Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2022, 12:30 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,397,693 times

Advertisements

OP, I empathize with you. Congratulations on your sobriety. It's extremely difficult but don't quit before the miracles happen. It took about 8 months rehab , about 18 years ago, until my brain repaired itself and brain chemicals were corrected. Not fully but close to normal. Lots of damages to repair.

Substance abuse is bad medicine you used to self-medicate emotional pain. By quitting you have taken away the "medication" but the emotional hole you were filling is not healed. You have to work on the emotional problems along with maintaining sobriety. The 12 steps are designed to do that. I recommend you join a group therapy circle.

Addiction is recognized as a disease therefore a disability.

At your next meetings, ask your fellows where they got/get their support. They've all been in dire straits of their own and will have some valuable advice for you.

Talk to Salvation Army, YMCA, Catholic Social Services, local community non-profits, halfway houses. Your gov should have a job bank you can go to and look over their job boards for employers hiring. If they are anything like what I get in my region, you can also learn job hunting skills. Do you have an addictions advocate/outreach in your area?

You need all the help you can get so ask, ask, ask.

Quote:
From another CD poster:
Sign up with the local temp agencies in your area. Often times, companies need low-skills employees for production, warehouse and assembly line jobs. It's a good way to get experience, and show people you can show up on time and be dependable.

Old 11-11-2022, 12:54 AM

7,672 posts, read 3,301,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofoptions View Post
I havent been enirely honest but this isn't my first go around with this. I had 22 months clean the first time and ****ed it up, people, places and things. I have been through the steps and I'm not trying to do that again. With that said I had a job with ups handling packages but no money for steel toed boots so I couldnt take it.

Create a Go Fund Me account for the steel toe boots and post it here. If that's all you need to get started. UPS is an excellent long term employer if you can hang in there for the long haul. They have a pension.

You need to live on a bus route or near light rail or something if you are not going to invest in a car for a while.

I've been working full time since I was 15 (45 years ago). You do have to mold your life around being employable (get the stuff that you need to work). It's just a step by step process. When I was very inexperienced and had also moved I started at a Temp agency. That way after a few months you now have verifiable experience and then you take a better job and stay a year or two and keep building on it. Then, at some point I kept my day job and did 5 years in night school and got an accounting degree and then I had to start over in a new field and do the baby steps of getting better and better jobs until I have hit a wall and just need to do another 5-7-10 years and be done... I'm not sure why younger people these days expect to "retire" so young.

Old 11-11-2022, 05:08 AM

30 posts, read 11,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
OP, I empathize with you. Congratulations on your sobriety. It's extremely difficult but don't quit before the miracles happen. It took about 8 months rehab , about 18 years ago, until my brain repaired itself and brain chemicals were corrected. Not fully but close to normal. Lots of damages to repair.

Substance abuse is bad medicine you used to self-medicate emotional pain. By quitting you have taken away the "medication" but the emotional hole you were filling is not healed. You have to work on the emotional problems along with maintaining sobriety. The 12 steps are designed to do that. I recommend you join a group therapy circle.

Addiction is recognized as a disease therefore a disability.

At your next meetings, ask your fellows where they got/get their support. They've all been in dire straits of their own and will have some valuable advice for you.

Talk to Salvation Army, YMCA, Catholic Social Services, local community non-profits, halfway houses. Your gov should have a job bank you can go to and look over their job boards for employers hiring. If they are anything like what I get in my region, you can also learn job hunting skills. Do you have an addictions advocate/outreach in your area?

You need all the help you can get so ask, ask, ask.
I have signed up with three temp agency's aroun here, one keeps calling me back but I have no way to get there as its in marrietta,OH. One actually found me two jobs but they aren't on the bus route and you aren't walking to them. The last one the only thing they had for me was a one day job which I took so far.

I'm all for therapy and everything else but me having a job and somewhere to say is more important right now.

Old 11-11-2022, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Create a Go Fund Me account for the steel toe boots and post it here. If that's all you need to get started. UPS is an excellent long term employer if you can hang in there for the long haul. They have a pension.

You need to live on a bus route or near light rail or something if you are not going to invest in a car for a while.

I've been working full time since I was 15 (45 years ago). You do have to mold your life around being employable (get the stuff that you need to work). It's just a step by step process. When I was very inexperienced and had also moved I started at a Temp agency. That way after a few months you now have verifiable experience and then you take a better job and stay a year or two and keep building on it. Then, at some point I kept my day job and did 5 years in night school and got an accounting degree and then I had to start over in a new field and do the baby steps of getting better and better jobs until I have hit a wall and just need to do another 5-7-10 years and be done... I'm not sure why younger people these days expect to "retire" so young.
I wouldn't even know where to begin how to start go fund me account. The door house shut on me for the ups job but I could still use the boots because there are lots of jobs that you need them for. There are buses here but the jobs I can get they arent on the route plus I have no money.

Old 11-11-2022, 06:20 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,925,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Create a Go Fund Me account for the steel toe boots and post it here.
Great idea Wile E. I will contribute to a GoFundMe for steel-toed shoes. I bet others here will too.

This person has reached out for help. Let's do our part to assist him. GoFundMe's can be a great thing, as in a case like this. Giving someone a hand up.

OP, someone usually does it on another person's behalf. It's a little tricky, so someone who has either done it before or can figure it out is optional.

I think in this case someone in your local area needs to help you with this and ensure that the boots get to you. A lot people are very wary and would feel safer donating that way.

Old 11-11-2022, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Great idea Wile E. I will contribute to a GoFundMe for steel-toed shoes. I bet others here will too.

This person has reached out for help. Let's do our part to assist him. GoFundMe's can be a great thing, as in a case like this. Giving someone a hand up.

OP, someone usually does it on another person's behalf. It's a little tricky, so someone who has either done it before or can figure it out is optional.

I think in this case someone in your local area needs to help you with this and ensure that the boots get to you. A lot people are very wary and would feel safer donating that way.
I'm not from this area so I really don't know anyone.

Old 11-11-2022, 08:05 AM

You're going to have to get a hold of your thoughts and emotions, because it's all on you at this point. I've been there, others in life have been there. This is not a unique situation for many, many people.

It may look like there is no solution, but there IS one. It's just not arriving on your timeline. Again, we've all been there with something in our lives.

My experience is that thinking negatively actually keeps the solution away. Even though it's the most difficult thing you have ever done, you must do it. You can get through this. You can.

Someone in West Virginia has got to be willing and able to help in this situation. Yes, you've been turned down or shafted, but you have to keep trying. West Virginia I guess isn't the best place to try and pull yourself up out of a hole, but it can and will still happen.

Old 11-11-2022, 08:35 AM

29,756 posts, read 34,444,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
You're going to have to get a hold of your thoughts and emotions, because it's all on you at this point. I've been there, others in life have been there. This is not a unique situation for many, many people.

It may look like there is no solution, but there IS one. It's just not arriving on your timeline. Again, we've all been there with something in our lives.

My experience is that thinking negatively actually keeps the solution away. Even though it's the most difficult thing you have ever done, you must do it. You can get through this. You can.

Someone in West Virginia has got to be willing and able to help in this situation. Yes, you've been turned down or shafted, but you have to keep trying. West Virginia I guess isn't the best place to try and pull yourself up out of a hole, but it can and will still happen.
I think the OP is behind the 8-ball in this situation, because in their life, they haven't experienced a functional support system and haven't been able to trust people to really help them, and that affects how they navigate the world. There are resources out there for people like the OP, but they might not 100% what they're expecting on their timeline--social services often have to make do with very little support, and are often stretched thin. That doesn't mean it's hopeless, but it takes patience

Old 11-11-2022, 09:03 AM

3,246 posts, read 1,697,835 times
Quit looking for a job and create your own job. A good portion of people who have jobs hate their jobs so why look for jobs when you should be looking to create your own job by looking for opportunities. It can be as simple as cleaning houses or yards to start or washing cars or doing deliveries and lead to bigger things such as helping someone else find a job.

Old 11-11-2022, 09:03 AM

Yes, very true. I went from a fairly strong support system as a youth, but in my middle adulthood it was all on me. It still is at age 71. It is scary as hell, but that means I have to be diligent and resourceful and not give up hope. If you think resources aren't out there

Here's an idea for you: I'm just over the limit for getting food stamps where I live. It's always been that way. I can't qualify for Medicaid because I "make too much money." (Ha!) That also means I can't get housing unless I'm completely incapacitated and then I might end up in a crappy place because of how much Medicaid will pay for me. My dad's rent just went up $500/mo and now he's facing how to pay for his assisted living because he's maxed out. Where will he end up at age 100-1/2?? And on it goes.

Challenges exist at any age in life. Learn young to be resourceful. The solutions are out there even if it looks bleak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology