact with other humans. Such interactions are generally based upon codes of conduct. When those codes are ignored, there is instability. The easy example is the construction of the commerce clause in the U.S. Constitution. Violation of those codes are illegal and punishable.

The larger concept is a country that is ruled by laws rather than by individuals. That is why so many of us rail against populism and the cult of personality.

On smaller scales, which is what I suspect you are attempting to discuss, there are other factors that come into play. Specifically, projection is problematic. I can recount countless stories of preachers exhorting others to live a pure life, while simultaneously having extra-curricular relations with followers.

During childhood, rules are learned. During adolescence, those rules are tested. During early adulthood, they are used to form basic relations. During middle adulthood, they are used as tools for power over others. During late adulthood (provided that there has been psychological development), internalization occurs and concurrently there is a recognition that morality/rules/laws only are important within the framework of personal development. Regrettably, many people never reach that stage of development.

Outside of basic laws and the commerce clause, which provide safety and a basis for a peaceful society, I don't much care what others do as long as intentional hurt and schadenfreude are not involved.

At any time now and in history, there have been huge groups of people at various stages of development along these lines. Childhood and adolescence are the only stages that are actively curated for outcomes. After that, most of what happens is mud wrestling. What you are seeing is mud wrestling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2022, 06:43 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,123,999 times
Quote:
How would another's choices effect your life? Could you give some examples of times that you've felt this?
I'm talking in generalities, not specifically about myself or how I particularly feel. But sure, I'll give some examples of how some people might think this way.

Some may feel that homosexuality is a threat to their idea of morality and family structure. Some may especially feel that way if they have experienced homoerotic stimulation themselves while maintaining the image of an upstanding religious man/woman. They might judge other homosexuals because they feel like they are being exposed to something unsavory.

Some may feel that the propagation of misinformation and conspiracy theories and other unsubstantiated stories threaten the fabric of our society, and more specifically, our stable and otherwise happy lives. In fact, we literally witnessed an attempted coup on our government because of just that.

I'm sure that the parents of Sandy Hook victims feel righteous in their critical judgment of someone like Alex Jones, who has profited greatly on spreading misinformation and untruths to his unthinking followers about them and their children being crisis actors partaking in a giant hoax conducted by a perceived "deep state". In some cases, it has led to downright misery for the victims' parents, including but not limited to death threats and harassment.

Other people's choices impact our lives all the time and it's completely naive and ignorant to believe otherwise. Sometimes it's for the better, and sometimes it's for the worse. Curtailing taxes that fund public services like education comes to mind; the impact that has on educators and communities alike is quite apparent. As a relatively young and healthy individual, it is no mystery that I subsidize the high health costs of those on my insurance plan who are sickly. I'm okay with that, though, because one day my number might also be called.

When you are a small minded individual, you can't fathom a world beyond your own small world, and thus are incapable of realizing how intricately interwoven the world is. I don't always fault people for that, because they simply don't know any better and simply aren't capable of thinking beyond just a few steps in front of them. They aren't necessarily malicious, just not very bright. But some people do know better, and in fact take advantage of that by manipulating the less intellectually gifted. They convince their blind followers that someone else is getting something they're not, which turns them against one another. Soon, it takes hold like a cancer and we're all just eating away at one another because of the false notion that someone or something is compromising our advantage in a zero-sum game that does not exist.

Last edited by modest; 08-04-2022 at 06:52 PM..

Old 08-04-2022, 06:57 PM

8,784 posts, read 3,942,175 times
Quote:
What compels us to feel righteous in judging others?
All of us judge; it is necessary to establish trust and determine likability/compatibility/friendship. We don’t like everyone, and not everyone likes us. Hence it’s not (necessarily) about self-righteousness (or insecurity, for that matter) - unless one is compelled to (viciously) express or act on it.

In other words, how can one be considered self-righteous for something they never expressed?

Old 08-04-2022, 07:10 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
I'm talking in generalities, not specifically about myself or how I particularly feel. But sure, I'll give some examples of how some people might think this way.

Soon, it takes hold like a cancer and we're all just eating away at one another because of the false notion that someone or something is compromising our advantage in a zero-sum game that does not exist.
Thank you for taking the time to give some examples that probably everyone can relate to to some point.

Old 08-04-2022, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Humans interact with other humans. Such interactions are generally based upon codes of conduct. When those codes are ignored, there is instability. The easy example is the construction of the commerce clause in the U.S. Constitution. Violation of those codes are illegal and punishable.

The larger concept is a country that is ruled by laws rather than by individuals. That is why so many of us rail against populism and the cult of personality.

On smaller scales, which is what I suspect you are attempting to discuss, there are other factors that come into play. Specifically, projection is problematic. I can recount countless stories of preachers exhorting others to live a pure life, while simultaneously having extra-curricular relations with followers.

During childhood, rules are learned. During adolescence, those rules are tested. During early adulthood, they are used to form basic relations. During middle adulthood, they are used as tools for power over others. During late adulthood (provided that there has been psychological development), internalization occurs and concurrently there is a recognition that morality/rules/laws only are important within the framework of personal development. Regrettably, many people never reach that stage of development.

Outside of basic laws and the commerce clause, which provide safety and a basis for a peaceful society, I don't much care what others do as long as intentional hurt and schadenfreude are not involved.

At any time now and in history, there have been huge groups of people at various stages of development along these lines. Childhood and adolescence are the only stages that are actively curated for outcomes. After that, most of what happens is mud wrestling. What you are seeing is mud wrestling.
Normally I cut out most of the poster's verbage in a reply, but in your case I think the message in its entirety is worth repeating. Thank you for participating.

Old 08-04-2022, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I’m not in a position to know what we all think and can only share that what I’ve observed is there are some very judgemental people who want to boost their own sense of superiority, some who perceive if others don’t follow a prescribed path they are doomed , some who judge out of frustration, or they judge others in areas they feel they are the weakest, sometimes it’s a warning.

Parnassia nailed it, a “sort of confidence bias”.
Yes, brief and to the point. A concise summation. Thank you.

Old 08-04-2022, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
In other words, how can one be considered self-righteous for something they never expressed?
True, but I don't recall saying self-righteous, and I cannot observe what others are thinking. I apologize for being unclear. I intended to address the act of verbally judging others as if the person was on the righteous side and the "other" was not.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:49 PM

8,784 posts, read 3,942,175 times
Quote:
I apologize for being unclear. I intended to address the act of verbally judging others as if the person was on the righteous side and the "other" was not.
Fair enough; hence my point re: thoughts vs. behavior. It’s a huge distinction, as we all ‘judge’ or form opinions about others. It’s our behavior which speaks to our psychological health i.e. one who judges another, then acts upon said conclusion because ‘he deserved it’. They feel morally justified/righteous in so doing.

Old 08-05-2022, 04:53 AM

15,949 posts, read 12,339,529 times
Evolution. We evolved to want to be part of the tribe and fit in and obey the tribes rules to keep the alpha male happy. In nature being outcast often meant death so there is strong instinctive drives to make us want to judge others and compare them to society or group norms. This is an attempt to boost our own status within the group and ease our anxiety. It's also a way to get behavior to make sure there are no dangerous elements within the group. It's literally a built in survival mechanism to judge differences.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Evolution. We evolved to want to be part of the tribe and fit in and obey the tribes rules to keep the alpha male happy. In nature being outcast often meant death so there is strong instinctive drives to make us want to judge others and compare them to society or group norms. This is an attempt to boost our own status within the group and ease our anxiety. It's also a way to get behavior to make sure there are no dangerous elements within the group. It's literally a built in survival mechanism to judge differences.
Yours is a perspective that at first blush seems completely opposite to mine, but let me explain why.

I am a great lover of the natural world. Watching animals -- including those I've owned, is almost as fascinating to me as people-watching. These traits you describe as evolved seems to me the same tribal behaviors I see in pack animals -- like dogs, and horses, deer, elk, goats, monkeys.

These observations have left me thinking that the traits people call human nature are in fact animal nature. I am more likely to think of traits not observed in animals that few people, in these modern times, exhibit: compassion, empathy, altruism, generosity, equanimity -- to name a few. These are the evolved traits I see in few people now, but my readings in history have shown many such minded people. I'd actually come to the conclusion that we have "devolved," in recent history. I've begun to think that as our natural resources, and man-made ones, have become more scarce we've more or less regressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology