Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2022, 04:28 PM

4,993 posts, read 5,292,680 times

Advertisements

I do it. My husband pointed it out to me. I'd grab a bite of something every time I walked through the kitchen. My body gets on a schedule and demands food even when I don't really need the calories. I noticed that I could have a day with a change in my schedule or go out of town for a few days and I could eat less or avoid extra snacking.

Could you change your schedule and work in some other changes?

I've tried various things to lose weight. What is working for me right now is that I had a major life change where I have more time for myself. No excuses. I've been able to dedicate more time to moving around. I walk about an hour twice a day and make sure I get a minimum of 10,000 steps per day. I've cut out most bread, rice, cereal, crackers, etc. I cut my coffee consumption down to 6 oz twice a day because I think it encourages me to eat more or crave something sweet. I have drastically cut my portion size to one bowl or small plate of food twice per day and then I have a couple of smallish snacks. I'm on a fruit Popsicle kick right now where I have two per day as I crave them and I think that helps with my need for sweets although there is probably a lot of sugar added. I am not a vegetarian, but one of my meals is mainly a vegetable based meal such as salad, or a homemade soup or a stir fry with mainly vegetables and none to very little rice.

If I have to eat out, I'm getting the burger with a water and no fries or I do a kids meal. I may even throw away part of the bun. Pizza is limited to two slices. I have to eat something else healthier if I'm still hungry after that. I live with other people so there is still some junk food in my house, but I try to keep the junk food I like out of the house so I bought Twizzlers and candy I hate for Halloween so I wouldn't be tempted.

My doctor has suggested not eating after 6 pm. I'm not quite there on that because I still need a snack, but I make it a small snack. It's usually something dense that will hold me over for a little while.

Anyway, this is what is currently working for me. You may need to try some things and find what works for you. Start slow with a goal of adding on more. For instance, I started walking a half mile and kept adding to it. It may have been a half mile twice a day, but it gave me energy. I didn't change my diet overnight, but small changes add up and become easier over time.

Good luck! I hope you figure out what will work best for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2022, 05:19 PM

25,964 posts, read 22,126,936 times
No. Three meals a day faithfully, and a very light snack between breakfast and lunch, and then again between lunch and dinner. No eating after 6:00 pm.

I guess, though, that I really don't get bored. I like to walk for exercise, and do crafts. Crafts certainly help in the evening as being busy, even with the others watching TV, I avoid thinking about eating something, and I made the rule of no snacking after 6:00 pm.

I think a big issue is the commercials for fast food, but they don't tempt us. I see a lot of late delivery of pizza, even when they'll be up at 5:30 AM going to work.

Old 11-05-2022, 09:31 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
I hate flying and get motion sick if I read. So I always bring stuff to eat while flying.

Old 11-25-2022, 05:31 PM

588 posts, read 322,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
For years and years I have eaten food when not hungry just because im bored and depressed.

Has anyone else experienced this??

Even after I have has dinner at 6pm I will habe a midnight snack or mcdonalds or a frozen pizza.

I dont know how to stop it??
6 hrs after a meal, if still up people get hungry. Maybe eat 3-4 or hrs before bedtime. Definitely don't snack between meals because it creates urges to eat. Between meals (5-6hrs) chew xylitol gum, sip on a mug of warm herbal tea and distract yourself. Also, talk to therapist if you have one about this. If you are eating adequate nutrition(enough protein, sm amt carbs, fiber, vegetables, fruit) at your meals you should have satiety and can more easily resist boredom eating because you’re still digesting your last meal. If your prior meal lacked something, you might be more tempted to snack.

Old 11-27-2022, 05:50 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
For years and years I have eaten food when not hungry just because im bored and depressed.

Has anyone else experienced this??

Even after I have has dinner at 6pm I will habe a midnight snack or mcdonalds or a frozen pizza.

I dont know how to stop it??
I used to do that.

In my case, it was because I was not getting enough nutrients so I was having intense cravings. I started eating a lot more nutritional foods, then the cravings were less intense.

That was MY case. Your situation might be different.

Old 11-27-2022, 06:47 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
I just have to be nibbling on something in the evening while I watch TV or read a book. It doesn't have to be highly caloric. Often I snack on crackers or suck on hard candies. Call it an oral fixation...

Old 12-06-2022, 11:04 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I just have to be nibbling on something in the evening while I watch TV or read a book. It doesn't have to be highly caloric. Often I snack on crackers or suck on hard candies. Call it an oral fixation...
Mine is liquid. Anything I'm sitting around doing, has to be accompanied by some form of soothing liquid, whether it's lime-aid (no lemons here), ginger tea, wine, cocktails, beer.

But no snacking. Neither of us has any desire for that. We don't buy snacks or convenience foods. Often eat one meal a day. Sometimes my stomach growls, but that doesn't translate into a desire to eat. It's not a will-power thing; we just don't think about food that way.

Sometimes if bored, I will think about what food we HAVE, or what I could make out of it. But it's not a desire to eat thing.

Old 12-06-2022, 12:30 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Sometimes my stomach growls, but that doesn't translate into a desire to eat. It's not a will-power thing; we just don't think about food that way.
How DO you think about food, then?

Old 12-06-2022, 02:23 PM

13,075 posts, read 7,515,583 times
Breakfast
A 6" pastry with cream cheese center.
A ground beef-veg-poached egg with beef pho seasoning.
2 cups of coffee
2 slices of fruit cake

Lunch
a pita bread -smoked salmon sand (very generous mayonaise)
serving of yesterday's trout with a mediterranean tomato-olives, with fresh cilantro, oregano, thyme, rosemary.
Loose whole leaf premium green tea.
a honey crisp apple (large)
2 slices of fruit cake with dollop of Chobani willamette valley raspberry yogurt.
handful of walnuts.

yes.
YFMV

Old 12-18-2022, 03:29 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,324,191 times
Does anyone eat food when they are bored??

Nope, not me. I really have self-discipline. I don't only want to gain weight, but the more importance is I don't want to be obese, and that will affect to my health and it's hard to move around. I don't want eventually to be 500 lbs and just to lie in bed for others to roll me left and right, or to use a mechanical lift to lift me, and wash me. And they could hurt their backs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology