Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has the shift to online socializing made you less fulfilled?
Yes 8 53.33%
No 7 46.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2022, 03:56 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I am an introvert and feel like the internet has enriched my social life, but I could imagine a different experience for extroverts.

How has it been?
I am an introvert, and I find online social venues uncivilized and discourteous, for the most part.

I can go anywhere today and strike up a conversation with strangers anywhere, and they are normally friendly and courteous. Sometimes they say things I disagree with, but I can tell they are genuine in their thoughts so I just listen. If they ask, I probably would say I saw the situation differently, and if they pursue it, I would explain my reasoning -- just as I would here. There is no ulterior motivations or snipping. Just two people discussing their differences.

Here, it seems like people are often looking for a fight. It was the same on FB. They toss off inflammatory remarks just to get a response, and then they pounce. It's pretty childish and immature, but there you have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2022, 06:54 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
No, because extroverts are probably not going to do much socializing online, so nothing changed for them. What even is "online socializing"? Like Zoom parties? UGH no thanks.

I'm an extrovert and even during the pandemic I found ways to spend time with real-life friends and even make some new ones. By July 2020 I was at my neighborhood pool and farmers market, having dinner parties with my "pod," meeting folks at the dog park, etc. We were even back full time in the office by the first part of July.

There's no shortage of people out there who want to do things in person. In fact, I would say the cloistered introverts huddled in front of their screens are a very small minority.
This. I am an extrovert. I am also a single, 60 year old woman. Here's what my week looks like: Sunday, church and then out to eat with friends. I will catch up on laundry and all that good stuff tomorrow. Monday I go to the gym, then to a Stretch Zone appointment, then to the vet, then I go get my teeth cleaned, then finally home. Tuesday is a "light day" and I'll need it, because in a coupla weeks I will be spending my Tuesdays teaching a class. Wednesday, the gym again, then volunteering at a soup kitchen, then I will be donating platelets. Thursday through Saturday I work each day all day - lots of interactions with customers and lots and lots of walking through a huge showroom. Plans every evening after work. Then Sunday it all starts back up again. So no, I don't do much socializing only online, though I am such an extrovert that I also talk here as well.

Old 08-27-2022, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I feel like I walk down the middle between extrovert and introvert. I have friends in both camps.

No, I don't think extroverts suffer because of online socializing. Extreme extroverts make friends wherever they go, and no one's a stranger. I'm thinking of a couple of friends of mine...both of them are inclusive without trying. Everyone is a potential friend.
I work with someone who asked me today, "Those last customers of yours...the ones who sent you the pictures...had you met them before? I mean, you knew them already, right?" I said, "No, I just met them today." She said, "Oh, it just seemed like all of you liked each other so much." I said, "I DO like them - a lot. They liked me too. But we'd just met today." At one point, when they were going back and forth with me about pricing, the wife looked at the husband and said "Oh, come on, Kathryn wouldn't steer us wrong," and she was right, but that was straight out of the mouth of one extrovert to two others (her husband and me).

Friends everywhere.

Old 08-27-2022, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
I honestly don't even believe in the idea of extroverts. Many "extroverts" still do a lot of things indoors, such as communicating online, doing phone calls, gardening, watching TV shows or movies. I think no one is purely extroverted, although ultra introverts definitely do exist.
I get what you're saying and every test I have ever taken has said I am an extrovert, whatever that is. I do love meeting people, but I also get tired of going going going and talking talking talking. I enjoy interacting with people but I also really love staying home, watching a movie, gardening, decorating, etc. It's like I need alone time to recharge.

Old 08-27-2022, 08:20 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,218,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I've included a poll question for those extroverts who have lived both before and after the shift to online socializing. (Let's say 2010 is the year a lot of socializing moved online.)

I am an introvert and feel like the internet has enriched my social life, but I could imagine a different experience for extroverts.

How has it been?
I couldn't take tell you I don't participate in much social media outside of this. No Facebook, no Twitter, no linked in, no snap chat. I did try online dating before I met my partner I found it strange people didn't want to meet they wanted to *** on line for an eternity before agreeing to a meet up so it wasn't really for me.

Old 09-06-2022, 07:05 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,403,354 times
Actually, I think that online socializing is harder for introverts, not extroverts. When you have parties or group meetings or conferences in person, introverts can seek out side conversations in a corner or a hallway or wherever. But on Zoom, everyone is pinned there in one big room (sure you can use the chat to have side conversations, but it’s not at all the same thing as talking to someone in person). The three most extroverted people in the group totally dominate the group conversation and the introverts are just stuck listening instead of going off somewhere on their own. Either that or the group is moderated with people raising their hands to speak, which is also totally artificial.

When our church was on-line, during the social hour, our two or three social butterflies would just endlessly discuss their weekends, and the other 29 people there would just sort of listen and nod.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology