Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2023, 05:36 PM

1,701 posts, read 781,468 times

Advertisements

It’s self centered to say “I don’t have ANY regrets.” It’s a defense mechanism meant to protect oneself when they know they feel bad about something.

Everyone has done something they wish they hadn’t, so admit you feel bad about it and be honest with yourself… and then learn from it. All you can do is forgive yourself of whatever it is and move forward. Please don’t put up a front and say “no regrets”. You’ll never conquer them until you acknowledge them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2023, 05:38 PM
bu2

24,071 posts, read 14,866,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
It’s self centered to say “I don’t have ANY regrets.” It’s a defense mechanism meant to protect oneself when they know they feel bad about something.

Everyone has done something they wish they hadn’t, so admit you feel bad about it and be honest with yourself… and then learn from it. All you can do is forgive yourself of whatever it is and move forward. Please don’t put up a front and say “no regrets”. You’ll never conquer them until you acknowledge them.
I regret reading some of these posts by people who feel the need to denigrate people who don't think exactly like they do!

Old 10-27-2023, 03:14 AM

24,600 posts, read 9,440,677 times
Quote:
I have to agree, even people who have always made the "right" choices, often regret they didn't make them sooner. Even a millionaire or billionaire regrets in not investing in that one thing that would've made them even more. Or they regret doing things that turned out to waste their time (time is money for the very wealthy).

Michael Jordan is rich and famous, yet no doubt he regrets trying to own and manage an NBA team.

Old 10-27-2023, 04:40 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,157,568 times
Yes. Regret is the main reason I have changed from the past. That doesn't mean I am closer to some family members, just that negative interactions are no longer allowed.

Old 10-27-2023, 04:57 AM

3,108 posts, read 1,002,933 times
The question was:"Do you have regrets that weigh on you?"

I don't. I do have a few small regrets, I think most people have them in life. It's normal. But I don't have regrets that weigh on me. Nothing like that.

I was honest in answering this question.

Old 11-01-2023, 03:31 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,444,730 times
If "weigh" means still processing how to make amends or ways to 'accept" that poor action or deed as a part of our life story- then you bet your bippy I have some humdingers!!

No one is luggage free , we carry certain things in life til we make a resolution . Its part of the grow and regroup.

Making amends and empowering the other person or circumstance is how we can link ourselves to humanity.

Its that confrontation that halts us sometimes ...be it with another or with ourselves. So when we "regret", its the stall or pause we lingered upon . Perhaps a wee bit longer then necessary or the opportunity wont be there to resolve. ( building that bridge).

Amazing how 20/20 happens after the fact, then in comes regret to sit with us. I think next time Regret comes a knock'n Im going to put up a do not disturb sign! I'm getting a tad bit tired of that old knock at the door and staying past the phase necessary.

Old 11-01-2023, 06:51 AM

1,400 posts, read 764,486 times
The survey might be interesting, thanks : D I have to imagine that everyone has regrets unless they somehow managed to sail through life without making ANY mistakes. It has been said that on their deathbed, no one wishes they spent more time at the office.

Old 11-13-2023, 12:29 AM

15,853 posts, read 6,311,569 times
Quote:

If they are conquered, would they still be regrets?

Old 11-13-2023, 05:40 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy739 View Post
I have to imagine that everyone has regrets unless they somehow managed to sail through life without making ANY mistakes. It has been said that on their deathbed, no one wishes they spent more time at the office.
I do, actually; one of my biggest mistakes and regrets was retiring. So there you go!

Old 11-13-2023, 07:59 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times
I have regrets, when I was a young girl in high school, was a complex and confused person....I was abused as a kid growing up, and I was so angry....so I treated some kids in school unkindly...and just in the past 4 years, I contacted them and apologized to them....or sent apology letters to them....yes, I regret hurting people very much....and so wish I had not....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology