Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2022, 08:32 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times

Advertisements

This only happened to me during the pandemic. What made it worse was I couldn't go to the gym. I put on 15 pounds before things started returning to the new normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2022, 08:50 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I seriously doubt that everyone who overeats out of boredom, unhappiness, or frustration is autistic.

That would be most of the population.
OP is autistic. Many people with ASD struggle with overeating and binge eating.

Old 11-05-2022, 09:04 AM

21,881 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
OP is autistic. Many people with ASD struggle with overeating and binge eating.
As well as well assuming everyone else is also autistic and attributing every life problem to autism.

Old 11-05-2022, 09:28 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Self-restraint. Nowadays lots of people have problem exercising it. Some don't even understand the meaning.
I think a whole bunch of people would be happier if they knew how to self discipline. The trend: I want, I deserve it, is is many instances way out of control.

https://positivepsychology.com/self-...ine-exercises/

Funny, most animals would walk out of a pile of food when they feel full, but not humans - many just keep eating...

Old 11-05-2022, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Self-restraint. Nowadays lots of people have problem exercising it. Some don't even understand the meaning.
I think a whole bunch of people would be happier if they knew how to self discipline. The trend: I want, I deserve it, is is many instances way out of control...Funny, most animals would walk out of a pile of food when they feel full, but not humans - many just keep eating...
I exhibit AMAZING self-restraint and self-discipline when it comes to other things -- spending, for instance. But even my iron will is no match for midlife, menopausal ghrelin!

And again, "most animals" are not eating "a pile" of sugar, fat, and salt, which are all extremely addictive.

But I agree with you in general that we've now raised generations of instant gratification addicts, as well...

Old 11-05-2022, 12:37 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Not anymore. But I did at one time in my life. Probably ate more often without thinking than anything as boredom is seldom a problem.

What I find absurd is people who look at the clock and if it says a certain time then they eat. I get it for people who are working or people with medical reasons. But for the rest of us it just shows how mindless and conditioned our eating habits can become.

And you know what? Acting from habit or conditioning is one of the causes of dissatisfaction with life. Turns us into robots. Causes us to overlook the pleasures that can come from using our senses with awareness.

The solution is mindfulness. Am I actually hungry? What is it that I want to eat or what does my body need right now?

Thinking about what you want, anticipating it and then deliberately enjoying every moment of it and maybe even remembering how good it was is a way to prolong satisfaction.

Old 11-05-2022, 12:51 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
As well as well assuming everyone else is also autistic and attributing every life problem to autism.
What makes you think this is an assumption? OP is autistic.

Old 11-05-2022, 03:12 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
But he didn't say anything about that in THIS thread (until people were puzzled as to why OTHERS were making that connection, so he responded), so those of us who are/were not familiar with the OP's other posts were naturally very confused when suddenly there were comments about autism.

If you (or others mentioning autism) would have just added something like, "I know from other posts that OP is autistic," THAT would have made it all make sense.

What I was most surprised about was that he didn't realize how common eating out of boredom, depression, etc. IS. There have been about a million articles written about that already. OP, just google and you'll see how common it is! (NOT that that's a good thing!)

Old 11-05-2022, 03:45 PM

Quote:
The assumption by the OP is that "everyone else is also autistic," as I wrote. Reading comprehension.

Old 11-05-2022, 03:51 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,170,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
I have aspergers/autism
Oh ok now I see why. Maybe and EDIT in the original post saying you have aspergers/autism might help people to know, just a suggestion hope you don't mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology