Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2022, 01:26 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,872,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesparrow View Post
There is no objective criteria that defines who is "smart" and who is "stupid." Intelligence is a complex concept and can be difficult to measure. In general, intelligence is thought to include a range of cognitive abilities, such as the ability to learn and retain new information, solve problems, think logically, and adapt to new situations. However, these abilities can vary greatly from person to person and can be influenced by a variety of factors, including genetics, environment, and individual experiences. That being said, it is not fair or accurate to label someone as "smart" or "stupid" based on their intelligence or any other personal characteristic.

Also, you are not necessarily "stupid" if you are not curious. Not everyone is equally curious, and some people may be less inclined to seek out new information or experiences than others. Or you can be curious, but at the same time be an introvert, and that being said, you'll not show curiosity openly as most people do. That doesn't make you stupid. In fact, I would go further and say that it's not even necessary to show your curiosity to others to prove the opposite. IMO it's best to keep being yourself at all costs, no matter what people say.

Though I do agree with the importance of being open-minded and open-hearted as human values, just I don't see them as the only parameters when classifying someone as smart or stupid. This is a wide topic for discussion, so I would just say that I don't agree with classifying people as smart or stupid at all.
There are some really intelligent people who are very stubborn and close-minded. I don't know that there is much correlation with intelligence.

And as you say, there are many types of intelligence. There's a theory on multiple intelligences that defines 9 different types. https://www.lifehack.org/886292/types-of-intelligence

I think most of us know people who are brilliant mathematically, musically or verbally who are lacking in one or both of the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2022, 10:58 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,069,999 times
What are we talking about here--book smarts, street smarts, being smart with life skills and decisions? There are different types of smartness. Someone can be book smart but not street smart. Someone can be street smart but yet very stupid about decisions and life skills, for example, they spend money like water, constantly have car accidents, etc.

I don't agree that things like temperament or being "openhearted" have anything whatsoever to do with being smart or stupid. I think being smart or stupid is the result of a lifetime of experiencing life and learning what works and what doesn't and not making the same mistakes. If you continue to make the same mistakes in life then that's stupid, not smart.

Old 12-03-2022, 01:18 PM

2,451 posts, read 1,679,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmil View Post
I think some people view "smart" as situational and "stupid" as a catch-all, but I'm actually the opposite. "Stupid" doesn't mean you don't know anything; to me it means you have a hard time learning new things. Or maybe I'm saying that backwards .

My thing is, the ability to learn to learn something new very often comes down to temperament and curiosity.

I'll give you a fairly innocuous example. Relative to the rest of the world, I was a fairly late adopter of smart phones. In fact, I went basically the entire 2000s without a cell phone, my first phone was a Motorola Razr that I had for years. I'd gotten a raise at work and I decided on a whim to buy a smart phone (I'd been getting suggested to do so by ex-wife for years). I had no idea how to use it (I bought an iPhone) or anything about the Apple interface. But I spent time seeing what it could do, when I needed to figure something out, I Google'd and did my research and figured out how to use it.

I know some older people who still don't know how to use a smart phone because they don't want to take the time (lack of patience) to sit down and learn how to use it. It's not the most difficult thing in the world, but it may take a little time to get used to it. Many of them don't, so they stick to the flip phones of yester-year.
One of my life long best friends finally got a smart phone about a year ago. He is dumb as a box of rocks on a good day. He is a great guy but after several of us including his 30 something year old showed him how to use different options many many times he still has a hard time just using the phone part of the smart phone. The world is full of stupid people. Being stupid has nothing to do with being a bad or good person it just means they are stupid.

Old 12-03-2022, 02:10 PM

334 posts, read 181,562 times
My Nana said; "Some people weren't there the day that the brains were passed out...like your father"

Old 12-03-2022, 02:46 PM

985 posts, read 540,943 times
I couldnt disagree more with the OP. IMO intellignence is a spectrum of abilities. I'm good at math and spacial reasoning but poor at selling. Others may be terrible at math but be able to think clearly in high stress situations or may be able to write music.

Almost everyone is given something, even if it's only a small amount. Unfortunately most people dont work to strengthen what they were given but instead watch to much TV or play to many hours of video games.

Old 12-03-2022, 03:34 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,578,513 times
having knowledge

and seeking knowledge

seeking to learn as much as possible and having curiosity

Old 12-03-2022, 05:47 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,955,121 times
A relative -- I won't say who -- accused me of using "large words" just to make him feel inferior. I said, "No, that's the vocabulary a good education gave me."

Old 12-03-2022, 05:53 PM

1,864 posts, read 840,136 times
i find the stupid people just doing what they are told, and have no thought on what or why they are doing it

Old 12-03-2022, 05:56 PM

13,070 posts, read 7,502,913 times
It's all in the perception:
There is, stupid.
There is, smart.
There is, stupid smart.
There is smart stupid.
And lastly, smart and stupid
And runner-up, stupid and smart.
What do I know?
YSMV

Old 12-03-2022, 06:35 PM

4,253 posts, read 3,173,035 times
Smart people make stupid mistakes.....but tend to learn from them. Stupid people make the same mistakes over and over...and learning nothing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology